PDA

View Full Version : Is $2 an insulting tip for a food delivery guy?

Rhone
01-17-2005, 11:57 PM
So, Chinese food delivered tonight. Same guy who's come 2 or 3 times in the past. Last time I noticed he kind of walked off in a huff after I tipped him, and today I open the door, and the first thing he says as he's handing me the bag of food is that I shouldn't bother with a tip if it's only going to be $2.

I always figured $2 was pretty standard. What do you think? Have I been tipping too little?

istewart
01-17-2005, 11:59 PM
I usually overtip, maybe $3, but that's because I'm friendly to those guys. If he said that to you, just tell him to go [censored] himself.

DangerGoodson
01-18-2005, 12:00 AM
he should do his job and be happy with the money he gets. I know a couple people that never tip.

CCx
01-18-2005, 12:00 AM
I think next time you should take his advice and not bother with a tip if he's going to be a dick about it. $2 for delivery is plenty - if it's between 15 and 20 though, I always just give the 20 and be done with it.

DemonDeac
01-18-2005, 12:02 AM
whats wrong with $2. whats the bill? i cant imagine anything really high. anything under $25 and its $2.

just tell him thanks for letting you save the money for someone who'll appreciate it..........an asian stripper.............o right /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rob Blackburn
01-18-2005, 12:02 AM
Man thats a weak delivery guy, who is a disgrace to delivery guys.

I would have a hard time not putting my foot in his ass when he said that, the nerve of this guy.

pshreck
01-18-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, Chinese food delivered tonight. Same guy who's come 2 or 3 times in the past. Last time I noticed he kind of walked off in a huff after I tipped him, and today I open the door, and the first thing he says as he's handing me the bag of food is that I shouldn't bother with a tip if it's only going to be $2.

I always figured $2 was pretty standard. What do you think? Have I been tipping too little?

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering he said that, I would make some ridiculous order of like 50 bucks in white rice then not tip him, and I would do it often.

2 bucks is absolutely standard, with nothing or 1 dollar being the cheap food delivery tip.

Alobar
01-18-2005, 12:04 AM
two is a crap tip, however if he would have said that [censored] to me, I would stiff him AND contact the manager of the store and tell him what his driver said

MarkL444
01-18-2005, 12:04 AM
$2 is my standard tip. this delivery guy is a tool. if he doesnt want your 2 bucks dont give him anything.

slickpoppa
01-18-2005, 12:05 AM
for a 10-15ish order 2 is a crap tip?

ilya
01-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Whether or not $2 is fine depends on the size of your order. Up to $10 or so, a $2 tip is fine. Above that, I'd give 18-20% rounded up.

I find the attitude that "he should just be glad to get anything at all" really distasteful. It's common knowledge that delivery guys rely on tips for a good part of their total earnings, and unless they're unusually slow, they have every right to expect a tip.

I think complaining to his manager is lame, to put it mildly.

Alobar
01-18-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
for a 10-15ish order 2 is a crap tip?

[/ QUOTE ]

No...was that how much his order was for? I guess I missed that part

I delivered pizza for well over a year so thats what I'm basing it on. Most orders were over $20, and $2 was like the very very bottom of acceptable. For any delivery even if its only $10, anything under $2 is just you being a cheap ass.

I'm obviously biased because I've worked for tips before (I've also been a waiter). I always leave at least $5 whenever I tip, regardless if it was a $15 pizza, or a $15 lunch bill

realwtf
01-18-2005, 12:21 AM
$2 is a good tip. Nothing special just standard.

Don't tip him and call the place and tell them your not going to order from there anymore.

Reason: Some people are dicks and will spit in or spice up your food in other ways.

MrFeelNothin
01-18-2005, 12:21 AM
I delivered for Dominos Pizza last summer, greatest job I've ever had actually. Anyways, I would be perfectly OK with $2 on a $20 or less order. Many people are generous and give more, but hell I've been given exact change before on a 10 pie order I delivered all the way to some fuckers hotel room. $2 is a little light but certainly nothing to bitch about.

brassnuts
01-18-2005, 12:28 AM
$2 is fine. And, if some delivery guy ever said that to me, I'd laugh in his face and oblige.

Nottom
01-18-2005, 02:09 AM
I delivered Pizzas for dominos my first couple summers in college. The store I worked at wasn't exactly in a great neighborhood (althgouh not really dangerous or anything) and I was happy to get a $2 tip and was regularly stiffed (or given only the change ... as in coins). I still made over $10/hour most of the time which isn't bad for a job that requires no skill.

Even as an ex-pizza guy, tipping a delivery guy 20% seems absurd to me. They get payed more than waitresses and do less than half the work, they don't deserve the same level of tip. I usually give 10% + whatever change there so its usually $2-3 on a typical order.

VBM
01-18-2005, 02:14 AM
i used to deliver chinese food and had ppl pay me with pennies down to the penny. this was probably like 8+ years ago, but back then:

$2+ good
$3+ great
$4+ and i'm fighting for delivering your food in the future and other people on the route will just have to wait.

you did fine and you should call the place and complain. very unprofessional of him/her.

--oj.

edit: other ppl have mentioned it, but it is a little light actually if you're ordering like $30+ worth of food...

nothumb
01-18-2005, 02:51 AM
If you've seen the guy several times before and he's being a dick, either A. You are not very nice, or order bizarre things and tip $2 on a $30 bill, or some similar info you omitted or B. The guy is a spoiled douche. Where do you live?

As a cook and a waiter I have chased people down in the street for a sub-10% tip in cases where nothing went wrong with their order, etc. But once you catch them you just ask, politely, "Excuse me, sir, was anything wrong with your food tonight, or my service?" Usually they will say no, it was fine, or even that it was great (I worked in a very popular restaurant) and I will say, "Oh, I was concerned because you left me a (whatever percent tip) and I thought something went wrong." Nine times out of ten they apologize and shove whatever money they have in their pockets at you as fast as they can and huff it down the street to avoid looking like a total ass.

So, you might have tipped light, but the guy handled it poorly either way, and delivery guys in my experience get tipped less than waitstaff. If a delivery guy said something like that to me (I am always careful to be polite and appreciative to food workers as I was one) I would consider calling his boss, but would only do that if I really hated his guts and was having a bad day. More likely I would fu<font color="orange"></font>ck with him in some sadistic way.

NT

stabn
01-18-2005, 02:56 AM
20% for delivery is insane.

MrFeelNothin
01-18-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I still made over $10/hour most of the time which isn't bad for a job that requires no skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

No skill!!! The whole job is a race against the other drivers for tips. The good drivers definitely make way more.

But you are right on, the job is really easy and the drivers are probably overpaid. What with a $5.50 hourly wage, $.80 an order gas credit and an average of $10-12/hour in tips all for cruising around listening to music with very little customer interaction. Cakewalk.

MEbenhoe
01-18-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
edit: other ppl have mentioned it, but it is a little light actually if you're ordering like $30+ worth of food...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Is it that much harder to carry an extra pizza, carton, bag, or whatever the hell it is? The idea that delivery guys should be tipped based on the amount of the order is complete crap. A larger order doesn't make their job any harder or make it so they can't make as many deliveries in an hour, so this concept makes no sense. Also, had this guy made this comment to me, not only would I have not tipped him, but I would have made sure to make him wait while I dug up some change to pay him in, so as to cause him the hassle of having to deal with all this change and delaying him in the rest of his deliveries for the night. As well, if he ever delivered food to me in the future he could fully expect a repeat performance. The arrogance of these people to think that their tip is due to them is ridiculous.

Overdrive
01-18-2005, 05:42 AM
I would give 15-20% based on how his service was, and that's that.

Hey, the guy shouldn't be complaining - he could be working at Wal-Mart and being locked in by his managers, cheated of overtime and doing everything else America's #1 corporate criminal is famous for.

