PDA

View Full Version : Cable vs DSL

DBowling
01-18-2005, 03:45 AM
Is there a difference? Do any of you prefer one or the other? I currently have a cable modem and have been very satisfied with it, but i will be moving soon and was just exploring my options. It seems that DSL is cheaper than Cable in my area, though i havent looked into it too much to see if these are just promotional prices.

Alobar
01-18-2005, 03:55 AM
DSL is alot slower than cable.

astroglide
01-18-2005, 04:32 AM
alobar doesn't know what he is talking about and there are threads in the archives on this one

DBowling
01-18-2005, 05:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
alobar doesn't know what he is talking about and there are threads in the archives on this one

[/ QUOTE ]

about alobar not knowing what hes talking about? or cable vs dsl?

Popinjay
01-18-2005, 05:29 AM
Depends on where you are located. If you are close to where the DSL comes from, then you can get really fast speeds. Otherwise it's most of the time cable.

wacki
01-18-2005, 06:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, search the archives. There was a huge thread on this a few months back.

jakethebake
01-18-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. And sound is "alot" slower than light. But under normal curcumstances they're both so fast you can't really tell the difference.

I used to have DSL and it was great. I know people that have had problems with it though. Especially in older houses with old phone wiring or in older naighborhoods where the wiring is old.

When I moved I went with cable. My decision was based on cost when I compared:

IP phone service
Cable
Cable Internet

-to-

Local Phone Company Service
Long Distance
DirecTV
DSL

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't always true. In theory cable is always faster, but often times it isn't true in practice.

I used to have DSL. But I moved and the only option was cable.

What I like about DSL is that it's a dedicated line. Nobody else can suck up your bandwith.
You don't get that with cable.

ThaSaltCracka
01-18-2005, 12:00 PM
I would get cable. My cable connection is much faster than my old DSL connection, but that may be based on several reasons for which i do not know. One thing about DSL I don't like, is a lot of the providers lock you into a year long contract and if you cancel early, you pay a fat fee.

ThaSaltCracka
01-18-2005, 12:02 PM
with my cable I have speeds of around 500kbs during peak times, but later in the night or during midday, its close to (and sometimes over) 5mbps.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 12:04 PM
As I already stated in my other post on this thread, I personally prefer DSL.

For the average user, however, I will always recommend cable. It's generally more stable and better for web browsing.

For anybody that's a serious gamer, I recommend DSL.

Still, either option is a good one. You won't be disappointed with either type of broadband.

LALDAAS
01-18-2005, 12:10 PM
I have had both, I prefer cable. I use comcast. The service is awsome. My number 1 reason for going with cable was I did not want to have a landline phone. With my current wireless account for my cellphone It was cheaper.

holeplug
01-18-2005, 12:13 PM
It really all depends on your ISP.