PDA

View Full Version : AK all in preflop?

Whatchugondo
01-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Is it correct to call in a situation like this? 25NL Party 6 max (6 handed). I ($35ish) have AKo utg. Raise it to $3. CO reraises all in (about $16). I figure this is an easy fold because at best it's a coinflip to a lower pocket and at worst I'm a big underdog to AA or KK. Is a fold correct here or am I being an idiot giving up a chance to get AK all in preflop?

ericlambi
01-17-2005, 12:13 PM
You aren't giving up anything by folding. Taking out the cases where the CO is a maniac with KQ or even worse (in which case you should have that read and the call is easy), you are at best a coinflip and at worst dominated.

Chris Daddy Cool
01-17-2005, 12:37 PM
folding wouldn't be a huge mistake, but when he puts you all in, the money plus the blinds makes coinflips correct to call, but it would still be disasterous if you ran into AA or KK. if you're not interested in making it an all-in fest negating your postflop skills there's no problem in folding these types of "big" hands preflop and picking better spots.

however agaisnt some party players, i would easily call here as many of them are maniacs who will push Ax or KQs or whatever here. i recently sat in a game with a maniac taht was literally pushing any two cards, where folding something like ATo would have been a mistake.

BradleyT
01-17-2005, 02:15 PM
It's always better for you to raise all in rather than call an all in.

Do you understand why?

Whatchugondo
01-17-2005, 08:00 PM
yes I understand raising all in with AK is a fine play in some circumstances that's why I was questioning a call with AK since my opponent is already showing a strong hand that may have AK beat and they probably have nothing less than a pocket pair.