PDA

View Full Version : Is This Normal??

Kaufmania
01-18-2005, 01:31 AM
I was playing 2 SnGs on PokerStars. Both were $10s. In the course of 45 minutes, I had AA twice, KK twice, QQ, JJ. I lost every single one of these hands. Everyhand I was a 70% or more favorite, except JJ where I was against AK. Is it normal to lose 6 straight times with high pocket pairs? I played them perfectly, raising, and reraising, and setting my opponents up just right. It seems to me that I get unlucky more than anyone else. My friend tells me that I only tend to remember the hands I win, but I honestly believe that I am the unluckiest person in online poker. Advice? Help?

ChrisV
01-18-2005, 02:01 AM
I once lost 9 consecutive AA's.

If I was you I'd take some advice from Arnie (http://drewmike.file-place.com/arnoldwhining.wav) /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Myst
01-18-2005, 02:15 AM
Amen to that.
In a period of 10 SNGs, I had KK all in vs AA 4 times.
[censored] happens.

citanul
01-18-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing 2 SnGs on PokerStars. Both were $10s. In the course of 45 minutes, I had AA twice, KK twice, QQ, JJ. I lost every single one of these hands. Everyhand I was a 70% or more favorite, except JJ where I was against AK. Is it normal to lose 6 straight times with high pocket pairs? I played them perfectly, raising, and reraising, and setting my opponents up just right. It seems to me that I get unlucky more than anyone else. My friend tells me that I only tend to remember the hands I win, but I honestly believe that I am the unluckiest person in online poker. Advice? Help?

[/ QUOTE ]

My advice:

Either don't play poker online at all until you overcome these feelings of being so unlucky, or bankroll your friend, he appears to have a better grasp on the situation than you do.

Get a statistical package, or just keep a meticulous listing of hands of a category, and see how they wind up.

Post some of these hands that you say you played "perfectly." Not saying you didn't, but couldn't help to check.

Do some math. say each of these hands was a 80% favorite, when all the money went in: to lose them "all" that's just 1/(5^6). Even that is going to happen every once in a while. Especialy if you consider things like, oh, you're probably picking and choosing what you remember/count in your "observation." When you win with TT, you throw it out, but when you lose with JJ, you don't. Etc.

In all seriousness though, if you "honestly believe that (you are) the unluckiest person in online poker," just don't play online poker. Simple as that.

Step 1 is learning to deal.
Step 2 is posting the hand histories.
Step 3 is learning.
Step 4 is winning.

Some steps may run at the same time.

citanul

DangerGoodson
01-18-2005, 02:29 AM
It happens. you can only control your play, not others. Make sure you are playing as best as you possibly can.

se2schul
01-18-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In the course of 45 minutes, I had AA twice, KK twice, QQ, JJ. I lost every single one of these hands. Everyhand I was a 70% or more favorite, except JJ where I was against AK. Is it normal to lose 6 straight times with high pocket pairs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it normal? No, actually it's rare, but it does happen. If you flip a coin 20 times, is it possible that it lands heads every time? Of course it is, it is just unlikely. Losing with AA or KK also happens, but it happens less than winning with them.

[ QUOTE ]
Advice? Help?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you have to look at how you lost with these hands. Did you let a lot of limpers in? Were the flops not great for large pocket pairs (ie 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif) but you played the flop hard anyway?
If you played them perfectly, then you simply have to chalk it up to the statistical gods making sure that when a hand is favored 70:30 that it does in fact lose 30% of the time instead of winning 100% as many people seem to expect it to.

Steve

Mammux
01-18-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you flip a coin 20 times, is it possible that it lands heads every time?

[/ QUOTE ]
Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead (http://imdb.com/title/tt0100519/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj 0wfHE9Z3VpbGRlbnN0ZXJufGh0bWw9MXxubT1vbg__;fc=1;ft =5;fm=1)

-Magnus