PDA

View Full Version : strange line AA pp 15/30

smurph
01-18-2005, 11:03 AM
no reads, just wanted to confuse this guy
comments?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

River: (14.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB

IndieMatty
01-18-2005, 11:31 AM
The preflop/flop smooth call to the 3 - bet is ok heads up because it allows Villian to think your holdings are marginal. Nice hand. Not strange.

Chris Daddy Cool
01-18-2005, 11:38 AM
i played a hand just like this not to recently and as it turns out i rieverd him.

when you get 3-bet on the turn that *usually* means set, though could also be a way overplayed QQ or KK.

player reads would help of course.

IndieMatty
01-18-2005, 11:51 AM
If you were villian and you didn't get capped pre-flop. Wouldn't you play KK the same way?

Chris Daddy Cool
01-18-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you were villian and you didn't get capped pre-flop. Wouldn't you play KK the same way?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. lots of players know that some players won't cap big hands heads up and the fact that he DIDN'T cap makes a set with a smaller pair more likely than not, no?

also take a look at the action. hero just smoothcalled the flop 3-bet and raised the turn anyways. KK will slow down here unless he's a LAG.

IndieMatty
01-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Good point. I guess I don't see your average 15/30 Party Monkey 3 betting a a medium/small pocket pair from a non-blind steal, and then betting it out on the flop. Since he knew the player did not cap I don't think he would risk potentially causing AK and the like to fold. That's the way I am looking at it.

I see your point though.

I've been putting in all my hands up here, and it always seems the OTHER guy has been overplaying.

mmcd
01-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Standard.

steveyz
01-18-2005, 02:20 PM
I would call down after the turn 3-bet. Unless this guy is known for overplaying his hands, I'd say there's a good chance you lost to 99 or 77. Your flop smooth call of the 3-bet then turn raise smells like a big hand, at least something like A5.

amulet
01-18-2005, 04:01 PM
the 2nd time he 3 bets you, this time on the turn, i think you have more to gain by just calling him down.

smurph
01-18-2005, 04:29 PM
In retrospect, I probably overplayed this hand. I just felt I had the best hand. He had QQ, so he probably is a LAG.

IndieMatty
01-18-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm alone, but I don't think you overplayed it. 3 bet pre-flop from the blinds from a standard player is going to be qq+... only someone noticebale (lag/tricky) is going to 3 bet a5, 9's or 7s.

steveyz
01-18-2005, 04:56 PM
I think it's pretty common to 3-bet from the SB with a medium pocket pair when someone open raises in MP and it's folded around to you with no one else currently involved in the hand. In fact, I believe it is the correct play (from the point of view of the BB) to 3-bet with 99 or 77 unless they know that the raiser is a rock, in which case it might be better to fold.
In any case, I don't think a 3-bet from the SB makes it unlikely that they would have a medium pocket pair. In fact, if SB had KK or AA, they might be more willing to smooth call and let the BB in.

IndieMatty
01-18-2005, 05:08 PM
I definitely see the point, but over my small (35K) sample size, I see more of the calling raises in the sb/bb with everything up to QQ then 3 betting it. Even live, I always hear the (well you raised from the blinds, you must have ak or better). Unless I notice the player as tricky/imaginateive I don't give him enough credit to make this "correct play". Especially with the flop fast play, I can't put him on a set.

gamblore99
01-18-2005, 05:51 PM
I like the way you played it up until the river. I think him leading out after you've capped the turn should start to get you worried and just call down.

also take a look at the action. hero just smoothcalled the flop 3-bet and raised the turn anyways. KK will slow down here unless he's a LAG.

As IndieMatty said, I would think that on the party 15, someone overplaying something like KK or QQ is far more likely than someone to be 3betting out of the small blind with A5, 99, or 77.

no. lots of players know that some players won't cap big hands heads up and the fact that he DIDN'T cap makes a set with a smaller pair more likely than not, no?
This can go either way, depending on the intelligence of the player.

smurph
01-18-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the way you played it up until the river. I think him leading out after you've capped the turn should start to get you worried and just call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

The raise on the river just seemed correct because I thought he thought I had 68 or was (bluffing) trying to represent A5 for some reason.