PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the call?

Kripke
01-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Ok. I've been at the table for app. 4 orbits. Villain (Button in both hands) has been out of line in several cases and made some rather mind boggling moves. Among other things the following:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($137.55)
SB ($3.5)
BB ($139.6)
Hero ($187.2)
MP ($133.2)
CO ($338.4)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $1.
Hero calls $2, MP folds, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, SB (poster) folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($9) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button is all in $131.55</font>, BB folds, Hero folds, CO calls $131.55.

Turn: ($144.55) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($144.55) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $144.55

Results below:
CO has Ah Jd (one pair, aces).
Button has As 8c (two pair, aces and eights).
Outcome: Button wins $144.55.

Villain is very aggressive and a borderline maniac. A couple of hands later the following situation occurs,

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($250.7)
SB ($108.45)
BB ($175.4)
Hero ($186.7)
MP ($113.6)
CO ($186.85)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $1. MP posts a blind of $3.
Hero calls $2, MP (poster) checks, CO folds, Button calls $2, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($11) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $10</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $10, MP folds.

My plan was to checkraise the flop, but after Button bet I decided to wait for a turn card (hopefully a spade or a J) and see await his move..

Turn: ($31) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)
</font>

Bingo.

<font color="#CC3333">Button is all in $238.7</font>,

Do you make the call?

istewart
01-17-2005, 04:19 PM
I fold the first one, and call the second one in a heartbeat.

jimdmcevoy
01-17-2005, 04:25 PM
It's hands like these that keep poker interesting!

the way I see it, his most likely hands are:

A9, A4, 44, 99, JJ in that order.

My resoning here is that if he played all these hands the way the action follows, he will have A9 and A4 about twice as much as 44 and 99, due to statistical math (can anyone verify this?)

and some bluff hands mixed in here and there, but even not cosidering the bluffs, this becomes a call I reckon.

given his action on the first posted hand, I think he would play A4 and A9 like this, and why not? the turn did not complete any draws, and if he got called the first time, he has a good chance of getting called here, and that way he wouldn't have to let a draw get there/kill his action.

But if this was me in this hand in real time I would probably time out from not being able to think clearly in the face of such and odd situation.

meow_meow
01-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Easy call for me.
Top 2, no straight of flush possible. Very possible that he has 44 or 99, but most players would try to get value out of a set here, and are more likely to push with 2 pair, pair and a flush draw, flush and OESD or even a naked flush draw.

PoBoy321
01-17-2005, 06:31 PM
Hand 1 is obviously an easy fold. On hand 2, I would have bet the flop, or tried to check/raise rather than check/call. After you spiked that J, it becomes an easy call. Granted, he could have 44 or 99, but considering how aggressively he played top and bottom 2 in the first hand, I'd expect him to play the flop differently here if he had a set. On the turn, I check/raise or in this case, check/call the all-in and expect to take it down from some type of ragged ace (A8, A7, etc.).

Kripke
01-17-2005, 09:24 PM
I called, and villain showed AA, river was a 9 for a full boat for villain.

Afterwards I was thinking whether he's a genius or just having a good day. The worst thing about it was that I was practically drawing dead from the flop and on. I considered the posibility of him having a set, but figured in that case I would have at least 4 outs. Actually, all things considered, I thought I was clearly in front.

edge
01-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Well, villian certainly has an interesting playing style. I need to learn how to use overbets, but I don't think pushing huge into a small pot with a monster is the best way to do it.

K C
01-17-2005, 10:20 PM
This is tempting, but remember, he had the goods the first hand. I'd be asking myself - what the hell does this guy have to be pushing here? I was thinking maybe trips of some kind when I first read it - probably not 2 pair here, since you had top 2. And that's your stack if you're wrong. It's a tough laydown though but you've got to be thinking that your chances of winning this aren't that good.

KC
kingcobrapoker.com

DoomSlice
01-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Has button been known to limp with mid-high pocket pairs? Since he obviously likes to overbet the nuts/almost-nuts, I would be very wary of JJ here.