MrFeelNothin
01-18-2005, 06:25 AM
I disagree. You are correct that there is little extra effort by the delivery person required to deliver a larger order. However I believe it is a societal norm that bigger orders deserve bigger tips. Look at it this way, if bigger orders dont deserve bigger tips then people should be compelled to tip $2-3 on the small $10 orders. But they dont, because that is ridiculous. As long as people tip small on small orders, they should tip large on large orders. Also, delivery-people DO help out in the store and larger orders do require more effort. Most of the work is done by insiders, but not all of it.

Bluffoon
01-18-2005, 07:41 AM
First and most important rule.

The people that serve me food need to like me very much.

People do horrible stuff to food for people who they do not like. For this reason I make it a rule to be friendly and
generous to people who serve me food on a regular basis.

So that said for an order between 10 and 15 I usually give two and the change but if its close I am rounding it to 15 or 20 for simplicity purposes and if it is raining or cold I throw in a little extra and thank them for coming out in the bad weather.

Rhone
01-18-2005, 09:42 AM
I must say I was a little surprised by all the responses suggesting a percentage-based tip for deliveries. Of course I calculate tips in restaurants that way, and I feel I tip fairly decently there, usually 20% unless the service was bad. But I'd never really thought to calculate a delivery tip based on the total bill, following the line of thought that it's no more difficult to carry a bag filled with $15 dollars of food than $40 dollars of food. (If it was a huge order for a party or something it would be a completely different matter).

There really weren't any extenuating circumstances involved here either: restaurant is a five minute drive away, no precipitation, good area....I don't know, I need to think about it. I don't want to be a dick, but I don't want to be ripped off either...

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2 bucks is absolutely standard, with nothing or 1 dollar being the cheap food delivery tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true.

My name is AngryCola, and I approve of his message.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Im a big tipper. Im good at blowing money.

sfer
01-18-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...and today I open the door, and the first thing he says as he's handing me the bag of food is that I shouldn't bother with a tip if it's only going to be $2.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're supposed to say, "Okay" before you close the door.

shummie
01-18-2005, 10:49 AM
One thing about a bigger order is that it takes longer to cook usually. So your driver is going to be waiting around for your huge order to get finished while some other guy walked off with a small order to deliver.

Making a big order lowers your delivery guys deliveries-per-hour and so you should tip bigger to make up for that.

This is just speculation based on how I see the guys work at my local pizza place. I've never delivered.

- Jason

Toro
01-18-2005, 10:54 AM
I would be very concerned if my delivery guy made this statement. You hear all kinds of horror stories about wait staff doing gross things to food to customers that they have a problem with.

I would buy pizza elsewhere after an incident such as yours.

Rhone
01-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Oh yea, that goes without saying. I'm never ordering from this place again.

Eclypse
01-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Usually I give between 2-4 dollars. A quick, polite delivery guy gets the $4, the average guy gets the $2.

Your guy gets the door slammed in his face.

MEbenhoe
01-18-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. You are correct that there is little extra effort by the delivery person required to deliver a larger order. However I believe it is a societal norm that bigger orders deserve bigger tips. Look at it this way, if bigger orders dont deserve bigger tips then people should be compelled to tip $2-3 on the small $10 orders. But they dont, because that is ridiculous. As long as people tip small on small orders, they should tip large on large orders. Also, delivery-people DO help out in the store and larger orders do require more effort. Most of the work is done by insiders, but not all of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well actually you've got it backwards. It's more like people should tip small on small orders and on large orders as well. Personally I usually throw the delivery guy a buck or so whatever the size of the order is, and instead of him considering me a cheapskate, he should show me some gratitude that I, the customer, deemed his service to be such that I put in some of my own income to raise his wage.

Also, I don't exactly see what a delivery guy does that makes society think him worthy of a tip as opposed to other jobs that aren't normally tipped. I mean in my entire life I've never noticed a difference in the performance of one delivery guy to the next. They all drive my food to my place, hand it to me, and tell me how much I owe. 5 seconds later they're out the door with an extra dollar and change in their pocket for their efforts. Seems like they've got a good thing going.

Wayfare
01-18-2005, 11:00 AM
You should call the restaurant and say exactly what he said, and then never order from them again.

Delivery guys are supposed to be happy with what tip they get. I always give a good amount, but if you don't that's your call entirely.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean in my entire life I've never noticed a difference in the performance of one delivery guy to the next. They all drive my food to my place, hand it to me, and tell me how much I owe.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect. I have worked as a pizza delivery guy, and believe me their is often a huge difference between different driver's quality of service.
Some of them deserve bigger tips than others.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I usually throw the delivery guy a buck or so whatever the size of the order is, and instead of him considering me a cheapskate, he should show me some gratitude that I, the customer, deemed his service to be such that I put in some of my own income to raise his wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a statement that makes me a little angry, but it does make sense.
It makes me angry, because people generally have no idea how much money a driver makes comes solely from tips. The amount of wear on your vehicle is not covered by the delivery charges. Sure, it's supposed to be covered, but it's generally not enough.

Just understand that it's not really an "addition" to their wage. It is their wage.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Delivery guys are supposed to be happy with what tip they get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, this isn't true.
But the point is they should give the customer nothing but the impression that they are grateful for any amount of tip. You should never openly complain to the customer if you get a lousy tip. That's just stupid.

[ QUOTE ]
You should call the restaurant and say exactly what he said

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I would do.

Wake up CALL
01-18-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would buy pizza elsewhere after an incident such as yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, ordering delivery pizza from a Chinese restaurant is a recipe for disaster in the first place. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TimM
01-18-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your guy gets the door slammed in his face.

[/ QUOTE ]

After he gets the food handed back to him unpaid of course.

As long as we are on this, how much do you tip for a haircut?

(I think Tosh's head will explode if he finds this thread)

jakethebake
01-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Thats about what I usually tip. Unless the place already charges a delivery fee.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless the place already charges a delivery fee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would this make a difference with the tip? Half the fee goes to cover the gas and maintenance expenses for the driver's car. The other half is retained by the company for some BS reason that I could never understand.

It's not as if the companies provide some sort of seperate funds for that.
The charge is how the driver gets to your house.
The tip is what you give him for his service.

The delivery fee isn't some sort of extra tip or pocket change the driver spends on beer.

Tosh
01-18-2005, 12:22 PM
$2 is about the most I've ever tipped.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$2 is about the most I've ever tipped.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just about right for most deliveries.

But that's pretty cheap if you only tip that much for any service.

beerbandit
01-18-2005, 12:25 PM
sounds good --- depending on the size of the order

i might tip more if im in a hotel room and they have to go up multiple floors

cheers

MortalWombat
01-18-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yea, that goes without saying. I'm never ordering from this place again.

[/ QUOTE ]But you should also call the restaurant owner or manager and tell him that you are doing so, and explain why.

turnipmonster
01-18-2005, 12:54 PM
the guy is probably having a really bad night and on major tilt, but that said he's way out of line. I would just never order from there again. I used to deliver pizzas back in the day and was generally happy not to get stiffed.

--turnipmonster

Slacker13
01-18-2005, 01:02 PM
How did the loogy taste? You probably didn't even notice it was there. Pissing off anyone with access to the food your about to eat is a bad idea, whether your right or wrong he is pissed off and has your food privately in his vehicle for 10-15 minutes. I would never order there again.

Asufiji2004
01-18-2005, 01:23 PM
I used to work for tips when I was in college. $2 isn't insulting, but It isn't flattering either. The delivery guy was completely out of line for saying what he did, but these guys make minimum wage. The tips is how they make a living. People will tip a bartender a buck for a 3 dollar beer, so what's the problem with tipping well for a guy that is bringing you food to your door. Regardless it's not like you stiffed him, delivery guy is just a jerk.

MEbenhoe
01-18-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is incorrect. I have worked as a pizza delivery guy, and believe me their is often a huge difference between different driver's quality of service.
Some of them deserve bigger tips than others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain. You may feel close to this because you've done the work before, but I'm sorry you're really not in a position where your service has any great degree of an impact on my overall satisfaction with the product I am purchasing from the company you work for.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally I usually throw the delivery guy a buck or so whatever the size of the order is, and instead of him considering me a cheapskate, he should show me some gratitude that I, the customer, deemed his service to be such that I put in some of my own income to raise his wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a statement that makes me a little angry, but it does make sense.
It makes me angry, because people generally have no idea how much money a driver makes comes solely from tips. The amount of wear on your vehicle is not covered by the delivery charges. Sure, it's supposed to be covered, but it's generally not enough.

