PDA

View Full Version : Is this the right call?

Sluss
01-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Single table Sat top two get a seat.

We've been four handed for a long time. The first six went out fast. I've been stealing a lot with everyone afraid I'll bust them and they are all playing for that second spot. I have a little more than t8000 after posting the 300 blind. UTG has about t1100 and has been laying down a lot of hands. He goes all in. Second stack (about t3000) folds. Then the short stack in the samll blind goes all in with about t950 total. About a t2300 pot with my 300 big blind in there. I have a J /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. 800 to me to call. I know that I'm probably behind both the UTG pusher and the SB caller. Is it right here to call and hope that I catch a flop and eliminate both or should I have folded and let the two short stacks do battle?

In a regular SNG I call in a heartbeat, but with the flat payout structure I think maybe I should have folded and just kept myself the monster chip leader.

Texas Pete
01-17-2005, 07:47 PM
I would call. If I lose the 800 i'm still a heavy favorite to win. But it's like an extra chance to win it right there. John Madden would agree.

Irieguy
01-17-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

In a regular SNG I call in a heartbeat, but with the flat payout structure I think maybe I should have folded and just kept myself the monster chip leader.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's interesting that you realize this, but called anyways. The willingness for big stacks to call off their chips with marginal holdings on the bubble is exactly what makes the STEPS beatable for a 200%-500% ROI.

In a percentage pay-out tournament, the person with all of the chips at the end usually gets close to twice as much money as the second place finisher who has no chips. In a fixed pay-out satellite, the player with all the chips wins exactly as much as the second place player with no chips. The implications of this seemingly obvious fact cannot be overstated, and are rarely understood.

Irieguy

Sluss
01-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Thanks Irieguy, I just wish I did apply this thought. This was the first time I ever dealt with this type of payout. I did end up losing this hand (A6 for UTG and K10 for SB A69 flop) After taking three straight bad beats I was knocked out.

Then I put it in perspective, at one point I had 70% of the chips in play and the blinds were only 2% of my stack. I could have just check/folded to the seat. But my normal SNG play just took over and I was left with nothing.