PDA

View Full Version : WPO Tunica Report - brief and funny (as usual)

Abe
01-17-2005, 03:02 PM
Was there the first 11 days, so got to see the first two weekends and the lull in between.

2 + 2 GET TOGETHER:
Missed it! Showed up at the previously announced date/time and found out the get together had been held a couple days earlier.

HORSESHOE DEALERS/2+2 POSTERS:
"Chipr777" dealt a down with me at his table. He AGAIN deals me NO winners, but I give him an "Abe" chip anyway.
Missed meeting "Bigfishead" even though I played on his shift several times. Will bring him a big-fish-head chip next time.

CAVEMEN PLAYING POKER:
Told this story every time a player showed a wheel straight in holdem around 4 - 6 am.

Its 40,000 years ago - Ice Age on the European continent.
Theres a bunch of cavemen sitting around playing poker. One of them tables a 5 high straight and says; "I've got the wheel".
The other cavemen say; "What is that?"

Usually dead silence after the story, then a couple of the players laugh or smile. The other 7 do not laugh or smile - and THATS the funny part of the story.

RIVERPARK MUSEUM:
Add this to your "A" list of Tunica attractions. Very nice.

CROWD SURGE:
This tourney always has a crowd surge the first weekend. I think its up 50% EACH of the last 3 years.

A lot of players like to whine and complain about this. ie, "I had to stand in line", or "The game waiting lists were too long." Hey -- No whine in January! Is that a siren? I thought I heard the "waaa-mbulance".

Poker's popularity means lots more players and that means longer lines and lists. If you don't want the lines and lists, don't come the crowded first weekend. I like seeing the crowd surge and watching the show. When these players finally DO get in a game, they are usually frustrated and tired. Thats a good thing.

Alternate strategies for avoiding the long waiting lists include playing early am. Pretty easy to get any game at 2am thru 9am. Or time your arrival and get your name on a list just before the tourney tables start to break down at the Horseshoe.

BEST SHIRT:
Guy had a red athletic jersey and on the front it said, Lets Gamble.

Look on the back and it says,
Rose

COSTS OUT OF CONTROL:
First time in the last twelve trips to Tunica that I have not been able to get the Gold Strike Poker rate (usually $20) and had to pay the full Tournament room rate of $45. Sigh - gonna have to tighten up and play better hands now.

Great fun to hear the locals complain about Harrahs raising the rake. Tunica was always a bargain at $3 max, now its a bargain at $4.

Easy E
01-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Gold Strike Poker rate (usually $20) and had to pay the full Tournament room rate of $45. Sigh - gonna have to tighten up and play better hands now.

Come out to the East Coast sometime and we'll talk about expensive poker room rates

Phat Mack
01-18-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BEST SHIRT:
Guy had a red athletic jersey and on the front it said, Lets Gamble.

Look on the back and it says,
Rose

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. Like it.

What was in the Riverpark museum?

BigFreakinFish
01-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Theres a bunch of cavemen sitting around playing poker. One of them tables a 5 high straight and says; "I've got the wheel".

Usually dead silence after the story, then a couple of the players laugh or smile. The other 7 do not laugh or smile - and THATS the funny part of the story.

Im totally stealing this story from you.

Boris
01-18-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
CAVEMEN PLAYING POKER:
Told this story every time a player showed a wheel straight in holdem around 4 - 6 am.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!

mosquito
01-19-2005, 01:56 AM
Yes, great line. Now to figure out how to use
the
"I've invented the zero!"
---"what?"
"Oh, nothing, nothing."
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

snakehead
01-19-2005, 04:03 AM
I always thought the punch line was, "I have a bicycle"

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

why is it that the older we get, the cornier the jokes?

Robk
01-19-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
RIVERPARK MUSEUM:
Add this to your "A" list of Tunica attractions. Very nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

just when i thought the list couldnt get any longer. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chipr777
01-20-2005, 03:25 AM
Was nice seeing you again and thanks for the chip!! I heard a good poker joke the other night. Here goes..
A man hears a voice inside his head that keeps telling him to play in a $10,000 event. He's hardly a winning 4-8 player so this is way over his head. The voice says, "Take the money out of the bank", so he goes to the bank and takes out the money, against his better judgement. The voice says, "Go buy in the tourney", so he throws down the $10,000 at the cage. At 12 noon sharp the next day the first cards are dealt and he's in first position. He looks down to see 2 black aces. The voice says, "go all in". He promptly says all in and is called in 4 spots. The flop is 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. The voice says.... F*&$

MicroBob
01-20-2005, 03:30 AM
I like that joke.