PDA

View Full Version : Small Pair, Three Left in the Game

KenProspero
01-18-2005, 12:21 PM
A situation came up (which is fairly common), that I was wondering about.

Sorry for the length of this, but, I'm taking Lorinda's advice in Rant #6 to heart, I'll post my analysis, then let you all pick me to shreds.

Three left in an SNG. Hero 25% of the chips. Player2 25% of the chips and Big Stack. 50% of the chips.

The only real read on the players is that Big Stack has been trying to aggressively bully Hero and Player2. Not betting ANY hand, but from the number of recent bets, aggressively betting any hand where he has a shot.

Actual Play .

Hero raises to 3x big blind, Player 2 folds, Big Stack bets all-in (effectively meaning Hero has to go all in to call). Hero calls.

(Though not relevant to the analysis) Big Stack shows two overcards (JKo). Big Stack hits a straight on the river and wins -- but it was a coin-flip going in, so this isn't a bad beat story).

After the hand, I thought about the play, and came up with the following.

Analysis .

With 6-6, I'm figuring that I'm probably a coin flip against any other player who bets. (Big underdog if there's an overpair -- slight favorite to two overcards, Big favorite to something like Ax (where x is 5,4,3,2 or to a lesser degree 6). Given that Big Stack is betting loose and agressive, if he bets, chances are greater than average that it's not an overpair.

The most likely player to call is Big Stack. If I beat him, we essentially switch positions and I become Big Stack.

First I determined my expected return here, and assigned the following values for Hero and Player 2 -- Win 20% 2nd 40% 3rd 40% (These percentages were chosen for a specific reason that I will get to later). Big Stack's winning percentages, therefore are Win 60%, 2nd 20%, 3d 20%.

In this case, before the hand, Hero's expected return is 30% of the entire pool (or 30x). Big Stack's expected return is 40x.

Given a coin flip in All in, Hero has a 50% chance of third place (which pays 20x) and a 50% chance of switching places with Big Stack (which would give an expected return of 40x) or an overall expected return of 30x. (This is intentional, the percentages were deliberately chosen to make all-in a break-even proposition).

Now, the question, what should Hero do.

Fold -- This is a -ev move. Either Player2 or Big Stack will pick up the chips already in the pot, which should hurt hero's chances.

Bet -- Yes. First of all, Hero gets folding equity. Secondly, if Big Stack pushes (likely if he bets) Hero is probably 50/50 which is a push. Finally, avoids the -ev of a fold. The amount of the bet -- depends on analysis of players, what bet is the minimum amount that will induce them (esp Big Stack) to fold with a so-so hand.

Check -- No deep analysis, my gut says Yuck, this is weak. Either fold or be prepared to go to the mats on this. Giving free or cheap cards can't be the right thing here.

Conclusion, in the above scenario, bet (be prepared to push) or push has to be right. In the hand, my raise to 3xbig blind was probably weak, Need to bet bigger (maybe push) to drive out other players.

Additional factors. I think my percentages for Big Stack's return are very conservative. Overall, I think his expectation going in is greater than 40x. What this means, is that having a coin flip to exchange positions with him is a better percentage bet.

Final factor -- chances of 3-way all-in. The ev of a 3-way all in for Hero depends on actual chip count. Assuming it's not EXACTLY 25%-25% with Player2, the player in second has a plus ev from a three way all-in (with assumed equal chances of winning) and the player in third has a -ev. I have to run numbers, but this may in fact tilt the analysis of what Hero should do.

adanthar
01-18-2005, 12:27 PM
I go all in with any pair in a 10xBB blind or less 2 or 3 way situation roughly 100% of the time.

On the off chance I didn't, there's still no analysis necessary since you're probably getting 2.5 or 3 to 1 to call and it's not like he's got an overpair that often.

daveymck
01-18-2005, 12:28 PM
I am just looking at 1 table mtts again but I would say that if you are raising and are committed to calling any all in bet then go all in first and in this situation if I am entering a pot first it will be a push or nothing.

skipperbob
01-18-2005, 03:42 PM
PUSH

skipperbob
01-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Brief....Point ON....Moving toward Addict...Non-statistical

danng721
01-18-2005, 03:56 PM
The most important things that you didn't include in your analysis, and what should be the biggest factors in what you do is the size of the blinds - especially in relation to the size of your stack - and your position. This will determine whether calling, or raising by some certain amount is the correct play. Folding this is probably incorrect unless the other 2 stacks were all in.

david050173
01-18-2005, 10:10 PM
If you are not going to fold to a reraise, why would you not push? With low to medium pocket pairs, stealing the blinds is an ok outcome. If he just calls, unless a 6 flops you are going to have a tough choice to make on the flop. Unless your stack is deep, you have to be pushing or folding with small pocket pairs.

ilya
01-18-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Brief....Point ON....Moving toward Addict...Non-statistical

[/ QUOTE ]

?

rybones
01-19-2005, 12:02 AM
what level are you playing at? I mostly play the 10s and 20s so take my advice for what its worth. Anyway most here are attached to the 10xbb = a push rule. For the most part I agree with this rule. However, at the lower levels I often see folks call a push with any two broadway cards. Additionally, these same folks will also not raise you if you only raise to 3xbb. The advantage is they will usually miss their cards on the flop and will then fold to a bet of whatever you have left. This can save you from some suckouts , but it can also mean that you do not double up. Also, you need to decide that you are going to push or call on any flop no matter what. This also has the added bonus when you have 6,6 and the other guy has 7,7 and the flop come A,J,9. Your bet on the flop will mean you win a hand you were a dead to with a push. Again, this stop and go is not perfect and should not be used whenever you are in this situation, but if you have the right read it can work well.

Additionally, if you play at ps where the blinds increase every 10 min instead of 10 hands you do have time. Again, this is dependent on your opponents and where you are at time wise before blinds move up, but if I have around 10xbb I might just call and see a flop cheap. This is especially true if I feel I am better than the others at the table and someone else is short stacked as well. There are times (not many for those of you willing to yell) when you should be willing to give up a bb for a shot at doubling up and still avoid what you may well think is a -e.v. situation by calling an all in. This is not to say I would not call if I limped with 6,6 and the big stack pushed. I might call, but I might not. say you are on the button with 2,2 and 11xbb. the big stack sb pushes and the bb who has only 5bb calls. I definately fold. Anyway, now I am rambling.

Alas these are just my thoughts; any and all comments welcome.

Ryan

ethan
01-19-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am just looking at 1 table mtts.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, "MTT" stands for "Multi-Table Tournament.

Strategy-wise, adanthar's right. Push.