Just understand that it's not really an "addition" to their wage. It is their wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, thats just plain wrong. Your base wage is the minimum wage you're making before tips. Tips is an extra bonus to your base wage. A bonus not deemed necessary to be given to all people who work minimum wage jobs. Again, no one has yet explained to me what makes the delivery guy so deserving of a tip over other minimum wage jobs. Also, you get money for the wear on your car for every delivery you make. If you don't feel this is enough to cover it, theres plenty of easily attainable jobs out there that don't require you to put wear on your car and will actually pay you more than minimum wage.

Also, in regards to your complaint about the restaurant using part of the delivery charge to pay for your per delivery wear on your car and keeping part of it for themselves, hasn't it ever occurred to you that the part of the delivery charge they keep is used to pay your wages?

VBM
01-18-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I don't exactly see what a delivery guy does that makes society think him worthy of a tip as opposed to other jobs that aren't normally tipped.

[/ QUOTE ]

the rules for society don't always make sense. why would you hold the door for someone who's disabled? why would you walk into a store and ever say "please" or "thank you" to a sales person, when they're being paid to do what they do and you're under no obligation to be polite?

you don't have to give the delivery guy jack if you don't want to. you're right; you're under absolutely no obligation to do so. the flipside is, right or wrong, some people will think you're a tightwad jerk. you can argue til you're blue in the face that you shouldn't be looked at that way but i think you'd find more people who'd sympathize with the delivery man than with you for your bruised ego.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 03:16 PM
So that was my Pooh-Bah post...

I wasn't even paying attention.

ilya
01-18-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Overly generous, maybe.
Insane, no.

I like to think of it this way....if your bill is $10 and you were gonna tip $1 but decide to tip $2, you've just made the guy 100% happier at a &lt;10% cost to yourself.

ricochet420
01-18-2005, 03:26 PM
I would have told him to go F$CK himself then threw the food on the ground and stomped all over it. Then I woulda said now take your chink ass outta here and I don't ever wanna see you again.

p.s. I am not racist, I hate everyone the same.
that being said, I will take advantage and slam
someone's ethnicity. F ALL you PC MF'S /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MEbenhoe
01-18-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Overly generous, maybe.
Insane, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did for 3 years, and 20% for delivery is insane.

edit: damn it you must have edited right before I hit quote on your original remark of "Dude have you ever worked in food service?"

Sponger15SB
01-18-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and the first thing he says as he's handing me the bag of food is that I shouldn't bother with a tip if it's only going to be $2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read the other responses, but I'd call where he worked immediatly and told them this.

[censored] one time a Dominoes Pizza delivery guy parked in front of my garage (I live in an "townhome" complex) because he was delivering a pizza to a person that lived next to me and I called Dominoes to complain about him because he clearly parked in a red zone and now I had to drive over to the guest parking spaces.

MEbenhoe
01-18-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I like to think of it this way....if your bill is $10 and you were gonna tip $1 but decide to tip $2, you've just made the guy 100% happier at a &lt;10% cost to yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if thats the case, then why don't you tip the guy who bags your groceries at the grocery store, the college kid working at best buy who helps you find that movie you were looking for, or lady behind the counter in the deli who put your order together for you? A tip to these people would make their day, cuz they don't usually get tips and this out of the ordinary extention of kindness would surely put a smile on their face. Where the difference between a $1 tip and a $2 tip to a delivery guy is just another buck in his pocket.

BullChip
01-18-2005, 03:51 PM
I think 15% is pretty standard in most cases.

However, say I order $10 worth of food, I'll tip $2 instead of giving him a buck and 2 quarters.

These days, I hear that 20% is the standard tip amount. Although I personally tip according to the service, I'll generally abide by the 15-20% rule.

On a side note, we went out to eat once at a sushi restaurant for the first time and our sashimi boat had ants on them and our meal took forever and service was really bad so we left 1 cent to make a statement. We must've ordered at least $80 worth of food. Probably close to $90 with drinks. Don't know why I'm disclosing this...

jakethebake
01-18-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Half the fee goes to cover the gas and maintenance expenses for the driver's car. The other half is retained by the company for some BS reason that I could never understand.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not my problem. I pay for the pizza. When I eat out, I don't pay the restaurant extra for using the restroom or to wash the plates. I pay for the food and those are included. If any restaurant ever tried that, I guarantee it would impact the waiter's tip.

[ QUOTE ]
The charge is how the driver gets to your house.
The tip is what you give him for his service.

[/ QUOTE ]
These aren't the same thing? I mean c'mon, he knocks and hands me a pizza. Service? I understand he lives on tips. and I'm willing to pay something. But I'm not gonna let them rape me.

[ QUOTE ]
The delivery fee isn't some sort of extra tip or pocket change the driver spends on beer.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right. That's what the tip is. The delivery fee is the owner's beer money. I'm not giving them both beer money. I'm just not willing to pay that much for delivery. How the driver and the company split the fee isn't my business.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How the driver and the company split the fee isn't my business.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine. But you are still wrong.

But whether you make it your business or not, you are being cheap.

The rest of your post is filled with many misunderstandings about how these particular businesses work.

[ QUOTE ]

These aren't the same thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. What part of gas &amp; car upkeep do you not understand?
The charge rarely covers it.

I'm not even going to try explaining any more of it.

MrFeelNothin
01-18-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[censored] one time a Dominoes Pizza delivery guy parked in front of my garage (I live in an "townhome" complex) because he was delivering a pizza to a person that lived next to me and I called Dominoes to complain about him because he clearly parked in a red zone and now I had to drive over to the guest parking spaces.

[/ QUOTE ]

You couldn't wait 30 seconds?

MrFeelNothin
01-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Delivery guys get paid minimum wage and they are clearly doing a lot more work than the 15 year old kids at McD's. If you can't respect them enough to give more than a $1 tip, I think you are a cheapskate. Why not order carryout and go get it yourself? Clearly having the pizza brought right to your door is worth more than $1 to you.

As for the difference in skill that AngryCola mentioned to you earlier, there is a huge gap in speed between the fast drivers that know there routes and the lazy guys who are just there because they failed at life. A smart driver will also be able to recognize more possible doubles, often resulting in you getting your order 10-15 minutes earlier.

jakethebake
01-18-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you are being cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]
$2 is 13% of a $15 pizza order. I'm getting a lot less service from a delivery guy than I'd be getting from a waiter in a restaurant. So I don't think it's at all cheap.

[ QUOTE ]
The rest of your post is filled with many misunderstandings about how these particular businesses work.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm glad we have such an expert on pizza delivery here as it's quite complicated. Regardless, I don't understand how a lot of businesses work. I don't really have to. I know what I'm willing to pay. But I do happen to know quite a bit about the restaurant business.

[ QUOTE ]
Not at all. What part of gas &amp; car upkeep do you not understand? The charge rarely covers it.

[/ QUOTE ]
First, there's not that much more "upkeep" on his car than there would be if he wasn't a delivery guy. Yea there's gonna be some incremental. But it's not my place to provide upkeep on his car. Just like it's not my place to pay extra for upkeep on the restrooms at a restaurant. Those are costs of doing business and charging extra for them is just ridiculous.

jakethebake
01-18-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Delivery guys get paid minimum wage and they are clearly doing a lot more work than the 15 year old kids at McD's. If you can't respect them enough to give more than a $1 tip, I think you are a cheapskate. Why not order carryout and go get it yourself? Clearly having the pizza brought right to your door is worth more than $1 to you.

As for the difference in skill that AngryCola mentioned to you earlier, there is a huge gap in speed between the fast drivers that know there routes and the lazy guys who are just there because they failed at life. A smart driver will also be able to recognize more possible doubles, often resulting in you getting your order 10-15 minutes earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're kidding right? You think there are career pizza deliverers that take pride in their speed? They're ALL in that job because they have no other skills or no ambition. Furthermore, the government minimum wage is ridiculously high! It's way more than unskilled labor should get or would get under a market system.

MrFeelNothin
01-18-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First, there's not that much more "upkeep" on his car than there would be if he wasn't a delivery guy. Yea there's gonna be some incremental. But it's not my place to provide upkeep on his car. Just like it's not my place to pay extra for upkeep on the restrooms at a restaurant. Those are costs of doing business and charging extra for them is just ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be kidding me. You don't think driving an extra 100 miles a day is going to cause his car to devalue faster? It is irrelevant if the extra miles cause more work to be done on the car or not. The fact that you are putting the miles on kills the value of your car. So yeah, the tips he gets are what pays for this so it is your responsibility.

MrFeelNothin
01-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Many of them are there only temporarily and are going to school or already have a degree and have a plan for their life. $5.50 an hour is not a very high wage, tips are their main source of income. And I agreed with you that $2 was an ok tip, but not great. MEBenhoe talking about $1 tips I called cheap. I'll say it again, if it isn't worth the $2 to you to have the pizza brought to you, order carryout.

jakethebake
01-18-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You've got to be kidding me. You don't think driving an extra 100 miles a day is going to cause his car to devalue faster? It is irrelevant if the extra miles cause more work to be done on the car or not. The fact that you are putting the miles on kills the value of your car. So yeah, the tips he gets are what pays for this so it is your responsibility.

[/ QUOTE ]
We said "upkeep" not depreciation. Either way, it's still not my responsibility.

daryn
01-18-2005, 05:35 PM
a lot of people drive long distances to go to work.

jakethebake
01-18-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Many of them are there only temporarily and are going to school or already have a degree and have a plan for their life. $5.50 an hour is not a very high wage, tips are their main source of income. And I agreed with you that $2 was an ok tip, but not great. MEBenhoe talking about $1 tips I called cheap. I'll say it again, if it isn't worth the $2 to you to have the pizza brought to you, order carryout.

[/ QUOTE ]
Like i said it is worth $2 to me, but it's not worth $4, which is what I end up paying if I tip $2 and they take a $2 delivery charge. That's a 27% increase in the price of my pizza, which is just ridiculous.

stabn
01-18-2005, 05:40 PM

ten dollar bills are different than 40. The job is essentially the same. I basically tip 2-3 dollars per delivery. I would never tip more than three unless i was getting something delivered in a blizzard. Or, on new years eve when i just feel bad for the dude who's delivering pizza's at ten PM instead of at a party. Lets say my bill is 40. You tell me you tip 20%. Are you really tipping eight bucks? Because i'm tipping three. Two if he was slow and doesn't say he's sorry and give me a reason. He does no more work for a $40 order than he does for a twenty, so there's no way i'm tipping him 5+ dollars.

Gronk
01-18-2005, 05:42 PM
I used to deliver pizza and $2 was plenty for me on a single delivery. However when I place larger orders I up my tip accordingly not because the delivery takes more effort but because the larger the order is the less room there is in the driver's car/bags for other orders on that particular run. As a driver I would have rather taken 9 pizzas to 9 different houses than 9 pizzas to two houses. Chances are I'd make more in the first scenario.

stabn
01-18-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You couldn't wait 30 seconds?

[/ QUOTE ]
Red means red. Pizza dude shouldn't have parked there to save himself ten seconds.

ilya
01-18-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

ten dollar bills are different than 40. The job is essentially the same. I basically tip 2-3 dollars per delivery. I would never tip more than three unless i was getting something delivered in a blizzard. Or, on new years eve when i just feel bad for the dude who's delivering pizza's at ten PM instead of at a party. Lets say my bill is 40. You tell me you tip 20%. Are you really tipping eight bucks? Because i'm tipping three. Two if he was slow and doesn't say he's sorry and give me a reason. He does no more work for a $40 order than he does for a twenty, so there's no way i'm tipping him 5+ dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, good point...I would tip around $5 if the bill was $40, which is obviously much less than 20%. The part that I really have a problem with is tipping under $2 on smaller orders. He does no less work for a $10 order than he does for a $40, so there's no way I'm tipping him less than $2.

Gronk
01-18-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're kidding right? You think there are career pizza deliverers that take pride in their speed? They're ALL in that job because they have no other skills or no ambition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know several career pizza delivery people who make close to 50k/year because of their speed without getting tickets and can do so from the time they're in their teens instead of working their way up to that. "Ambition" and "Other Skills" can be overrated when it comes to making money. Most of that 50k is tax free. That's a decent living.

stabn
01-18-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Ok, good point...I would tip around $5 if the bill was $40, which is obviously much less than 20%. The part that I really have a problem with is tipping under $2 on smaller orders. He does no less work for a $10 order than he does for a $40, so there's no way I'm tipping him less than $2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Distance from the pizza place greatly influences my tip on ten dollar deliveries. If i'm on the outskirts of the delivery zone, he's probably getting $2, if i'm close and they beat the amount of time they told me it was going to take, he'll get $2. But if i'm close and they say thirty minutes and it's 40 he's getting a buck.

MrFeelNothin
01-18-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We said "upkeep" not depreciation. Either way, it's still not my responsibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the difference? They are both costs incurred on the job that would never be involved in other minimum wage jobs. Tips are what cover this. So you can say its not your responsibility all you want but depreciation, upkeep and gas are not covered by the $.80/order compensation. They are covered by tips.

Theoretically lets say everybody tipped $1 no matter what, small or large order as MEBenhoe suggested. The quality of the delivery service would go way down if you could even find people who were willing to deliver at all. All the people that tip $3+ cover for the freeriding stiffers.

MrFeelNothin
01-18-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a lot of people drive long distances to go to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

These people can carpool, ride the bus, move, or get a job closer to home. Driving long distances TO work is not the same as driving long distances WHILE working.

daryn
01-18-2005, 06:24 PM
eh, i see it as the same. you drive X miles due to work.

Asufiji2004
01-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Damn some of you people are effin cheapasses. $2 is bare minimum, how can anybody tip a dollar. That baffles me. How many people would actually eat pizza hut, dominoes, papa johns or any pizza joint's pizza if it wasn't delivered. When I delivered pizza, close to 95% of our business was delivery. For crying out loud they bring you food while you sit on your ass in the comfort of your home. Give them a few bucks. Stop worrying about a % increase in the price of your pizza. If pizza cost 100 bucks then maybe that could be an argument, but we're talking about a few xtra dollars. Most major pizza chains offer free delivery. I have never heard of a $2 charge for delivery.

LockForward
01-18-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Well if thats the case, then why don't you tip the guy who bags your groceries at the grocery store....

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, am I the only one who does tip them?

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You would still be very wrong.

There is a huge difference.

But I wouldn't expect the likes of jake to understand.

From you, I expect more!

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First, there's not that much more "upkeep" on his car than there would be if he wasn't a delivery guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement alone is laughable.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

Yes, you are cheap.
No, I don't think you have any idea of how these businesses work. And you also have a moronic way of looking at this whole thing.

"I don't have to if I don't wanna." is basically your attitude. While it is true, it shows you to be a completely selfish and self-absorbed personality with absolutely zero concept of how the logistics of delivery businesses work.

Yes, you should give up trying to convice anyone, because your statements are idiotic.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You think there are career pizza deliverers that take pride in their speed? They're ALL in that job because they have no other skills or no ambition.

[/ QUOTE ]

F you jake.

Yes there are.
Yes it matters in relation to tips and many other things.

No other skills or ambition?
What a complete joke.

Thanks for telling me that about myself.

Obviously I'm just one of those poor stupid people that can't get a real job.
What kind of superior ass crap is that, jake?

You can make very good money at pizza delivery.
You make far more money than at most ANY OTHER PART-TIME JOB.

I've known some very intelligent people who wouldn't do any other kind of part-time work while they were in school. Why?
The money and the freedom. It's unfortunate you refuse to believe there is anyone of intelligence in the service industry.

