PDA

View Full Version : Holy Action!

smoore
01-18-2005, 03:51 PM
For the past couple months I've been spreading a freeroll NLHE tournament at a local bar where they put up the prize pool and pay me a little money. For the past two weeks, this has resulted in a drunken home game afterwards. Last night was UNBELIEVEABLE! There were three solid players at the table, one known maniac who we beat up all the time, one girl who I would classify as SLP-A and FIVE complete newbies. These people couldn't play poker to save thier lives, it was great. .05/.10 NLHE and $3 postflop bets were not uncommon at all. I was card dead but got my stack in a couple times when I had way the best of it. Here's an example:

6 handed, I'm UTG w/KdKh. I raise to 0.60, newbie just to my left pushes allin for $9.80. His gf calls, one fold, *my* gf calls, one fold, I call knowing that if no A flops all my money goes in (yes, that's crazy action but it had happened more than a few times this night). Flop 4c9dJc, my gf pushes, I call and the third player calls her last 0.75 or something. Yay! Runner runner flush for my gf with her AcJs and that's that. Boo! The orig. pusher didn't show his cards and his gf had QQ. It was quite early in the morning and that busted the two newbies so we called it a night.

The really amazing thing is... the very first hand I VP$IP'd of the night I had KcKd and lost to AcKs when we both runner runner'd a backdoor flush too. Weird start and finish.

Anyway, if you're looking to get some good small NLHE action going you might talk to some bar owners and see if they want to spread a freeroll. Everyone seems really jazzed up to play a $20 game after that.

TrailofTears
01-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Hey smoore, can you give me a bit more detail as to how the freeroll is run? What supplies are necessary? What is the payout? How does the bar do in terms of profits? How many people play? Anything else that is pertinent to the situation? This is something I would be interested in proposing to a few of the bar owners in the area I know to see if I can't set something up. Thanks in advance for the info.

- ToT

smoore
01-18-2005, 07:15 PM
I have a decent table we use for the "final table". Players deal to themselves until it's down to 9 handed, then I deal.

homepokertourney.com gave me most of my info. I use tournament director on a laptop to time the tournament. I have 600 chips that will service 25 people. The bar likes it if 20 people are playing.

The bar puts up $50 for the prize pool (bar tabs) and they pay me $50. We pay $25/15/10. I am keeping track of results and there will probably be an invitational at the end of some "season". We register @ 8:30PM and start playing at 9:30. Haven't gone past 1am yet with 20 starters, but it's a crazy game.