PDA

View Full Version : Call/fold?

ilya
01-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t695)
MP3 (t805)
CO (t775)
Hero (t760)
SB (t1035)
BB (t800)
UTG (t795)
UTG+1 (t745)
UTG+2 (t815)
MP1 (t775)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t30</font>, UTG+1 calls t30, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls t30, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t70</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t225</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, CO calls t155.

Flop: (t562.50) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

CO pushes for 550.

partygirluk
01-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Read dependant. You would have thought that an Ace or set, would go for a C/R and thus you are good, but people dop some crazy things.

He must be scared of you having an Ace. Which makes a bluff less likely.

I lay this down.

etgryphon
01-18-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm with you...

He may have a weak Ace, but that still beats you. Not worth losing chips though. I think you can only make a call here if you have a good read. The only thing that you can beat here would be KJ,QJ,JT and such. I think KJ or Ax is the probable holding.

-Gryph

stlip
01-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Lay it down I'm afraid. Rule No. 1 is live to fight another day. You left yourself enough chips to stay in the fight.

sctennisman
01-18-2005, 03:21 PM
This should be an easy fold. This early in the tournament, there is no need to risk your entire chip stack when there is an Ace on the board. The fact that the pot was raised, re-raised, indicates that they must have something strong (i.e. Ace). As disappointing as it is. . .you must lay this down and go to the next hand. It's still early enough for a good player to increase his chip stack and come out the winner. No need to risk it.

schwza
01-18-2005, 03:25 PM
muckity-muck.

The Yugoslavian
01-18-2005, 03:55 PM
You're pot odds are fairly juicy, but the range of hands that he's likely calling with here pre-flop will contain an ace a large % of the time (although you're the 22 SNG expert so you tell me). The allin on the flop is weirdly fishy as the board is so uncoordinated -- no need to worry about draws, so there is a *chance* he's running a smaller pp bluff or second pair (jacks) bluff here. It doesn't seem to me that the chance he doesn't have an ace is high enough to make a call here correct.

Muck and yell loudly at your screen (then make a silent offering to the poker gods) -- that should help ease the pain.

Yugoslav

danng721
01-18-2005, 03:59 PM
This is a fold.

However, your reraise preflop was too large. If you reraised the size of the pot, you would accomplish what you wanted and save about 70 or so chips in the process. These chips can go a long way in an STT.

schwza
01-18-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, your reraise preflop was too large. If you reraised the size of the pot, you would accomplish what you wanted and save about 70 or so chips in the process. These chips can go a long way in an STT.

[/ QUOTE ]

whaaaaa?

a call would be 70. after that, the pot would be 30+70+70+10+15 = 195, so a pot-sized raise would be to make it 265 to go.

i'd have made it about 250. it's not common to see a pre-flop 3-bettor fold to a 4-bet.

The Yugoslavian
01-18-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, your reraise preflop was too large.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he thought it would chase everyone out then you're probably right. But if you can get someone to call with almost certainly a hand that is a big dog I say, the more $ in the pot the merrier.

[ QUOTE ]

If you reraised the size of the pot, you would accomplish what you wanted and save about 70 or so chips in the process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Save chips with KK? Ummm, isn't one of the main goals in poker to get your chips in with a premium hand?

[ QUOTE ]

These chips can go a long way in an STT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why you want the extra 70 in there preflop when you can be almost positive you have the best of it.

Most of the time an ace won't come up on the flop and some of the time when it does you will still have the best hand and can check the pot down or bet on the flop and take it right there (as opponent likely has Ax or pp, IMO).

Perhaps betting less makes more sense with a hand like QQ or JJ where an overcard is more likely to come on the flop but you still want to value raise preflop as you most likely have the best hand.

Yugoslav

PrayingMantis
01-18-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a call would be 70. after that, the pot would be 30+70+70+10+15 = 195, so a pot-sized raise would be to make it 265 to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot one (edit: actually two!) MP callers. A pot raise will be 255, which means a raise to 325. As it's almost half of hero's stack, pushing is not a bad option at all at this spot with all the action in front. Very good chance for an underpair/Ax call here, in this &lt;$50 buy-in. Any other reasonable raise makes for a pretty awkward situation post-flop, in some cases, like here.

(Edited to add callers and change numbers)

PrayingMantis
01-18-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you reraised the size of the pot, you would accomplish what you wanted and save about 70 or so chips in the process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your idea regarding reraising "the size of the pot" is confused.

The Yugoslavian
01-18-2005, 05:22 PM
I now like Mantis' idea of pushing here. Originally I hadn't bothered to thoroughly add up all the $ in the pot (ugh, cardinal poker sin) and thought a bet to ~225 was about right. However, since the pot is already 255 then I think it's probably push time pre-flop here. If it chases everyone out, then so be it -- free chips are free chips!

Yugoslav

ilya
01-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I think pushing would have been best. I wanted a caller but I suspect I would have gotten one anyway.

MWC
01-18-2005, 06:01 PM
I think it's a fold, but I think it's a little closer than others do. For a whole lot of the players you see at the Party 22s (is that where we are?), the range of hands you'll see played this way includes plenty that you're ahead of, (KQ, QQ, TT-66). (Though arguably, against the player playing those hands that way, you can fold and get your chips back from him soon enough...)