PDA

View Full Version : Hatch to Plead Guilty to Tax Evasion

Tron
01-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Link (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&ncid=529&e=3&u=/ap/20050118/ap_en_tv/survivor_charged)

Are you kidding me? How did he think he was going to get away with not filing taxes on the ONE MILLION DOLLARS he won on NATIONAL TV. Not just national TV, but nearly the biggest television event of that entire year (if I remember correctly, the finale of the first Survivor was second only to the Super Bowl).

ThaSaltCracka
01-18-2005, 03:30 PM
he is going to Federal pound me in the ass prison, and I don't think he minds.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Nice.

Demana
01-18-2005, 03:32 PM
The Boston evasion is unacceptable.
As for the Survivor money, didn't he technically earn that while not on US soil; therefore, it is tax exempt?

Dangergirl
01-18-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL

I think this was his plan.

Shajen
01-18-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Boston evasion is unacceptable.
As for the Survivor money, didn't he technically earn that while not on US soil; therefore, it is tax exempt?

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, you have to be out of the country for ~6 months of the year to be able to claim no tax penalty on it. This may be wrong though, not sure. I do know the cutoff for paying taxes in a war zone is >$90k, if you make less than 90k you don't pay taxes on it.

DBowling
01-18-2005, 03:38 PM
make sure you pay your taxes on poker winnings

[ QUOTE ]
The penalty could be up to five years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine for each charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though im not sure if that is based on the amount he evaded, or if it is a blanket policy.

Lazymeatball
01-18-2005, 04:15 PM
From what I've read in all the tax law threads in the ZOO, earning money outside of the country does not exempt you from paying the IRS, even if you claim residency outside of the US, as long as you are a citizen, Uncle Sam wants his cut. Anyone who has a clue what they are talking about can feel free to correct me.

pokerjo22
01-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Its certainly true that it doesn't matter where you earn your money you have to pay taxes to US if resident in the US. If you're resident in another country though, you would normally pay taxes to that country. Uncle Sam will ask for his cut, but most countries have tax treaties to prevent 'double taxation' (i.e. Brits living in the US pay to the US, while we pay to the UK if we're living in the UK). At least I think thats how it works.

stabn
01-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Am i the only one that thought of Sen. Oren Hatch when they read the title instead of some lame ass reality tv show guy?

Tron
01-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Nope, that's what I thought when I saw it on the Yahoo! front page.

stabn
01-18-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Nope, that's what I thought when I saw it on the Yahoo! front page.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yahoo is notorious for that kind of bullshit. I constantly see some famous sports guys last name and think the story is about them. I click it and it's about some lame ass journeyman rebounder.

DesertCat
01-18-2005, 08:47 PM
There is an exemption on a certain level of income ($80k comes to mind but I'm not sure that's correct). It's to avoid double taxation, but above that level you still owe taxes. If you are married, you and your wife both get to claim the exemption.

deacsoft
01-18-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao

CCx
01-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Kent Brockman: Ladies and Gentlemen, Krusty the Clown was arrested today for massive tax fraud. Krusty's years of tax avoision would never have..

(offstage mumbling)

Kent Brockman: Avoision, it's a crime. Look it up. Would never have...

(offstage mumbling)

Kent Brockman: I don't say evasion, I say avoision