PDA

View Full Version : Do NOT get tricky with bad players!

DavidC
01-17-2005, 04:42 PM
I've been debating whether or not to post this.

Last night I decided to play an entire hand blind: not looking at my cards at all, just played the hand out.

Well, you don't really plan these things, because if you did, you wouldn't do it, so I happened to spontaneously pick the worst time to do it: under the gun. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

---------

NLHE $1/$2 Live game, 6 players... mostly with equal skill post flop, though hero has more knowledge re: probabilities and there are three tight players. Hero is known to chase flushes, often betting all in on the flop and sometimes turn with them. He is also known to bluff.

Hero is under the gun. He is dealt two cards.

PF: Hero mimes looking at his cards, but doesn't actually lift them high enough to see what they are, and calls, tight player #1 folds in UTG+1, after seeing that hero, a tight player, has called, everyone else calls, tight player #2 was in the SB.

Flop: Th6h2c(Pot $10 - 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $5. 2 callers: blinds fold, including tight player #2.

Turn: 5h (Pot $25 - 3 players)
Hero looks at chips with eyes only, quickly, and checks. It's checked through.

River: 6d
Hero bets $45, button calls with 63o for trip sixes. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[censored] fuckity [censored]-[censored]!

It was embarassing too, because I said, "Well, you've probably got me beat, because I haven't looked at my cards."

No one believed me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As it turned out, I had Ah2c, with the suited ace... neato. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I thought I represented the flush 100% perfectly.

jedi
01-17-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero is under the gun. He is dealt two cards.

PF: Hero mimes looking at his cards, but doesn't actually lift them high enough to see what they are, and calls,

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's your first mistake. If you raise, it'd be a better play.

TheWorstPlayer
01-17-2005, 08:28 PM
I think it's best if you don't pretend to look at your cards. Let everyone know you don't know what you have and make them play their hand against random cards. Then bet a lot.

soah
01-17-2005, 08:48 PM
I think you've missed the point of the whole playing blind thing. The idea is to prey upon weakness to pick up pots, and get the hell out when someone has a hand. You can't do that out of position in a multiway pot. In your hand you just seemed determined to bluff your way through via brute force. At no point did you attempt to put your opponents on a hand. No read = no bluff.

The other option is to just tell your opponent that you don't need to look at your cards because you watched them look at theirs, and then tell them to get out of the kiddie pool. I'm not sure that would work though.

DavidC
01-18-2005, 07:18 AM
They'd just tear me to pieces. That's what I'd do. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DavidC
01-18-2005, 07:19 AM
A raise might be a more interesting play, but at this table a $10 raise drops 2/6 opponents. It also costs me $10 on random cards. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

It does give me a stronger image and more information though... since this hand will end in a bluff for me, I may as well take the image. Is this what you're getting at?

Biff M.
01-18-2005, 07:36 AM
Exactly, this is not the time for playing in the dark. If it's folded to you in the CO or Button, then you can raise blind and most likely pick up the pot PF or on the flop.

In my opinion.

DavidC
01-18-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't do that out of position in a multiway pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

My position in this hand is random. I thought that I was pretty clear about that in my original post.

If I wanted to play +EV in this hand, I would have looked at my cards, right? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

In your hand you just seemed determined to bluff your way through via brute force. At no point did you attempt to put your opponents on a hand. No read = no bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll explain my reads during this hand, because I don't think I was clear in my original post.

First round, they could have anything, except for the SB, who as a good player in an unraised pot in an NL hand with big stacks, could have quite a few cards, but not K2o or anything like that.

The board presents a flush and a straight draw on the flop, which means that two pair is also more likely.

I bet a little bit in early position to see what these guys think of their hands, if they're willing to back them... no one resists, but few fold. If they like their hands, I can make my decision that I'm folding blind, and then look at the cards to see if I actually have a hand, and play the rest of the hand normally (most likely folding, unless I made a set or something crazy like that).

I'm betting this flush draw because they have reads on me, which is that I chase flushes but that I also bluff. I'm beginning to represent a flush here, but I'm still flexible.

When the flush card hits the turn, I check. In early position, if I have a flush, I may very well check, to see if I can raise it. Therefore, my check here is consistent with what I'm trying to represent.

It's checked through, meaning that player #2 could possibly have a flush, player #3 very likely doesn't, and player #4 almost definitely doesn't.

If player #3 or #4 has two pair or something like that, they will likely bet, but Player #2 might be afraid of being raised...

So, we get to the river, multiway. At this point I bet it out, looking as though I'm a flush looking for one juicy call.

So it's a bluff, but I thought there was a lot more thought to it than just brute force.

OOC, if I had actually held A3s of hearts (for the flush), how well do you think I played this hand?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure (telling people I didn't look) would work though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately not. If only... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DavidC
01-18-2005, 06:27 PM
OOC, do you think that I represented a flush well, or would that bet have felt hollow if you were playing say NL $25 online at Paradise, or NL $50 at party?

amoeba
01-18-2005, 06:28 PM
why do you not want to drop 2 to 6 opponents? if its a multiway pot, you definitely have to be lucky and hit if you want to win. if its headsup, you can more easily win it on the flop without showdown.

Tilt
01-18-2005, 06:31 PM
I would start first by playing very drunk and work your way up to blind play.

What did you end up having? I suppose that would influence a lot whether people believed you.

amoeba
01-18-2005, 06:45 PM
in order to pull this off, you need too many things to happen.

1. he doesn't have a flush himself.

2. He doesn't read you for a bluff.

3. He is able to laydown his hand.

4. a 3 flush board actually happens so you can bluff at it.

and the he you are talking about will more often have a somewhat legitimate hand because you let multiple people see the flop.

its just too many things that I need happening for a bluff to be successful.

Thats why a preflop raise is better if I can limit players.

because all I need is for 1 guy to

1. feel I have premium hand

2. not make anything that beats TPTK on the flop

meow_meow
01-19-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Hero looks at chips with eyes only

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh

DavidC
01-19-2005, 04:09 PM
>> Hero looks at chips with eyes only

>This made me laugh

Lol! Alright, I admit, that's pretty funny.

I meant without moving my neck or head.

I didn't mean to imply that normally I view my cards through a periscope, which is the unfortunate truth. I'm actually quite short.