PDA

View Full Version : How much do bartenders make?

B00T
01-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Any of you guys ever work as a bartender at a club? People in college bars must make a killing when those places are packed. I was seeing one girl who's best friend worked at a college bar and would make on average $500 a night.

It must be nice to work 2 nights a week and make 50k a year. Anyone here ever do it? Why did you stop? If you want to brag and tell us about the drunk girls you take home, feel free!

LALDAAS
01-18-2005, 04:09 PM
My best friends brother is as straight as an arrow and is as pretty as a man can be. He works at a gay club as the head bartender and on a really good night can pullin like 1-2k. All the queens throw so much money around tryin to take him home for the night.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-18-2005, 04:10 PM
I worked as a barback at a college bar for a summer and the first part of the fall term. We got something like a 10% cut of the bartenders' tips plus 10% of the waitresses' tips. On a good friday/saturday night, we each (probably about 10 of us) got about 40-50 bucks. So... let's say 50x10x10 = $5000 between probably 6 or 7 tenders and maybe 3-4 waitresses. That's an average of about $500 per tender/waitress, but the waitresses didn't get as much as the tenders, so adjust up a little bit. That's not an every night thing though and the weekdays are MUCH slower.

lucas9000
01-18-2005, 04:16 PM
depends on the size of her tits /images/graemlins/wink.gif

LALDAAS
01-18-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
depends on the size of her tits /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
This is about true as it gets

jakethebake
01-18-2005, 04:23 PM
I worked at several bars years ago. The variation was huge. At one meat-market dance club, I made good money, averaged over $500 a night three nights a week. At a little neighborhood place $75 was a really good night.

LALDAAS
01-18-2005, 04:27 PM
I just wanted to piont out though people who bartend really work for that money, its not easy cash.

turnipmonster
01-18-2005, 04:47 PM
on good nights bartenders make a lot of money, just like on good days you make a lot of money playing poker. problem is, as you know, not all the days are good days.

Phat Mack
01-18-2005, 06:53 PM
As pointed out elswhere, it all depends. Clubs can have two kinds of bartenders: one whose primary job is mixing drinks for the waitresses (called a service bartender); the other type serves the drinkers directly at the bar. For a good bartender, the more direct contact with the customers, the higher the tips.

The same club might run one bartender and two waitresses on a "ggod" week night, and run three bartenders and nine waitresses on a weekend. The weekend will have the higher gross, but the tips will be spread among twelve employees, so the weekday bartender can make twice as much, sometimes for less work. On the other hand, a slow week day night may provide little more than minimal tips. The highest paying shifts are always prized possessions, and are continually fought for.

Another consideration is how much of the tips the bartenders keep. They may be required to tip out hostesses, barbacks, busboys, managers and who knows else. Also a consideration is how much must be reported for withholding.

It's a high-paying job for someone who is extremely well organized, extremely fast and has a good rap. 90% of the people who aspire to the profession come from the drink/party culture, so it's easy for someone with a clue to shine.

Why did you stop?

Club bartending can be the most tedious job in the world. Kindergarden teachers have more intelligent clients. It's like playing poker--a good way to make money while you're doing something else, but nothing to base your life on.

jakethebake
01-19-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Another consideration is how much of the tips the bartenders keep. They may be required to tip out hostesses, barbacks, busboys, managers and who knows else.

[/ QUOTE ]
places i worked the bar always tipped out the baarbacks, but waitresses tipped out the bartenders and usually bussers.

[ QUOTE ]
Also a consideration is how much must be reported for withholding.

[/ QUOTE ]
kidding right?

[ QUOTE ]
Club bartending can be the most tedious job in the world. Kindergarden teachers have more intelligent clients. It's like playing poker--a good way to make money while you're doing something else, but nothing to base your life on.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought it was fun for awhile. Lotsa girls. Lotsa fun. You see some funny [censored] too. But it does get old.