PDA

View Full Version : call or raise here (O8)

El Tigre
01-17-2005, 12:51 PM
if you pick up a hand like AAJ10ds in early position, is it a better idea to call or raise? I know that these high only hands play much better in a multi-way pot so I normally just limp-in. Am I incorrect in doing this, or is this a good strategy for high-hands.

Beavis68
01-17-2005, 01:15 PM
I believe a good strategy for high-only hands is to not get too much money in the pot until you see what the flop brings - call.

Yads
01-17-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe a good strategy for high-only hands is to not get too much money in the pot until you see what the flop brings - call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Matt Ruff
01-17-2005, 08:40 PM
I'd just call. If the flop misses me, I want to get away cheaply; if it hits, I want to get paid. Since I have half the aces, other players' low prospects are going to be worse than usual. By calling, I make it easier for the folks holding 23 and 24 to talk themselves into seeing the flop and contributing to what I hope will be a high-only pot.

-- M. Ruff

Buzz
01-17-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you pick up a hand like AAJ10ds in early position, is it a better idea to call or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

El Tigre - I think it depends on how many players behind you will call the double bet. If you fully expect five or more callers, then go ahead and raise. With four or fewer callers, I think you do better to limp.

An even better play in some games, as suggested by 2the9s, is to limp/re-raise when there are enough players (five or more) who will see the flop with you.

Five opponents is the cut-off for me in my games. More than five opponents, jamb. Less than five opponents, try to see the flop as cheaply as possible.

Just my opinion.

Buzz