PDA

View Full Version : couple of hands

djoyce003
01-17-2005, 03:33 PM
really new to nl which is why i tried the $25 tables. Can i get a little advice? Very new to the tables so no reads yet, but I feel like I played the hands ok. I was wondering if some of the more experienced no limiters at the table felt the same.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($33.67)
MP ($26.65)
CO ($56)
Button ($62.73)
SB ($50.8)
Hero ($26)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
Converter not putting in the hand info, but utg limps, fold, co bets $1, button folds, sb complets, I raise to $10. UTG folds, CO moves all-in, button folds, sb folds, I call.

Flop: ($0.75) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>

Turn: ($0.75) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>

River: ($0.75) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>

Final Pot: $0.75

second hand

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button ($33.1)
SB ($16)
BB ($38.85)
UTG ($67.35)
MP ($38.55)
Hero ($22.65)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, Button folds, SB (poster) folds, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $20</font>, BB calls $0.64.

Turn: ($29.90) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($29.90) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $29.90

jimdmcevoy
01-17-2005, 03:59 PM
Hand 1 : your raise is too big unless you know this guys will call you with a hand like TT or JJ, your raise should be in the neighborhood of $5. But, given that you raised $10 and he went all in, you have to call.

Hand 2 : I like your preflop raise, no worries there.

Although your opponent may have JJ or QQ, I think a flopped set or two pair(a suited connecter hand) is more likely. Besides, JJ or QQ still have outs to KK, you are by no means guaranteed to win in one of those match-ups.

In conclusion, unless you have a read on this guy to indicate you have him beat I fold here. This just seems exactly what someone would do with a flopped set, get the money in now since if a J or 7 fell on the turn, it would kill his action, and maybe put him behind.

And this is something that you have to get used to doing, certain situations dictate folding AA or KK on the flop, and it is very painfull.

I'm interested what others have to say about hand #2

jtr
01-17-2005, 04:18 PM
I agree with Jim on both counts: hand 1, don't raise quite so big. (Or if you want to raise a lot, just push -- see Wayfare's magazine article.) But when he reraises all-in you must call with KK in this game.

In hand 2, I like it fine until your flop bet gets raised. That guy just might have a straight draw but it's highly unlikely. Like Jim, I suspect a set. Fold to the raise.

djoyce003
01-17-2005, 04:55 PM
thanks for the input guys. I think maybe I should have raised a little more on hand 2 to entice a fold, or at least make them pay to play with bad hands. I called in hand 2, and he showed me 10 8 suited for flopped two pair.

Hand 1, I suspected that my pfr was too big. I did it because I wanted to be heads up, and thought the guy that pushed might call, just because he had a propensity to call big bets. However, in this case, he had aces and they held up so I lost again. I just wanted to check and see if I was playing these poorly, and it appears that I am. Thanks for your help guys. I normally play 5/10 limit so losing $25 isn't too painful, but I want to really work on my game, and you've helped a lot. Hopefully i'll be posting some more hands.