PDA

View Full Version : Reggae

jdl22
01-18-2005, 04:37 AM
I'm looking for reccomendations for good Reggae artists.

Like many others my age (25) I have listened to a lot of Bob Marley. I also have several songs from Gregory Isaacs and some of Jimmy Cliff as well. These are all old school legends and I quite like their music.

Any reccomendations?

pshreck
01-18-2005, 04:55 AM
Milli Vanilli

[censored]
01-18-2005, 05:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for recomendations for good Reggae artists.

Like many others my age (25) I have listened to a lot of Bob Marley. I also have several songs from Gregory Isaacs and some of Jimmy Cliff as well. These are all old school legends and I quite like their music.

Any reccomendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry no recomendations by why I am not surprised.

Uston
01-18-2005, 05:18 AM
For starters...

Wailing Souls-"Wild Suspense"
Burning Spear-"Marcus Garvey" (get the one that also includes the dub version, "Garvey's Ghost"
Steel Pulse-"Handsworth Revolution"
Sugar Minott-"Rare Gems" or "Ghetto-ology+Dub"
Dennis Brown-"Money In My Pocket Anthology"
Bunny Wailer-"Blackheart Man"
Junior Byles-"Curly Locks"
Joe Higgs-"Life Of Contradiction" (most overlooked reggae CD ever, by far; not sure if it's widely available)
Also, you really can't go wrong with any of the Toots & The Maytals anthologies.

jdl22
01-18-2005, 05:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry no recomendations

[/ QUOTE ]

When I'm looking for redneck country music I'm sure you'll have some.

[censored]
01-18-2005, 05:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry no recomendations

[/ QUOTE ]

When I'm looking for redneck country music I'm sure you'll have some.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I walked into that one.

pshreck
01-18-2005, 05:38 AM
The line "I've got friends in low places" by itself beats all Reg gay music.

2planka
01-18-2005, 08:40 AM
If you like reggae, check out some ska (reggae's older brother).

The Slackers blend old school ska with sometimes amusing, sometimes caustic lyrics. Check out their "The Question" and "Red Light" albums first.

Hepcat is another traditional ska band. Not sure if they're still around, but if you can see a live show of theirs, do whatever it takes to get yourself there. "Scientific" and "Push-n-Shove" records are a good start.

The Skatalites are the self-proclaimed "inventors" of ska. "Skavoovie" and "Ball of Fire" should get you going.

Victor Rice's "At Version City" album is pretty heady. Vic is a session player/producer and he crafted this rocksteady/dub disc with a mind full of herb and beer.

The Articles are a jazzy ska band that is now defunct. Very cool though. "Flip F'Real" is a classic CD.

Pressure Cooker mixes rocksteady, reggae, jazz, and a bit of calypso. You won't beleive what the lead singer looks like if you see them in concert. Where does that baritone come from? Their eponymous record, "Pressure Cooker" is the one I like the best.

The Pilfers are a fantastic 3rd wave band from NYC. Former Bim Skala Bim trombonist, Vinny Nobile, blats for this band. "Chawalaleng" belongs in your collection.

Edit: almost forgot to mention The Insteps. Another must have.

bdk3clash
01-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Lee "Scratch" Perry.

MikeNaked
01-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Don't forget Tosh! He's right up there w/ El Bob.

Also:
Alpha Blondy
Black Uhuru
Burning Spear
Steel Pulse

are must-have old school bands.

kenberman
01-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Toots and The Maytals.

turnipmonster
01-18-2005, 11:17 AM
man you brought back some memories. my old band toured with the slackers, and played many shows with almost all the bands you mentioned.

guller
01-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Snow...remember that guy, what a joke.

Barrington Levi - more old school
Buju Banton - newer
Chaka Demus & Pliers - middle
Eddie Minnis - more callipso style but still good

Reggae changed a lot when rap started getting popular so it depends on what your looking for. Who whould believe Ganster Reggae could even exist, but it does (see mad cobra and the ghetto boys) too funny.

mmbt0ne
01-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Pilfers are the [censored]. I first heard them a while ago when my friends used to do Reel Big Fish's webpage. Also, any band on the Moon Ska label is worth listening too. Skavoovie and the Epitones and Toasters are a couple of my favorites.

2planka
01-18-2005, 12:37 PM
What band were you in? I probably saw you guys.

2planka
01-18-2005, 12:40 PM
Skavoovie and the Epitones were a phenomenal band. Eugene on the keys really rocked. Plus, how many bands make use of a euphonium!

The Boston ska scene was pretty good indeed a few years back.

bdk3clash
01-18-2005, 01:21 PM
turnipmonster was in Regatta 69.

Sincerely, turnipmonster's official biographer

Mano
01-18-2005, 01:41 PM
I really like Peter Tosh and Yellowman.

2planka
01-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Ah yes.... Regatta 69. I have their Prime Time record. Cool!

turnipmonster
01-18-2005, 01:49 PM
prime time was a terrible record unfortunately. like most of the bands you mentioned, we were much better live. I still enjoy the slackers, and I was sick of ska a long time ago /images/graemlins/smile.gif. they're great.

--turnipmonster

Uston
01-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Take it from someone who has a Lee Perry avatar. Most of his CD's are mediocre. He was at his best when producing other artists (most notably "Heart Of The Congos" by The Congos and "Party Time" by The Heptones).

bdk3clash
01-18-2005, 02:58 PM
I agree. My favorite is a disc of songs he produced (and a few he also performed on) titled "Reggae Greats."

ricochet420
01-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Not that I agree, but he was actually very well respected in the jamaican/reggae section of Toronto,ON,CA. [ QUOTE ]
Snow...remember that guy, what a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

lucas9000
01-18-2005, 04:42 PM
lamest genre of music EVAR. stop being a hippy and get some slayer or something /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Graham
01-18-2005, 06:28 PM
I'll second the nominations for:

Steel Pulse
Peter Tosh
Toots and the Maytals
Burning Spear

Steel Pulse = awesome stuff.

EDIT: PLus Barrington Levy did some good stuff.

bholdr
01-18-2005, 06:41 PM
If you're into reggee, i'd reccomend that you also check out some Ska, Dub, and Ragga. Kilgore Trout's ska reccomendations are grett- and if you're not burnt out on bob yet, i'd really encourage you to try and find some of hil older stuff- with peter tosh and bunny wailer, it's an excellent example of the ska to reggee transition.

as for dub, start with King Tubby, the INVENTOR of the remix and live DJ performance (or at least the first popular early practioner). then lee scratch perry, then scientist, by then you'll know what you like and can move on.

Buju Banton and Bounty Killer have some good semi-Ragga stuff worth checking out. Nowadays, i really prefer Ragga to hip hop (it's jamaican sounding MCs rapping on top of breakbeats- notably drum and bass.
as far as that goes, Rocker T is alpha and omega (for a whiteboy, anyway)