Again, thank you for telling me how stupid and without skill I am.
You really are an idiot.

I've never done this to a self-important idiotic customer before, but I would spit in your food without hesitation.

ilya
01-18-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if thats the case, then why don't you tip the guy who bags your groceries at the grocery store, the college kid working at best buy who helps you find that movie you were looking for, or lady behind the counter in the deli who put your order together for you? A tip to these people would make their day, cuz they don't usually get tips and this out of the ordinary extention of kindness would surely put a smile on their face. Where the difference between a $1 tip and a $2 tip to a delivery guy is just another buck in his pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are on salary and are thus not depending on tips for much of their income.

stabn
01-18-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Because they are on salary and are thus not depending on tips for much of their income.

[/ QUOTE ]

None of those people are on salary. All of them make at or near minimum wage but don't get tips.

Tosh
01-18-2005, 08:05 PM
A tip is not a right. If someone does their job and gives me good service, then yes I will tip, if not I won't. If I was in that position I would expect nothing more than that and it is fair as far as I am concerned.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A tip is not a right. If someone does their job and gives me good service, then yes I will tip, if not I won't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course! I would never suggest otherwise.
I was just frustrated with the "better than you" attitude a certain someone was exhibiting.

Also, it's fair to say if the driver has to climb a lot of stairs, locate you in a hotel, or is driving in bad conditions, the service is more valuable and in my opinion deserves a larger tip.

At least so long as the person didn't screw up the order or take too long.

Btw (to all), it's usually not the driver's fault if your order is messed up.
Obviously you can't be "expected" to take this into consideration when deciding how much and whether or not to tip. But it's worth noting.

daryn
01-18-2005, 08:16 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

You would still be very wrong.

There is a huge difference.

But I wouldn't expect the likes of jake to understand.

From you, I expect more!

[/ QUOTE ]

please explain the huge difference. you are so quick to tell someone they are wrong, well explain yourself.

guy A goes to the pizza joint right down the st., then proceeds to drive 100 miles (somehow) during his shift.

guy B drives 50 miles to work and 50 miles home.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 08:20 PM
For Guy A, driving is his job.
Also, remember that we aren't just talking about car upkeep.
The charge is supposed to cover the gas too.

For Guy B, driving is not his job. He doesn't have to get his vehichle inspected each week or record his mileage on a chart every day. Guy B can get to work any number of ways. Driving is not his work.
Therefore, it's not the employer's problem and has nothing to do with them.
That is not the case when you are driving for a living.

That's enough of a difference for me and the folks who like to tax us.
Maybe it's not for you.
I don't really care anymore.

*EDIT*
Btw, the reason I didn't state this earlier was because someone had already made the point for me.
I saw no reason to repeat someone else's post... this time.

There are also other differences, but I'm bored and feel like doing something else. Besides, I gave the big reason they are different anyway.

MEbenhoe
01-18-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's so much wrong in this statement I don't know where to begin.

First of all, I worked at a fast food restaurant for 3 years in high school, and it was the hardest job I've ever had. Every once in awhile when I was at work something from the restaurant would need to get run somewhere. When this happened the manager would inevitably ask who wanted to go and it usually resulted in an argument over who should get to go. Why were we all arguing? Because these deliveries were the easiest piece of crap jobs in the whole fast food restaurant, just like the pizza delivery guy has the easiest crap job at the whole pizza place. That kid working at McDonald's does way more work than you'll ever know, and if you don't think so why don't you go work a lunch rush sometime and see what its like to pump out a few hundred orders in under an hour.

Now in the 3 years I worked at this place I received a tip one time. It was from an elderly gentleman who was impressed with the level of service I gave him, and the positive attitude I had in the middle of a lunch rush. When he received his order he slid a dollar across the table to me and said "Thanks Matt, go buy yourself a cigar with that". Did he get some obnoxious comment back about how he was being a cheapskate for only tipping a dollar? No, instead he heard from me something along the lines of "Thanks a lot sir, I really appreciate it". I've never heard a delivery guy say anything even remotely as nice as that to me for a tip. But hey I'm a cheapskate cuz they're so deserving of a big tip. Yeah right.

Finally, why I'll get my pizza delivered to me and still only tip $1 and feel just fine about it is that I'm paying more than $1 for delivery. I'm already paying for the labor with the delivery charge. The tip is a nice bonus I'm giving him, that he should be thankful to get. So basically you're asking me to pay for labor twice.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 08:39 PM
There's so much wrong with your statement I don't know where to begin.

[ QUOTE ]
just like the pizza delivery guy has the easiest crap job at the whole pizza place.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a joke, right?
I completely disagree. The delivery guy had the hardest job at the place I worked. You had to do everything. Everybody else had one task, we had to manage all sorts of crap. Some people got to stand in front of the oven all day making pizzas and cleaning tables?

Oh sure.. that's a lot harder than all the work us drivers had to do.

I give up.

I'm not going to go into these long arguments with people on this thread anymore. This whole thing is starting to bore me and make me think I need to "retire" from 2+2.

stabn
01-18-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This whole thing is starting to bore me and make me think I need to "retire" from 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pussy.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Pussy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got it.
Just because I don't want to deal with assholes and idiots anymore, that makes me a pussy.

Good call.

It's nice to see everyone turn on me though.

MEbenhoe
01-18-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats new? Maybe its because you're wrong so much of the time when you get into these long arguments, but you're never willing to admit it.

stabn
01-18-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You got it.
Just because I don't want to deal with assholes and idiots anymore, that makes me a pussy.

Good call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, i should have used a smily. It was a joke.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but you're never willing to admit it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever read any of my posts?

I ALWAYS admit when I'm wrong.
I always make fun of people who can't admit they are wrong.
Let me see your examples showing threads where I was wrong (few and far between) and that I refused to admit I was wrong after being shown I was wrong.

I would really like it if you could show me all these things. I don't remember many, and you're really the only one around here who has ever said the things you just said to me.

In fact, most people say they respect my posts and to "keep it up". Jake even used to think I was a pretty decent guy. I'm sure he won't after he reads my replies to him, but whatever.

The above quote just shows you have no idea what you're talking about. Everyone here knows that the moment someone shows me that I'm wrong, I gladly admit to it. I'm not like some of those on here who do everything to avoid being called "wrong".

EDIT-
And since stabn was just kidding, I retract my earlier statement.

TimM
01-18-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You expect this message board to go easy on someone who is on tilt? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

DangerGoodson
01-18-2005, 08:50 PM
just ordered pizza in freezing weather. Going to tip the guy $2.01, cause I'm an [censored].

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You expect this message board to go easy on someone who is on tilt? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was really just talking about stabn. I usually respect his posts and his attitude surprised me.

I should have known he was just kidding.

Honestly, I know you were kidding (hence the wink), but you are right to say this thread puts me "on tilt".
Some of the things that have been said really make my blood boil.

MEbenhoe
01-18-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Theoretically lets say everybody tipped $1 no matter what, small or large order as MEBenhoe suggested. The quality of the delivery service would go way down if you could even find people who were willing to deliver at all. All the people that tip $3+ cover for the freeriding stiffers.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you made this statement means you clearly don't understand economics. Please step into Professor Ebenhoe's classroom.

Taking your theory that everyone tips $1 per order. We start with a base salary of the national minimum wage of $5.15. We'll say the delivery guy can only make 4 deliveries in an hour. $1 tip per order = $4 in tips. Add on $0.80 per order for gas and upkeep and thats an extra $3.20 per hour. Which gives you a total hourly wage of $12.35/hr. Yeah I'm sure you'd have a hard time finding someone to deliver pizzas for $12.35/hr.

Do you know why its never hard to find someone to work as a delivery guy? Because there is a surplus in the supply of people who are willing to work as delivery guys under the current market wage. This is why not everyone who applies to be a delivery guy gets the job. This is similar to why we have unemployment in unskilled laborers in this country. The minimum wage is set at a point higher than what the open market wage would be for these people. When this happens you end up with a surplus in the supply thus unemployment.

stabn
01-18-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I was really just talking about stabn. I usually respect his posts and his attitude surprised me.

