PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions on Backgammon for Pzhon:

Baulucky
01-17-2005, 08:02 AM
1-What's the reccomended size of a BR for a cash game player?. I guess this is skill dependent, but more related to the frequency of doubles and re-doubles. A guideline, according to your experience will suffice.

2-Would you rate the sites you would/ have played at, in order of personal preference?.

I was trying to locate an older thread, but could not find it, either here or in the archives.

Thanks in advance.

pzhon
01-17-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1-What's the reccomended size of a BR for a cash game player?.

[/ QUOTE ]
You hope to have as large of an advantage as possible, but generally you should have a bankroll of 100 points when your advantage is about 0.1 points per game. The variance is about 10 square points per game. The Kelly Criterion says to play so that your bankroll is about variance/edge.

If your opponent is passive with the cube, you don't need as large of a bankroll. If your opponent is aggressive with the cube, you may need more than 100 points.

For a chouette, you need a much larger bankroll to handle the times you are in the box, perhaps sqrt(n)*100 with n+1 players in the chouette. It depends greatly on your playing style while in the box and as captain. You can try to dodge the box (e.g., as captain, you can lean toward doubling the box in rather than out and risking the win to go for the gammon) to decrease your variance, and the -EV situations that come from playing against a strong field.

[ QUOTE ]
2-Would you rate the sites you would/ have played at, in order of personal preference?.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like GamesGrid best. I also enjoy playing on a few other servers, not all of which support money play.

Baulucky
01-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Cheers. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif