PDA

View Full Version : Tipping question

NotMitch
01-18-2005, 11:48 AM
I am being flown in for an interview and the company is sending a car to pick me up at the airport to take me directly to the office. Do I tip the driver for this?

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 11:52 AM
That's a good question.

I would tip though. Because I know the company isn't likely to be paying out a tip later on.

sfer
01-18-2005, 11:54 AM
In my experience it's typical for the corporate car service contract to include a tip.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In my experience it's typical for the corporate car service contract to include a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? That's surprising to me. I don't doubt the validity of your statement though. It's not as if I've ever had a company send me a car. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

In that case, don't tip. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

sfer
01-18-2005, 12:00 PM
This was several years ago at a small company with a relatively small car service in San Francisco where we were likely one of their biggest clients. So if that arrangement isn't standard I believe it.

DemonDeac
01-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Just ask the driver. Something along the lines of asking he he is getting tipped because you don't want to give him the shaft?

obviously dont use the last phrase, but u know what i mean.

Shajen
01-18-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am being flown in for an interview and the company is sending a car to pick me up at the airport to take me directly to the office. Do I tip the driver for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should tip. Never assume the driver is being taken care of. Also, you can write off the tip as a business expense. Bonus.

NotMitch
01-18-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This was several years ago at a small company with a relatively small car service in San Francisco where we were likely one of their biggest clients. So if that arrangement isn't standard I believe it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im leaning towards tipping since I cant find a really good reason not to. I just dont want to look like a cheapshake or the guy who doesnt understand that all these things are already taken care of so he tries to tip anyway. Im still stunned someone wants to fly me cross country to talk about a job.

Ulysses
01-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Limo/towncar service almost always includes a 20% tip in the bill. I'd probably give him a small tip anyway, just to be nice. $5 maybe.

sfer
01-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Why are you stunnned? Presumably they're going to pay for the cost of moving you if they want you. And it's pretty damn hard to find smart, talented people. It's well worth the extra effort to be smart in your hiring.

sfer
01-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Do you take Virgin? I loved those guys.

BullChip
01-18-2005, 03:56 PM
I think it's optional considering it's for a job interview and I'm assuming most companies take care of the driver beforehand, which includes their tip.

However, if you feel as though a token of gratitude will please all sides, then by all means a generous amount should do the trick.

Good Luck

NotMitch
01-18-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why are you stunnned? Presumably they're going to pay for the cost of moving you if they want you. And it's pretty damn hard to find smart, talented people. It's well worth the extra effort to be smart in your hiring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly since I started in my industry (accounting) 4 years ago knowing nothing (I was a histroy major and took no business classes) so I still think of myself as an outsider to some degree. And because of this it was somewhat suprising to me that people outside of my company are interested. But I'm finding that having worked on hedge funds has been a major asset.

Lazymeatball
01-18-2005, 04:01 PM
If the company takes care of the driver beforehand, is it even considered a tip. A tip is usually something given afterwards based on quality of service. Why don't they just jack up the price by 15%, pay the driver more, and get rid of this whole tipping business.

Leo99
01-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Because the tip is going to the driver not the company he works for. I wouldn't tip the driver cause he's already been taken care of.