I should have known he was just kidding.

Honestly, I know you were kidding (hence the wink), but you are right to say this thread puts me "on tilt".
Some of the things that have been said really make my blood boil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like i said, my bad for the no smily. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif I haven't ever done delivery so i have no idea how hard it is or not, or how it compares to other minimum wage jobs. I know the worst thing about taco bell was the dish soap that irritated my skin so it definitely wasn't the hardest thing i've ever done /images/graemlins/smirk.gif. In any case, i think most people feel that they get less total service from a delivery guy than they do a waiter (there are of course exception; like ten flights of stairs in a hotel), and that's why they are tipped less. Of course, there's also no public scrutiny with a pizza guy, so the cheap-asses can be themselves.

Nottom
01-18-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a joke, right?
I completely disagree. The delivery guy had the hardest job at the place I worked. You had to do everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just wrong. When I worked as a delivery guy I hated having to work the day shift because it would always get slow between lunch and dinner and inevitably I would be stuck inside having to wash dishes or do prep work or do whatever other crap work the inside guys do normally would do. All of that crap sucks I would rather drive around town handing pizzas to people any day with or without tips.

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Just remember the key point here:
[ QUOTE ]
at the place I worked

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right about the day shift though. It's very slow.

At my store, we had to do all the little things you were talking about (and more) even if we were working the prime shift. We really did have far more resposibilities than any other wage position in the store.

But...
I understand this is probably not the case at most establishments.

MEbenhoe
01-18-2005, 09:35 PM
I just pmed you the same thing, but I apologize for the comment I made in your direction. It was out of line and merely a dumb comeback made in the midst of an argument. I should've shown the respect to merely keep the argument to the subject matter, and not resort to shallow personal shots. So again I apologize to you for that comment.

brassnuts
01-18-2005, 09:59 PM
On second thought, I wouldn't stiff the guy. I'd politely take two pennies and set them on my doorstep and tell him, "Well, here's your tip. You can take it or leave it," then shut the door.

TimM
01-18-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On second thought, I wouldn't stiff the guy. I'd politely take two pennies and set them on my doorstep and tell him, "Well, here's your tip. You can take it or leave it," then shut the door.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful. The guy knows where you live, and you know next to nothing about him.

daryn
01-18-2005, 11:47 PM
For Guy A, driving is his job.
Also, remember that we aren't just talking about car upkeep.
The charge is supposed to cover the gas too.

For Guy B, driving is not his job. He doesn't have to get his vehichle inspected each week or record his mileage on a chart every day. Guy B can get to work any number of ways. Driving is not his work.
Therefore, it's not the employer's problem and has nothing to do with them.
That is not the case when you are driving for a living.

That's enough of a difference for me and the folks who like to tax us.
Maybe it's not for you.
I don't really care anymore.

*EDIT*
Btw, the reason I didn't state this earlier was because someone had already made the point for me.
I saw no reason to repeat someone else's post... this time.

There are also other differences, but I'm bored and feel like doing something else. Besides, I gave the big reason they are different anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

at the end of the day it's just 2 guys driving around the same distance. they both pay the same amount of money for gas and repairs, and they both don't get compensation for such expenses.

nothumb
01-19-2005, 12:08 AM
Walter: Am I wrong? Am I wrong?

Dude: No Walter, you're not wrong, you're just an [censored].

Walter: Okay then.

(I'll let others elaborate.)

NT

Jake (The Snake)
01-19-2005, 12:23 AM
this one just came to me and i deem this thread a semi-good place to add it in...

I have a rather heavy-set friend who orders pizzas, well, at least a couple times a week. So one time, he orders from a place claiming that you will get your pizza in 30 minutes or the pizza is free.

Well, the delivery guy gets there in 31 minutes. My friend grabs the pizza from him and says "31 minutes, you took too long." He then goes inside and closes the door while listening to the delivery guy beg and complain that he's going to get fired. How wrong is this?

Jacks Up
01-19-2005, 12:30 AM
Maybe I'm biased because I worked in retail in high school, but delivering pizzas can be a tough job. You have to put mileage on your car, you have to speed sometimes to get an order to a customer on time, and you have to put up with cheapasses.

If I get a $21 order from Pizza Hut delivered, I'm tipping the delivery guy $4 at least. If he gets it here fast he's getting $5. Last December I ordered 6 pizzas from Pizza Hut for my friends(11 of us) and the total bill was something like $61.30. I gave the guy 4 twenties, for a tip of about 30%. His face just lit up. Mine would light up too if I was working that job and just got a $19 tip. It made me feel good afterward, because the kid looked like he was working his way through college. But that's irrelevant. And i don't want it to seem like it was charity or something because it wasn't. He was speedy and did a good job in inclement weather.

Do you really want some guy to spit in your food just because you decided to be a cheapskate? I don't like tasting spit in my pizza, and I suspect you don't either.

Of course you don't have to tip what I tip, but at least 15% is standard. So tip $3 at least on a $20 order.
Cheers.

Shajen
01-19-2005, 08:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this one just came to me and i deem this thread a semi-good place to add it in...

I have a rather heavy-set friend who orders pizzas, well, at least a couple times a week. So one time, he orders from a place claiming that you will get your pizza in 30 minutes or the pizza is free.

Well, the delivery guy gets there in 31 minutes. My friend grabs the pizza from him and says "31 minutes, you took too long." He then goes inside and closes the door while listening to the delivery guy beg and complain that he's going to get fired. How wrong is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would anyone's answer change if the guy who ordered the pizza was a skinny lil dude? Maybe, maybe not.

Either way, 1 minute...I'd probably let it slide. But I also don't need the $20 or whatever it would cost to pay for the pizza.

MrFeelNothin
01-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Well, I really dont want to bring this thread up to the top again as I don't have much to add, but then again....

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you made this statement means you clearly don't understand economics. Please step into Professor Ebenhoe's classroom.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhh thanks professor I took Econ. and I understand it just fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Taking your theory that everyone tips $1 per order. We start with a base salary of the national minimum wage of $5.15. We'll say the delivery guy can only make 4 deliveries in an hour. $1 tip per order = $4 in tips. Add on $0.80 per order for gas and upkeep and thats an extra $3.20 per hour. Which gives you a total hourly wage of $12.35/hr. Yeah I'm sure you'd have a hard time finding someone to deliver pizzas for $12.35/hr.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you are going to add in the $0.80 for gas, upkeep and depreciation you could actually try subtracting the gas, upkeep and depreciation. Which by the way is not even close to covered by the $0.80. 4 deliveries an hour I can live with as an estimation, although that is really only attainable as an overall average if you only work during peak hours. Take a daytime shift and you'll be lucky to get 1 an hour. Anyways, moving on, I doubt the actual wage factoring in the costs would be more than $9/hour if everyone tipped $1. I know I could work at Best Buy and do nothing but sit on my ass all day for $9/hour. I simply don't agree that people are lining up to deliver pizzas as it is, at the wages they would theoretically get if everyone only tipped $1 I doubt that you would be able to find many drivers.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know why its never hard to find someone to work as a delivery guy? Because there is a surplus in the supply of people who are willing to work as delivery guys under the current market wage. This is why not everyone who applies to be a delivery guy gets the job. This is similar to why we have unemployment in unskilled laborers in this country. The minimum wage is set at a point higher than what the open market wage would be for these people. When this happens you end up with a surplus in the supply thus unemployment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I don't know if you own a Dominos or something, but I don't think you do and I am going to have to simply disagree that there is a large surplus of delivery drivers. The only thing I have to go on there is that my buddy and I had no problem finding jobs delivering last summer. There may be a surplus, but I doubt that you really have any idea. Even if there is a surplus currently, I can say definitively that there would not be a surplus of drivers if people all tipped as outlined above. I know I would not have done the job for those wages and I am pretty sure most of the people I worked with wouldn't have either.

