PDA

View Full Version : DVD TV Series Suggestions

Brian
01-17-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm looking for suggestions on some good TV series to get into that I can buy on DVD and watch while playing poker. To give you an idea of the type of stuff I like, here's what I have right now:

The Simpsons
X-Files
Seinfeld

I'm mainly looking for good sci-fi and action stuff, but I'm open to comedy and drama as well. Thanks,

-Brian

Sponger15SB
01-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Curb your Enthusiam

Tosh
01-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Get Father Ted, you may have to order from UK.

DemonDeac
01-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Family Guy is a must

SomethingClever
01-17-2005, 03:56 PM
6 Feet Under - I was skeptical... and I was wrong. Great show.

Mr. Show - Should be right up your alley.

Transformers Box Set - Awesome.

Sports Night - Pretty good show.

Red Dwarf - Ask Piz0wn0red about this one.

Family Guy - Obvious.

thirddan
01-17-2005, 03:58 PM
first 3 seasons sopranos - don't get season 4, it really sucked...

Rick Diesel
01-17-2005, 03:59 PM
If you like 24, then you should definitely get the first season of Alias. It has gone downhill from there, but the first season was excellent.

junkmail3
01-17-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
first 3 seasons sopranos - don't get season 4, it really sucked...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought season three sucked, and season four got back on track.

So, just get them all.

stabn
01-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Futurama
Babylon 5

thirddan
01-17-2005, 04:02 PM
fair enough...get them all...

Brian
01-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Sponger, I rented the first season for Curb Your Enthusiasm a few months back, and just got tired of it after the first 5-6 episodes. I thought the first episode was really cool/funny/innovative/whatever, but then all the ones I saw after it were just like it. Larry tries to do something, and everything goes wrong for him, even though he's almost always in the right. Are the 2nd and 3rd seasons much like the first? If not, I'll give it another try.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to try Family Guy out. I'm really not that big of a fan of animated comedy, but I've read a lot about it on 2+2 lately and it was the only DVD my girlfriend suggested while we were at Best Buy the other night.

For those who suggested Sopranos... I'd never seen The Godfather before until a few weeks ago. I finally broke down and rented it, watched it for 20 minutes, then had to turn it off. I just didn't like it at all. The beginning was moving way too slow for me and I've never really been into mafia type stuff before. So do you still think I should give Sopranos a try?

I'll look some of these others up on IMDB. I've heard a bit about Babylon 5 and 6 Feet Under, hopefully I can find some of those to rent at Blockbuster before I go all out and buy a full season.

Thanks again for the suggestions, keep 'em coming! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Brian

P.S. Anyone know if Farscape is any good?

thirddan
01-17-2005, 04:28 PM
sopranos and godfather are not really similar...sopranos is much faster paced...

istewart
01-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM RED DWARF. You might just cry watching it.

Oh, and get the Sopranos and Curb.

2planka
01-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Sci Fi: DS9

Drama: Homicide

Comedy: Coupling (BBC version)

Alobar
01-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Buffy the vampire slayer is the best TV show ever, and it isnt even close

The family guy is simply awesome and anyone who doesnt own the DVDs is suspect in my book

wayabvpar
01-17-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cry from laughing to hard, perhaps. One of the funniest shows ever on TV. The first couple of seasons were a bit rocky, but it is hysterical after that.

Series I own on DVD-
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
The West Wing
Friends
Band of Brothers (more a mini-series)
Coupling
Black Adder

I plan to acquire CYE soon, and need to start collecting the Red Dwarf series ASAP. Also need to pick up Sports Night.

drewjustdrew
01-17-2005, 04:37 PM
I agree on Curb your Enthusiasm. I rented the first season and had the same experience. How many times can this guy piss someone off for no reason? I think it would be a good show if you only watched an episode a week, as intended. Too much too soon is overkill.

eric5148
01-17-2005, 04:42 PM
If you like physical comedy, get the Red Green show. It's a Canadian show on PBS.

The only drama I watch is CSI. The original, not the Miami one with David Caruso. That guy annoys the hell out of me.

Tron
01-17-2005, 04:42 PM
Most of what has been mentioned so far is good. I say get Arrested Development. It probably wouldn't be very good for watching during poker, since you need to pay a little bit of attention, but it's really funny. Really, really funny.

