PDA

View Full Version : Need a new computer

BullChip
01-18-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm starting from scratch and getting a friend to build it for me. Although he knows a lot about computers, I'm looking for advice here because of you poker junkies who use your computer solely for poker... you junkies /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Please post specific parts or links to parts that I'll need.
Remember, I'm starting from scratch so I need all the essentials. Monitor as well. Solely for poker, school, movies, music, games. You know.

Shajen
01-18-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting from scratch and getting a friend to build it for me. Although he knows a lot about computers, I'm looking for advice here because of you poker junkies who use your computer solely for poker... you junkies /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Please post specific parts or links to parts that I'll need.
Remember, I'm starting from scratch so I need all the essentials. Monitor as well. Solely for poker, school, movies, music, games. You know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anymore there's no need whatsoever to build your own. It's cheaper to just get a dell or something. Seriously.

kenberman
01-18-2005, 04:31 PM
I just built a computer for myself. just my opinion...

1 GB of DDR Ram
-Any newer CPU (Pentium 4 2.5ghz and up, or Sempron equivalent) will do)
-Can't give you a Mobo recommendation until you pick your CPU, but the key factors I looked for were:
- RAM expandibility (mine is up to 4GB)
- roomy front size bus (800 mhz at least)
- built in audio (since I'm not an audiophile)
- built in video is nice (but not nec.)
- lots of expansion slots...basically an ATX case, not a micro case
- I bought a mutiple format DVD/CD burner. not nec, but kinda cool. I'll buy a 2nd DVD-ROM drive soon, when I find a cheap one.
- for poker you just need a basic (32MB) video card. more important are the features on it. you'll probably want dual-monitor support, VGA & DVI hookups, and 1600x1200 resolution support
- I bought a 120GB hard drive from Western Digital. if you want to get trickier, buy a big drive like this, plus a smaller, faster drive dedicated to running Windows.
- after market heatsink/fan, if you want to overclock your CPU.

I bought all this stuff from microcenter.com/craigslist, and after doing all the pain in the ass rebates, my net expense will be $250.

the standard monitor people love is the Dell 2001fp. key feature, again, is 1600x1200 resolution. the price for these varies, but people seem to snag them for around $550-$600.

kenberman
01-18-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anymore there's no need whatsoever to build your own. It's cheaper to just get a dell or something. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

The computer I just built for $250 would have cost me at least $500 from Dell. I saved money b/c I didn't need a new copy of Windows/Office, and I didn't need a monitor or other peripherals that Dell throws in for "free". If you have this stuff, it's cheaper to build one for yourself.

You get the added benefits of paying for only what you need, and some know how in case things breakdown. of course, you have to actually build the thing, and you lose tech support.

Shajen
01-18-2005, 06:07 PM
this is true, and 3 years ago I'd agree with you. Now I simply don't have the time nor do I want to put in the effort in building my own.

For me the $150 is easier to pay than the hassle of doing everything myself.

Popinjay
01-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Keys:
Stable components
Decent video card (9600 Pro with Dual DVI would be great)
Dell 2001FP LCD (the ultimate in 4 tabling)
Fast harddrive
At least 512MB of RAM, preferably 1GB

Check out the General Hardware forum here (http://forums.anandtech.com), it's the best resource for building your own computer.

Dangergirl
01-18-2005, 06:29 PM
I think AncientPC posted a nice setup a few days ago. You can search OOT for his post and comments from others on improving it.

BullChip
01-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the specs/details.