View Full Version : A little spider bite on the leg. - Illinois

wacki
01-18-2005, 04:01 AM
Brown Recluse.

http://www.rochedalss.eq.edu.au/reclusebiteleg.htm

http://www.rochedalss.eq.edu.au/bites/9%20days%20after%20the%20bite.JPG

PoBoy321
01-18-2005, 04:07 AM
I was planning on going to sleep, and I was just checking 2+2 before I went to sleep.

I clicked on this thread and I saw that picture.

I don't think I can sleep now.

wacki
01-18-2005, 04:11 AM
*singing* Good night, sleep tight, and don't let the bed bugs bite.

slickpoppa
01-18-2005, 04:13 AM
That is some [censored] up SH*T! I can't believe that I have never heard of those things before. I think seeing one of those spiders on my leg would scare me more than being face to face with a grizzly bear.

nothumb
01-18-2005, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the warning on that one. Pretty gnarly.

I had a spider bite in roughly the same spot on my leg. Got an abcess the size of a ping-pong ball. Watching a nurse squeeze that one out was one of the worst medical experiences I've ever had, and I've broken a ton of things, been stabbed, kicked in the nuts, etc. Gruesome.

I still have a pock-mark on my leg that looks like a bullet wound.

NT

wacki
01-18-2005, 04:17 AM
What kind of spider was it?

nothumb
01-18-2005, 04:23 AM
Dunno, may have actually been a recluse.

Those bites can really vary in severity... my grandpa got bit by one and didn't even go to the doctor. This person must have scratched the hell out of it, then waited a week.

NT

Tron
01-18-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's Dale's letter to the editor describing how his bite happened:

It was a quite morning at 5:00 am on May 6th, 2002 and I was lying in the bed with my fiancée.* I felt a slight tickle on my upper thigh of my left leg under the covers and proceeded to brush it away. As my hand struck the blanket I felt a slight stinging sensation on my leg. Little did I know that moment was going to change my life forever, I lifted the covers to see the outline of a small, brown quarter size spider on my bed.* My fiancée woke up startled and asked me “What is it?”** I said, “It looks like a spider. Hold on”.* I ran to the bathroom, grabbed some tissue and quickly grabbed the spider and threw it in the toilet.* My fiancée came into the bathroom to look at the spider and all we said at that moment was “Wow, that is a big spider”. I flushed thee toilet with a feeling of personal victory.* Almost within the hour the bite area swelled to a quarter size area.* That afternoon I went to the doctor and he asked me if it was a brown recluse.* I have never seen a brown recluse before but both my fiancée and me agreed that it quite possibly was after hearing the description of one but I had always thought those spiders were in southern Illinois. The doctor gave me some antibiotics and circled the area with a marker and sent me on my way.* Later that evening a white infected area formed in the bite site.* I am told this is called the “bulls eye” and is a definite tell tale sign of a brown recluse bite. The area around the bite site turned blue, dark red and had gone outside of the circled area.* My fiancée took me to OSF Emergency room where they rushed me to surgery. I spent eight days with an open cut at the bite area to drain the spiders toxins from it and almost 24 hours a day on IV antibiotics and pain medication.* It the end I had a 5 inch in diameter area of dead tissue, a result from the toxins, cut out of my upper leg. My next step in 8 days is skin grafting, which I am told is skin taken from another part of my body and place on the cut away area. But that area will never look the same. I am a resident of Pekin in a suburb type area. Never would I have thought this type of spider was right here in Pekin or central Illinois.* Please let your readers know about brown recluse and its consequences.* It seems most people know little about this spider. If I had waited a day longer I might have lost my leg to this spider.