Bulldog
01-17-2005, 04:44 PM
The Office
West Wing

River2Pair
01-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Kung Fu.

Kahn: Strike each flame, within the width of a hand from the wick [candle]. In this way the flame is snuffed out, yet the candle is not touched.
KCC: What is the purpose of so difficult a blow?
Kahn: Discipline. That you may strike with such strength, yet in one place, and no more.
KCC: Master, I am troubled. We learn to make powerful the force of out bodies. Yet we are taught to reverence all against whom we may use such force.
Kahn: When your life is threatened, or the innocent life of another, you will be prepared to defend them.
KCC: Being thus prepared better than others, should I not always stand and fight?
Kahn: Ignore the insulting tongue, duck the provoking blow, run from the assault of the strong.
KCC: Are these not the actions of a coward?
Kahn: The wild boar runs from the tiger. Knowing that each being well armed by nature with deadly strength, may kill the other. Running, he saves his own life, and that of the tiger. This is not cowardice. It is the love of life

swede123
01-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Just get Band of Brothers and watch it over and over. Far superior to anything else made for TV...ever.

Cheers,

Swede

codewarrior
01-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Millenium.

lapoker17
01-17-2005, 05:24 PM
Homicide may be the best TV show ever.

Freakin
01-17-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just get Band of Brothers and watch it over and over. Far superior to anything else made for TV...ever.

Cheers,

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

mmbt0ne
01-17-2005, 05:33 PM
The Office - The Complete Collection (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002W4P98/qid=1105997509/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-6878057-5757558?v=glance&s=dvd)

TazQ
01-17-2005, 05:33 PM
The Shield

Think of 24, except better and more realistic. You'll be hooked after the first episode.

Dynasty
01-17-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm mainly looking for good sci-fi and action stuff, but I'm open to comedy and drama as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want a sci-fi show, then you eventually have to get Babylon 5. It quickly became my all-time favorite TV show when it was on the air in the early/mid '90s.

swede123
01-17-2005, 06:08 PM
In my opinion, the best Sci-Fi show was Star Trek Deep Space Nine. Each of the seven seasons is first-rate, and approx 10,000 times better than any other Star Trek series.

Cheers,

Swede

carniplant
01-17-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and approx 10,000 times better than any other Star Trek series.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitly agree DS9 was the best trek series ever mostly because of the great arcing storyline, However Babylon 5 was lightyears ahead as arcing storyline and that made if the most fun to watch for me even if its visuals where never anything near DS9's

NLSoldier
01-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Family Guy is a must. I would also suggest CSI.

daveymck
01-17-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cry from laughing to hard, perhaps. One of the funniest shows ever on TV. The first couple of seasons were a bit rocky, but it is hysterical after that.

Series I own on DVD-
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
The West Wing
Friends
Coupling
Black Adder

I plan to acquire CYE soon, and need to start collecting the Red Dwarf series ASAP. Also need to pick up Sports Night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Red Dwarf was class the first three series and went downhill from there, play.com have got a box set of the fit 4 series got it before Christmas and is pretty good value, ( I am assuming it is the UK version not the US one).

If like UK comedy then Blackadder and Fawltey Towers are musts, if like the Office then I sugges The Royle Family as well but that may be a bit too UK ified for US tastes.

If you like Old sci fi then V isnt too bad a watch although the effects are a bit outdated.

Some of these are probably only on region 2 so not sure if you can watch them as we have pal format, multi region player should andle it I guess.

Red dwarf is available here but seems expensive http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?searchtype=r1title&searchstring=red+dw arf&page=search&Go.x=16&Go.y=10

scotnt73
01-17-2005, 08:31 PM
the muppets-not the movies but the weekly series they had years ago

DukeSucks
01-17-2005, 11:36 PM
I've been thinking of getting King of the Hill. That show cracks me up. I think a new season came out a few weeks ago. All the stores are always sold out of every season available, so I'll probably have to order it.

BWebb
01-17-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Office
West Wing

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead on. Bulldog, you are the coolest poster on the forum now.

ArchAngel71857
01-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Stargate SG:1. Brilliant sci fi concept. bad writing. But it has MacGyver and former Oregon All-American safety Chris Judge.

