PDA

View Full Version : Flopped quads, how did I play this?

David04
01-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Okay, this was a home tournament, 15 people or so. It's heads up. Blinds are 50/100, I have around 2000 or so, my opponent probably has around 4000 or 5000. Villain is not very good. Loose, aggressive preflop, passive postflop.

I pick up 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the button, make it 300 to go. Villain calls. Flop is 5/images/graemlins/club.gif5/images/graemlins/spade.gifK/images/graemlins/club.gif, with 2 clubs. Villain checks, I check.

Turn is an Ace/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Villain checks, I bet 300. Villain calls.

River is the 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Villain checks, I bet 300, he raises me to 500, I push for about 1200 more.

After about 5 minutes of thinking he folds.

How did I play this hand?

otnemem
01-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Are you typically very aggressive? Do you often bet when checked to you on the button? I think these are things to take into consideration. If you are an aggressive player, then your bet might look like a standard play. You can hope he either got a piece of the flop, or he'll try to bluff, hoping you're on a bluff. If you're overly tight, I wouldn't bet here. I'd check behind and hope to get him to bet the turn or the river. If he bets the turn, I call, hoping for a bet on the river. Then on the river, I raise. If he slows down at the river, I try to put in a small enough bet that he'll think I'm trying to steal it, or I think he'll call with a king or an ace. The other thing to take into consideration is how the Villain plays. If he's a poor player, and he wouldn't pick up on a change in your game's pace, I'd check behind, hoping to induce a bet on the turn or the river.

David04
01-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Well I play aggressively, and he knows that I will try to bluff occasionally. I almost bet the flop, but I figured a free card could really only help me. I felt that if I played it correctly, I could double up.

Later he told me that the only reason he folded was because if he called and I doubled up, that he wouldn't have gotten as good of a deal(we had talked before the hand about making a deal, he would get $35 and I would get $20. He thought that if the stacks were more even, I would ask for more money)