PDA

View Full Version : River play vs. calling station - 5/10 6-max

JrJordan
01-17-2005, 08:59 PM
I decided to take a little stab again at the 5/10 6-max games now that I've replenished the bankroll a little bit. Tables definitely seem beatable with good selection, so I was happy to see that. I'm focussing on just playing 1-2 tables right now and working my way up from there.

Villain in this hand is very loose passive, and will call down to the river with any two cards hoping to hit a pair. Textbook player to value bet against right? PT stats are 50/3 with post flop aggression of less than 0.5 on each street, basically your dream come true in fish form. My question is what to do on the river. He'll call down with any two up to the river, but if hasn't hit he'll fold for a final bet on the river. What's my line on the river?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, MP folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (3 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (5 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...

SmileyEH
01-17-2005, 09:24 PM
Does he raise when he hits or only with a monster? For this spot if you dont think he will raise without a queen just bet and fold to a raise.

-SmileyEH

ggbman
01-17-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does he raise when he hits or only with a monster? For this spot if you dont think he will raise without a queen just bet and fold to a raise.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Too many 5-10 players will bluff at a scary river in my experience. I think you should check-call, with leading out and calling a raise a very close second.

SmileyEH
01-17-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain in this hand is very loose passive

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting and folding to a raise doesn't work unless the opponent isn't as described.

-SmileyEH

JrJordan
01-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Although he is loose passive, I still don't believe that if I bet that I can fold to a raise. Considering his previous fishiness, I could possibly see him raising if he hit two pair as well. Therefore bet/fold is a line I was not considering. Rather, is it better to check/call or bet and call a raise?

SmileyEH
01-17-2005, 11:37 PM
In that case I like a bet and call a raise.

-SmileyEH

JrJordan
01-18-2005, 02:51 AM
Alright results time. Villain shows Qd7d to take it down. When I said he'd call down with any two, I really meant it. I'm worried that my own thoughts on this hand are biased though. Any other opinions out there?

naphand
01-18-2005, 05:18 AM
Check-calling here is quite obviously wrong. Weak-tight.

As villain is too passive to bet this River without a big hand he is not going to bet a weaker hand or bluff a board this scary. Check-calling puts you in the spot where you win nothing with better hands and call his bets when you are behind. Not good poker.

You must bet this. Folding to a raise is possible, but you need a good read to do that, the pot is giving you 8:1 to call a River raise. Fish as bad as this will make their appalling draws, but they pay a heavy price. Let him win the odd pot and just make a note of what he does here after you make the crying call (some of these guys are so stupid-passive he might not even raise, fearing AQ). When you have played 500+ hands with him and never seen him raise without the goods, then a fold becomes easier.

imitation
01-18-2005, 09:08 AM
Bet and call a raise is so easy that I can't imagine doing anything else, this should be ABC I think guys....