PDA

View Full Version : $2.50 + 25 SnG hand. Intruiging, no?

Stork
01-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Hey all, I'm a little ways into a 10 person SnG on Pacific, when this hand pops up. This isn't my standard line here, but I was feelin a bit frisky and inspired by Clarks 22 hand w Mason in the Mid-High forums.

$2.50+.25 limit holdem SnG,down to 8 players.
I pick up black ducks in the SB with 640 in chips after posting a $15 small blind. The big blinds stack has dwindled down to $50. UTG calls, 2nd guy raises. They both have me covered, although stack sizes are a nonissue for all of us except the BB. It's folded around to me, and there may have been a time when I would fold the two lowest cards in the deck facing 1.5 cold, but not anymore. I have Ub3rSk!llz! So I call. I don't want these hotshots thinking they can run me over in my house. Or on the internet, for that matter. BB raises all in and us limpers call. Flop falls Q 7 3, the first two being spades. Checked around to the preflop raiser who bets, and I casually raise. This folds the first limper, but the preflop raiser sticks around to see the turn, which is the 3 of spades. I like this card so I decide to bet out, and my lone opponent calls. The river is the ace of spades, giving me the powerful 13th nut flush, and I bet out, because, well, aggression is teh pwnz0rz.

adanthar
01-18-2005, 12:04 AM
At a $2.50 SNG, this is probably about the 13'th best way to play this hand.

...yeah, I'm sure I can find 12 checks and/or folds in there somewhere.

Stork
01-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I had the FPS bug in me I guess. Oh well, it was still a fun hand to play /images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Stork
01-18-2005, 12:17 AM
As rediculous as this play is, I'd at least like to post my thoughts at the time. UTG+1 raised after a limper was already in, but declined capping when he had the option to after BB raised all in. At this point I put him on a big ace or a small pocket pair. His flop bet doesn't change anything, but when he calls my check-raise I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a Q, and I think I have some folding equity against pocket fours, fives, or sixes. I think the turn bet is ok for a number of reasons. If he has a big ace, I can't let him see the river for free. If he has a small pocket pair, I still have folding equity I think, and I just picked up a 4-flush, albeit the weakest one possible. The pot is pretty big at this point so it's definetely worth a bet if I have the fold equity I think I do. I didn't have a real read on this guy, but if he was a calling station or complete fish I would've had a note on him by now. I didn't particularly like the fact that he called my turn bet, but I managed a flush on the river which may have saved me. I bet because if he had a big ace he would probably call for one more bet despite the four flush, or maybe call with pocket eights through jacks as well. I'd like to say I will fold to a river raise, although I'm not sure I would.

adanthar
01-18-2005, 01:19 AM
No, seriously...how much folding equity do you think you have against a typical 2.50 SNG opponent, and how much do you think you have after he calls a checkraise?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to say I will fold to a river raise, although I'm not sure I would.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Stork
01-18-2005, 12:07 PM
In my experience, it's fairly common for people to fold the turn after calling a check-raise on the flop. Since the flop was checked to him and he was the initial preflop raiser, he would bet just about all the time here, and I'm ahead of most big aces. I imagine that most opponents at this level would put me on a queen here, and since he didn't 3-bet, I was fairly confident in my read that he has a big ace or a small pocket pair. Nobody folds a pot this big on the same round they bet at it when it's only one back to them, but if they don't improve on the turn and their holding is weak they will sometimes fold for one bet, and sometimes is plenty in a pot this big.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'd like to say I will fold to a river raise, although I'm not sure I would.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?