[/ QUOTE ]

wacki
01-18-2005, 04:27 AM
No, his story is in the link. He took photos every day. Glad you didn't end up like him. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Going 2 bed now.....

brassnuts
01-18-2005, 04:32 AM
I don't like spiders. And, this image could cause some people to faint. I think it needs a warning.

wacki
01-18-2005, 04:44 AM
Sorry, will put warning on it next time. I thought the title would be self explanatory. Too late to change now.

daryn
01-18-2005, 08:00 AM
yeah, the title of "A little spider bite on the leg" really screams "grotesque pic"

TimM
01-18-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Leaving lepidoptera...Please, don't touch the display,
little boy, aha cute! Moving to the next aisle we have
arachnida, the spiders, our...finest collection.
This friendly little devil is the heptothilidi,
unfortunately harmless. Next to him, the nasty licosa
raptoria, his tiny fangs cause creeping ulcerations of
the skin (laugh). And here, my prize, the Black
Widow. Isn't she lovely?...And so deadly. Her kiss is
fifteen times as poisonous as that of the rattlesnake.
You see her venom is highly neurotoxic, which is to say
that it attacks the central nervous system causing
intense pain, profuse sweating, difficulty in
breathing, loss of consciousness, violent convulsions
and, finally...Death. You know what I think I love the
most about her is her inborn need to dominate,
possess. In fact, immediately after the consummation
of her marriage to the smaller and weaker male of the
species she kills and eats him...(laugh) oh, she is
delicious...And I hope he was! Such power and dignity
...unhampered by sentiment. If I may put forward a
slice of personal philosophy, I feel that man has ruled
this world as a stumbling demented child-king long
enough! And as his empire crumbles, my precious Black
Widow shall rise as his most fitting successor!

[/ QUOTE ]

Eclypse
01-18-2005, 10:39 AM
I was rolling out the trash-cans last summer when a little spider fell from the handle and landed on the driveway. I bent down to get a good look and noticed it was a black widow. This wasn't surprising since out here they are everywhere.

This paticular spider however was bent on attacking me. It started chasing me around the driveway! Usually, they just run for cover.

Anyway, I ran into the house and got my camera. Here's the cute little bastard:

http://www.eclypsebooks.com/images/black-widow.jpg http://www.eclypsebooks.com/images/black-widow1.jpg

Check out those fangs!

ThaSaltCracka
01-18-2005, 11:49 AM
tell me you stepped on it.

jakethebake
01-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Those things are nasty. Our house was infested for awhile when I lived in St. Louis. Apparently they really are "recluses" and are very shy. Just don't piss one off. The exterminator told me that a lot of houses in the area were infested, but people don't even realize it because they don't see them much.

Eclypse
01-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Actually, I didn't.

I kept taking pictures of it until it escaped down a crack where I couldn't get to it.

We have so many of these running around that another dead one wouldn't make much difference anyhow.

ThaSaltCracka
01-18-2005, 03:22 PM
spiders give me the willies.

ricochet420
01-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Are you in Arizona?
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I didn't.

I kept taking pictures of it until it escaped down a crack where I couldn't get to it.

We have so many of these running around that another dead one wouldn't make much difference anyhow.

[/ QUOTE ]

wacki
01-18-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, the title of "A little spider bite on the leg" really screams "grotesque pic"

[/ QUOTE ]

I was being facetious. Somehow I knew your were going to respond to that sentence.

I will put warnings on grotesque stuff from now on. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

wacki
01-18-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Those things are nasty. Our house was infested for awhile when I lived in St. Louis. Apparently they really are "recluses" and are very shy. Just don't piss one off. The exterminator told me that a lot of houses in the area were infested, but people don't even realize it because they don't see them much.

[/ QUOTE ]

How effective are exterminators at getting rid of those? I think I would bomb my house every time I saw one.

jakethebake
01-18-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How effective are exterminators at getting rid of those? I think I would bomb my house every time I saw one.

[/ QUOTE ]
We had the exterminator out a couple of times and it got rid of them for like 9 months. When we saw one again, I just bought some stuff at Home Depot and sprayed it around the baseboards, in closets, around the outside doorways, etc. It seemed to work well. I didn't bomb only because we have kids that are of the age where they put things in their mouths and it's hard to cover up everything. But they might work.

daryn
01-18-2005, 05:22 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

I was being facetious. Somehow I knew your were going to respond to that sentence.

I will put warnings on grotesque stuff from now on. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hey i don't mind. you'll never hear me complain about pics in a thread.