PDA

View Full Version : Sit and Go strategy

homersolo
01-18-2005, 02:48 AM
So, I hear a lot about 2+2 and haven't really checked them out. I've read the Theory of Poker and have the advanced book. Anyway, my latest strategy which has work okay so far is to play a tight agressive heads out kind of game. Basically once the blinds get to 60 on paradise poker if I get a pocket pair or A 10 or better I shove. I've tightened this up and generally require that the pocket pair all in be only if half the table has folded to me. By doing this I buy a lot of blinds and when I get called my odds are generally pretty good. This ploy isolates so I am heads up. Thus far I haven't ran into AA or KK too often (although I have, and typically when I am sporting an AK). Anyway, my theory is this:
By raising all in I get into a heads up situation. If I have a pair, I will generally be a favorite against most hands (minus the higher pairs of course). If I have AK, AQ, AJ, or A10 I will have a good drawing hand against small pocket pairs (a coin flip on the short side of it) and will match up well against weaker Ax calls. By doing this often you will buy several blinds early and eventually people will think you are bluffing and will call with less. Furthermore, it takes players by surprise in that they are unsure whether to call or not. Tight player will often drop their statistically advanced pocket pairs, and it will tighten up the table as a whole as people will be less and less likely to smooth call to try to get lucky. Essentially, this tactic takes away people playing suited connectors, Ax, KQ, etc. And when they do, you have the best of it. As for odds, the odds are when you have AJ, you have the best of it going in, isn't it? The biggest risk with playing pairs is playing against multiple players, and this strategy takes that out.

Anyway, I'm looking for an analysis of this theory. I just think the blind stealing + chances of winning if called + table image equals a good strategy.

Skip Brutale
01-18-2005, 05:34 AM
You should check out www.party-poker-guide.com (http://www.party-poker-guide.com) for a good sitngo strategy guide. I don't know the paradise structure but I'm guessing when the big blind is 60 chips you generally should have deep enough stacks that it's bad strategy to start pushing. Maybe if you are playing against morons they will call you with trash or Ax, but overbetting pre-flop to win small blinds will never work against good players.