PDA

View Full Version : how to approach high blind/bad player tournament

Flatliner
01-17-2005, 11:03 PM
I regularly play poker at a local bar. The type of structure is almost always tournament-style-$20-buy-in. There are usually anywhere from 5 to 15 players. Everyone starts with $400 in chips and the blinds start at 20/40 (ridiculously high for the amount of chips in play). The one odd thing is that each tournament never gets to heads up play. If 3 places are being paid out then once it gets down to 3 people, the game is stopped and the person with the most chips gets 1st, second most gets 2nd, and so on. I've had varying degrees of success, but overall my record is about even. I have tried playing very tight, other times much looser. If anyone has any insight or advice on a proper strategy to approach this type of tournament it would be welcome. One other thing is that the players are very sub-standard at best (love draws and getting "lucky"). Thanks.

codewarrior
01-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Don't waste your time? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

mackthefork
01-18-2005, 08:28 AM
Sounds like a relatively straight forward, push or fold game, AK AQs TT+ early, AQo AJs 88+ MP and ATo A9s 55+ from CO or button, you'll either double up or bust out, and if you do double up just play it like a Party SNG.

Mack