CSI
Arrested Development
Simpsons
Ali G Show
Futurama should be right up your alley
The Office

-AA

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Word.

Brian
01-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks all for the replies. Anyone have any comments regarding Farscape (or any other program run regularly on Sci-Fi channel)? Thanks,

-Brian

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks all for the replies. Anyone have any comments regarding Farscape (or any other program run regularly on Sci-Fi channel)? Thanks,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going that route, go for stargate.

Farscape IS a good show though. I just can't imagine paying for the DVDs.

Same thing with Stargate. I just can't see myself buying them, because the shows are on TV so damn much.

drewjustdrew
01-18-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Series I own on DVD-
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
The West Wing
Friends
Coupling
Black Adder

[/ QUOTE ]

Red Dwarf was class the first three series and went downhill from there, play.com have got a box set of the fit 4 series got it before Christmas and is pretty good value, ( I am assuming it is the UK version not the US one).

If like UK comedy then Blackadder and Fawltey Towers are musts, if like the Office then I sugges The Royle Family as well but that may be a bit too UK ified for US tastes.

If you like Old sci fi then V isnt too bad a watch although the effects are a bit outdated.

Some of these are probably only on region 2 so not sure if you can watch them as we have pal format, multi region player should andle it I guess.

Red dwarf is available here but seems expensive http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?searchtype=r1title&searchstring=red+dw arf&page=search&Go.x=16&Go.y=10

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a dvd burner, you can burn region 2 dvds into region 1. I just did that with some british copies of Coupling.

ArchAngel71857
01-18-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going that route, go for stargate.

Farscape IS a good show though. I just can't imagine paying for the DVDs.

Same thing with Stargate. I just can't see myself buying them, because the shows are on TV so damn much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Netflix.

-AA

johnnycakes
01-18-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Office - The Complete Collection (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002W4P98/qid=1105997509/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-6878057-5757558?v=glance&s=dvd)

[/ QUOTE ]

AngryCola
01-18-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Word.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish this had been my Pooh-Bah post. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

ricochet420
01-18-2005, 03:27 PM
carnivale

Nottom
01-18-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Shield

Think of 24, except better and more realistic. You'll be hooked after the first episode.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad somebody mentioned this, I think the Shield is the best show on TV right now.

offTopic
01-18-2005, 04:25 PM
I haven't read all the responses, but if you're into WWII stuff, Band of Brothers is the best show (it's a miniseries, actually) I've ever seen on TV.

BottlesOf
01-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Alias. It's not even close.

Oz is good too.

My only problem with these suggestions is that, I personally have toruble following series while playing poker. My tv watching while playing poker is very passive, and I'd easily miss a lot of either of these.

IndieMatty
01-18-2005, 04:46 PM
It is disgusting that no one has mentioned the Tenacious D box set.

Besides being great since it is never on anymore, it's worth the DVD purchase.

(the same can't be said for seinfeld/family guy/west wing etc because it's on all the time)

2planka
01-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Agreed. Best writing and the darker themes are refreshing after the utopian goody-goody Next Gen.

impecunious
01-18-2005, 05:23 PM
Since you're open to drama, you might want to check out E.R., NYPD Blue, and Oz. The early seasons of all three of these shows is excellent.

B00T
01-18-2005, 05:40 PM
woo someone else mentioned NYPD Blue. Season 1+2 are out, have been for over a year, and I am awaiting the rest. Great great show, and definitely good to get into.

NYPD Blue for Drama, and Family Guy for comedy are my choices.

citanul
01-18-2005, 05:48 PM
I have a couple of friends who are head over heels nuts about this show.

I gave a "random" sampling of 5 or 6 episodes (pilot, 2 part miniseries that recently aired, and a few others) views, but after having flushed that % of my life down the toilet, I can honestly say that I have no intention of ever watching another episode. It was absolute crap. And not fun crap like say, STtNG, or Buffy or any of those things. Just crap. Possibly horse crap.

blech.

citanul

Sopranos
(Miniseries) Angels in America
Homicide, if you like the show at all
Star Terk tNG if you're a fan, and can pick them up cheapo

Personally, I don't see the point of getting the Simpsons. It's on ALL THE TIME.