Anyways, this argument of two former delivery drivers vs. a couple of Mr. Pinks seems to have reached a stalemate. It was fun though.

And to AngryCola, I'm sorry I wasn't here to back you up while you were tilting. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

jakethebake
01-19-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I don't know if you own a Dominos or something, but I don't think you do and I am going to have to simply disagree that there is a large surplus of delivery drivers. The only thing I have to go on there is that my buddy and I had no problem finding jobs delivering last summer. There may be a surplus, but I doubt that you really have any idea. Even if there is a surplus currently, I can say definitively that there would not be a surplus of drivers if people all tipped as outlined above. I know I would not have done the job for those wages and I am pretty sure most of the people I worked with wouldn't have either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know for a fact there's a surplus of people willing to be drivers. I know it because if there weren't then pizza places would have to pay them more. The market would dictate it. Actually the surplus is there because they're paid way too much due to socialistic idiots in Washing ton that dictate a ridiculously high minimum wage. Where do these morons come from that just feel entitled to things?

Daniel Hoerr
01-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Man, what a group of angry people in here! /images/graemlins/confused.gif Throwing food on the ground, telling him to $&amp;@#! off? Come on now, can't we all just get along??? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I honestly stopped reading the thread after a few replies and just thought I'd throw a thought from a different angle in the mix.

These people (delivery, servers, bartenders, etc; any tipped position) have to be used to dealing with all types of people. They're going to get some stiffies and some more generous types. If they're in the business long enough, they'll realize this and just accept it as "the way it is". That being said - I'd guess your delivery guy either is new in his job and expected more than he's getting, or is established and has some pretty regular generous customers.

IMHO, it really doesn't matter what YOU do as long as YOU are comfortable with your own choice. I happen to come from the service industry in years long past, so I subscribe to the "if you can make someones day with a few extra bucks, do it every time!" theory, but that's just me. I certainly wouldn't preach this to everyone, because it's the $2 guys that make my $5 induce a smile and an excited "thank you very much, sir". Simple $3 difference, but a HUGE difference in the guys attitude when he walks up to my door the next time, and walks on to the next door on his route.

And BTW - To all you who want to quantify out my $3 increase in price for the pizza/delivery charge/etc as being an astounding 150% growth in tip amount... If a few bucks matters to you so much as it's not worth making another person's day, you either need to start doing better at the poker table, or better yet, perhaps you should put down your poker theory books and get out into society a little more.
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

daryn
01-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Anyways, this argument of two former delivery drivers vs. a couple of Mr. Pinks seems to have reached a stalemate. It was fun though.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the problem with most of these message board discussions. everyone has such heated opinions because they used to deliver pizza, or they used to be a waiter, or used to work at a bar, whatever..

why can't people just try to think rationally and objectively? if a guy doesn't want to tip, all of a sudden he should be forced to wait tables for a year, JUST TO SEE WHAT IT'S LIKE! what a joke.

jakethebake
01-19-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if a guy doesn't want to tip, all of a sudden he should be forced to wait tables for a year, JUST TO SEE WHAT IT'S LIKE! what a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually I have worked for tips. I bartended for several years.

MrFeelNothin
01-19-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually the surplus is there because they're paid way too much due to socialistic idiots in Washing ton that dictate a ridiculously high minimum wage. Where do these morons come from that just feel entitled to things?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess they are better than the other kind. Sorry, that line just made me laugh.

Alright I'll cut through the bullshit about socialists in Washington...what do you think a fair/non-ridiculous minimum wage would be? I didn't think there were any people who disagreed so venemously with the current wage.

Tosh
01-19-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm biased because I worked in retail in high school, but delivering pizzas can be a tough job. You have to put mileage on your car, you have to speed sometimes to get an order to a customer on time, and you have to put up with cheapasses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets face it, regardless of whether it is a tough job or not, anyone could be a delivery boy. If someone doesn't like a job like that they are free to leave, the job will be filled quickly enough.

stabn
01-19-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Of course you don't have to tip what I tip, but at least 15% is standard. So tip $3 at least on a $20 order.
Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 15% is standard for waitstaff. Waitstaff are not pizza boyyzzzz. You overtip, that's fine, but not everyone should be giving 15% on 40 dollar orders, or go nuts and give someone eighty when they should give them 65.

jakethebake
01-19-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what do you think a fair/non-ridiculous minimum wage would be? I didn't think there were any people who disagreed so venemously with the current wage.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of people that disagree with the minimum wage...like anyone that has any knowledge of economics at all. There should not be a minimum wage. It creates inefficiencies in the economy. The market should set wages.

AngryCola
01-19-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of people that disagree with the minimum wage...like anyone that has any knowledge of economics at all. There should not be a minimum wage. It creates inefficiencies in the economy. The market should set wages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heres a shocker, Jake. I totally agree with the above statement.

Unfortunately, it is doubtful we will ever get back to a "real" economy.

MrFeelNothin
01-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Well I don't think that market set wages would be significantly lower. Honestly, how much lower can you go? So basically I do not care enough to make overblown statements about so-called socialists in Washington.
There will always be inefficiencies in out market and the government will always be setting regulations, minimums and maximums, in what it believes to be the interest of the people. Oh but I just remembered, I don't know anything at all about economics.

MrFeelNothin
01-19-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, it is doubtful we will ever get back to a "real" economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. ALthough we never really did have one. So jake might as well not get up on his soapbox this time.

jakethebake
01-19-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I don't think that market set wages would be significantly lower. Honestly, how much lower can you go? So basically I do not care enough to make overblown statements about so-called socialists in Washington.
There will always be inefficiencies in out market and the government will always be setting regulations, minimums and maximums, in what it believes to be the interest of the people. Oh but I just remembered, I don't know anything at all about economics.

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously, you don't. This post proves it.

MEbenhoe
01-19-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously, you don't. This post proves it.

[/ QUOTE ]

damn it you beat me to it

daryn
01-19-2005, 05:43 PM
ouch man, 2 against 1.

MrFeelNothin
01-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Meh.

I'm 6'6, bench 400 lbs. and have a 12 inch penis.

I guess I win.

Or we could go back to talking about tipping.

MEbenhoe
01-19-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif says the guy who's actually a 5'5" runt

daryn
01-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Meh.

I guess I win.

Or we could go back to talking about tipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

you still lose, trust me

MrFeelNothin
01-19-2005, 05:57 PM
5'5 with a 12 inch penis that is. /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MrFeelNothin
01-19-2005, 05:58 PM
I can make shorter, more pointless posts than you. [censored], no I can't.

Jacks Up
01-19-2005, 08:44 PM
I'm making up for the cheapskates.

Ahem

Jacks Up
01-19-2005, 08:45 PM
I think we should get rid of the Marines.

Really, Jake, they're just parasites like every other government worker when it comes right down to it.

TeeJayORTj
01-19-2005, 08:55 PM
I delivered Pizza in HS and people who tipped better certinly got better service. I would usually make runs with 3-4 orders and It would be an hour long trip so the last person might take 40-45 minutes to get the pizza. If I know you tip well your house will be first and you will be eating your food 30-40 minutes earlier. ON the other hand if I know you tip like crap well then hopefully you like cold pizza.

Also if the weather is really bad a more generous tip should always be expected and you should also look at the distance from the place. I know some houses I would have to drive to would take 20 minutes and It could end up costing me money if I dont get at least 2.50-3.00

But anyways if you only live 5 minutes away 2 bucks is a sweet deal if you ask me.

stabn
01-19-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Ahem

[/ QUOTE ]

???

jakethebake
01-19-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think we should get rid of the Marines.
Really, Jake, they're just parasites like every other government worker when it comes right down to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh good. I get to block one more troll. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mmcd
01-19-2005, 09:06 PM
More likely I would [censored] with him in some sadistic way.

My suggestion would be to get out a phone book to find the names and addresses and repeatedly call in orders for people that live as far away as restaurant would possibly be willing to deliver too.

You could also make up house numbers that don't exist when placing orders. This would work best using streets that have a lot a traffic and/or are 1-way.

