PDA

View Full Version : Can you watch the games without a bet?

Zoltri
01-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Lets be honest, this weeks championship games are a coin flip. For what its worth I like the Eagles and Steelers this weekend but I realize all 4 teams are very good and anything can happen so im leaning on NO BET for football this weekend.

Will I still watch the games?
Hell yes, but it will be tough with no bet on the line.
Can you skip betting this weekend or ANY big game(eg. SB)?

IggyWH
01-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Any true football fan knows that anything could happen so I refuse to bet on football. I've seen way too much crazy crap happen from high school to college to the NFL. Football's exciting enough that you shouldn't have to bet on it to enjoy it.

CCx
01-17-2005, 10:31 AM
I can watch the games without betting them, but when there's such easy money to be made (Eagles -8.5 last week), it's tough not to. I won't be touching the AFC game, but am all over the Eagles again this week at -4.5, and am prepared to listen to the haters rally against me until once again, they are proved wrong Sunday evening.

sammysusar
01-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Mike Vick has superhuman powers take the 4.5!

CCx
01-17-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mike Vick has superhuman powers take the 4.5!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope!

IggyWH
01-17-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can watch the games without betting them, but when there's such easy money to be made (Eagles -8.5 last week), it's tough not to. I won't be touching the AFC game, but am all over the Eagles again this week at -4.5, and am prepared to listen to the haters rally against me until once again, they are proved wrong Sunday evening.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, this is a perfect example of why I won't bet on football. I think the Eagles will win, but I've seen Mike Vick do some crazy stuff before.

Mike Vick is the only X-Factor in football. People love to use that term for everyone now, but he is the only one it applies to. With not knowing how such a huge factor is going to play, how could you make a "smart" bet?

CCx
01-17-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
See, this is a perfect example of why I won't bet on football. I think the Eagles will win, but I've seen Mike Vick do some crazy stuff before.

Mike Vick is the only X-Factor in football. People love to use that term for everyone now, but he is the only one it applies to. With not knowing how such a huge factor is going to play, how could you make a "smart" bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's only an X-Factor if you can't stop him. If you shut him down, as many good and not-so-good defenses this year have done, they have no chance. I'm confident enough in the Eagles defense, the freezing cold weather, the natural turf, etc. to take the Eagles this weekend. The Eagles enjoy putting up points, and running the football when you're down is not the way to win a football game. The Falcons have *NO* passing game, or at least not one that our Pro Bowl secondary can't pick apart (how's that Randy Moss doing again? just checking) - so I'm expecting at least a touchdown victory. Am I gonna put 5k on it like I did with the Vikes game? Absolutely not. Am I going to wager on the game? Sure, I already did, and will continue to throughout the week. People can wager on who they choose to, but just like last week when everyone was jocking the Vikings - you're putting your money on the wrong team. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

As for your game, I'm not going anywhere near that game with money - I'll be more than happy to enjoy watching that game, completely and totally without wagering.

tolbiny
01-17-2005, 11:34 AM
"and running the football when you're down is not the way to win a football game"

This is talking head bull dinky, an over exaggeration of rare situations when a team is down >3 scores in the 4th Quater (at which point they are unlikely to win no matter what they do). Running the ball effectively is a perfectly viable option for scoring points, panicking too early has doomed many coaches who have faced the Rams/Colts in the past.

CCx
01-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Well, that's the way it worked in Tecmo Bowl.... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

sammysusar
01-17-2005, 11:55 AM
im a big vick supporter but they say the way to stop him is to blitz like crazy. since i think this is the eagles speciality i'd probably take the eagles if i bet on it.

Zoltri
01-17-2005, 11:59 AM
Make Vick beat you with his arm not his feet.

tolbiny
01-17-2005, 12:00 PM
If mora is a good coach he will counter the blitzes with a heavy dose of Duckett early on. Duckett can pick up the blitz well, and can bust it up the gut for decent gains if they come from the outside. If they come inside Vick should be able to scramble all over them.

Rick Diesel
01-17-2005, 12:26 PM
I was all over the Eagles last week just like you were, and I will be all over them again this week.

As for the AFC game, the best possible thing happened in my opinion. The Steelers looked terrible, and the Patriots looked great. This leads to a ridiculous line of the Patriots -3. Apparently everyone in the world has forgotten about how good the Steelers looked in winning the last 14 games, and is just focusing on the past game.

That's fine with me, as there is no way the Patriots should be favored in this game. Steelers in the money line for me.

Rushmore
01-17-2005, 12:32 PM
I used to bet very heavily on sports until I did the math and realized that I was not inclined (nor, perhaps, able) to do all of the legwork necessary to be a successful sports bettor.

I therefore now have virtually no idea what teams are any good.

I can name the entire Cowboys starting lineup from 1977, but cannot tell you who's coaching the team now.

Are they still even a team?

fnord_too
01-17-2005, 01:36 PM
I never bet on sports anymore. It takes way too much effort to propperly handicap them, and I don't like getting my money in without an edge. I will watch games that interest me, but having a few hundred on the line isn't enough to intrest me if I am not already.

Sponger15SB
01-17-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh wow good idea! nobody has thought of that...you should be an NFL coach /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

offTopic
01-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Hell yeah...that's the only time I don't lose money on them! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tron
01-17-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mike Vick is the only X-Factor in football.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else remember when Dante Hall used to be THE X-Factor? Yeah, me too. Then everyone stopped kicking to him. That made me sad. Oh Chiefs, you never fail to disappoint.

drewjustdrew
01-17-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh wow good idea! nobody has thought of that...you should be an NFL coach /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem is, only the Buccaneers have ever tried implementing that plan. Successfully too. Too much ego in the NFL coaches to change their styles for a player.