Voltron87
01-19-2005, 09:55 PM
This thread just made me order Chinese food.

jakethebake
01-19-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
let us know how much you tip.

Voltron87
01-19-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
let us know how much you tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

$ 2.44 on a 13.56 order.

It is generous because I'm in NYC and the place is 2 two blocks away, but its also damn cold.

MEbenhoe
01-19-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I delivered Pizza in HS and people who tipped better certinly got better service. I would usually make runs with 3-4 orders and It would be an hour long trip so the last person might take 40-45 minutes to get the pizza. If I know you tip well your house will be first and you will be eating your food 30-40 minutes earlier. ON the other hand if I know you tip like crap well then hopefully you like cold pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is actually the way you decided to deliver pizzas, not only were you being an ass, but you were costing yourself money. You deliver them in the shortest order aka order that gets them all delivered in the shortest amount of time so that all customers get their pizza as fast as possible and you get back quicker to make more deliveries and earn more tips. If you're not just BSing and honestly delivered in the manner you say you're costing yourself more gas money and more wear on your car, and losing tips.

jakethebake
03-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Papa Johns is less than 2 blocks from my office. I ordered online and got an e-mail saying 45 minutes for delivery. He shows up after an hour and a half! No "sorry i'm late". He hands me the credit card receipt to sign and i ask for a pen. He doesn't have one. So I have to walk all the way back down the hall to my office for one and come back. I handed him the receipt and closed the door. I could see him though the window just standing there like he deserves a tip. i actually had $2 in my pocket with which i intended to tip him but no. i guess i can't order from there for awhile, but i dont really care.

mostsmooth
03-18-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
so how did he like getting $0?
btw, i wouldnt order any more food from that place, if for no other reason than not wanting to eat spit (or worse)

Russ McGinley
03-18-2005, 03:06 PM
That delivery guy deserves to get 10 runs in a row to the ghetto. Seriously that is weak. When I delivered for Dominos I would pray for $2 per run because we would routinely take 50+ runs a night, so that'd be $100/night in tips alone plus hourly wages. Next time when the bill is $11.43 or whatever, give him $12 and ask for the change.

jakethebake
03-18-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
when you provide crappy service, you don't deserve a tip.
T to
I insure
P promptness

...and they charge a $1.50 delivery fee already (yes, we've already beat that topic to death).

[ QUOTE ]
btw, i wouldnt order any more food from that place, if for no other reason than not wanting to eat spit (or worse)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea. I said that in my post.

stabn
03-18-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

T to
I insure
P promptness

[/ QUOTE ]

We've also beaten to death that....

THAT IS NOT THE DEFINITION OF TIP.

Your point that he did not deserve one is valid, but that defition is an urban legend.

mostsmooth
03-18-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
when you provide crappy service, you don't deserve a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]no kidding
[ QUOTE ]
T to
I insure
P promptness

...and they charge a $1.50 delivery fee already (yes, we've already beat that topic to death).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea. I said that in my post.

[/ QUOTE ]
as did many people, i didnt read the whole thread prior to posting /images/graemlins/cool.gif

SCfuji
03-18-2005, 03:24 PM
holy [censored] you go to UPS? i just graduated there last may!

hahahaha. my name is eugene, btw. i was in the business school.

peachy
03-18-2005, 03:34 PM
i always tip well...since my lively hood used to depend on it!!

jakethebake
03-18-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i always tip well...since my lively hood used to depend on it!!

[/ QUOTE ]

mine too. that's why i don't always tip well. when my livlihood depended on it, i did my job well. i worked for what i got. i provided good service. that's why i don't tip peoiple that do a crappy job.

riffraff
03-18-2005, 03:51 PM
$2 is standard for me. For delivery I rarely tip any more or any less.

ClassicBob
03-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Can I kill this thread now? It's been beaten to death enough already.

jakethebake
03-18-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can I kill this thread now? It's been beaten to death enough already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. It was pretty much dead. I temporarily resuscitated it to bitch about my lunch being late. Sorry foor the bad beat post.

lighterjobs
03-18-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I always figured $2 was pretty standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

i delivered pizzas last summer after i graduated high school and i always found that $1 was pretty standard. 2 or 3 was always lucky.

Grisgra
03-18-2005, 04:35 PM
$2 is fine . . . if you're living in 1990.

Assuming it's 2005 where you live, $3 minimum if they're timely and they didn't screw it up.

KowCiller
03-18-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell him the same thing I tell everyone who ever complains about any tip.

"Here's a tip: Get a job that doesn't depend solely on the generosity of others."

Period.

siccjay
03-18-2005, 06:59 PM
When I was younger I worked for tips so I tip well if its deserved.

I wouldn't even have taken the food from this guy. I'm always worried about people doing [censored] to food. (I've seen it done first hand) I'd tell him to take that spit laced [censored] back with him.

mike l.
03-18-2005, 07:43 PM
how much was what you bought?? $2 is fine for under $20. insane that he would say that. stiff him and call the manager. you MUST call the manager on this one.

tbach24
03-18-2005, 07:51 PM
One time I was chilling in my friend's dorm room and we ordered pizzas from Domino's. When it came, he was in the middle of a tourney and I was watching TV so it was only fair that I would get it. When I got downstairs and the guy was about to give me the pizza, he said in some foreign accent "25 dollar plus 5 dollar tip"

I was a bit confused and asked him to repeat and he said "I was just kidding, the pizza is 25 dollar though"
I finally processed the original statement, thought the guy was the man and decided to tip him the 5 anyways. The pizza sucked though.

AviD
03-18-2005, 08:05 PM
I usually shoot for 15-20%, but given his response I'd shove an eggroll up his ass.

Nevertheless, a pizza guy just came a few minutes ago and I tipped him $5 on a sub $20 order. $2 seems pretty cheap, but if your strapped for cash...tell him to nibble on a wonton...you need to eat!

SenecaJim
03-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Next time you get a comment like that take the money back and tell him " Hell, lots of times I only tip my dealer a dollar and he's pushing me MONEY".

Dominic
03-18-2005, 09:20 PM
screw that tool. A tip is for service above and beyond the call of duty. It's not your fault the loser has a job delivering food for a living. If he had said "don't bother with a tip" to me, I would've shrugged, said okay, and closed the door in his face.

SenecaJim
03-19-2005, 08:21 AM
Is " delivery-food-guy-insult" an oxymoron ?

pistolwhipped
03-19-2005, 08:41 AM
I believe the tip is solely dependent on a few factors:
1. The Bill.
2. How fast the food gets to you based on how long you are told it will take.
3. Recognizing the fact that it’s always best to be generous as you are getting a service along with a good.

As a rule of thumb, the website Tip The Pizza Guy (I apply it to any food delivery) offers good advice to what an acceptable tip is.

In your case with the delivery person saying that if all you’re going to tip is two dollars then you shouldn’t tip at all. You can tell him to go fvck himself and he can keep the change.

The only problem making that remark is that next time, the special sauce really might be special.

GFunk911
03-21-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How the driver and the company split the fee isn't my business.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine. But you are still wrong.

But whether you make it your business or not, you are being cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally type 2-3 bucks on delivery and 17-20% on sit-down food. I do well for myself, like a previous poster said, a 5% increase in what you pay is like a 40% increase in tip (approx), it feels good to give a tad more than the norm, etc, whatever.

That said, if a delivery place charged 2 bucks for delivery, I would certainly, at least mentally, think to give a lesser tip. Now when the guy shows up I usually end up leaving a normal tip cause I'm a nice guy and don't want to look like an a-hole but I sometimes do leave a lesser tip.

Essentially, the tip is part of what I pay in return for being delivered food. Food delivery costs money above and beyond what carry-out costs. The restaurant subsidizes it by paying a driver, and I pay my share with a tip. Once they start charging a delivery fee, above nad beyond the normal fee (i.e. no fee), I find it perfectly valid to tip less. I fully understand that the fee does not go to the driver, and instead goes to line the restaurant's pocket. If that make me an a-hole then so be it.