PDA

View Full Version : Overpair early on

TylerD
01-17-2005, 07:46 AM
I don't have the hand history available so I'm going from memory.

$30 on PokerRoom. Blinds are 15/30. EP limper (~1500) and I (~1700) raise to 100 in MP, LP caller (~1900), SB calls, BB calls, limper calls. Hmmmm. My thoughts at this stage were that I was going to dump this unless I hit a Jack or a particularly unscary board.

Flop ~ T 4 5r

Check, check, check. Quite unscary so I bet 500, LP caller, everyone else folds. Turn is a blank (2 or 3 perhaps). I bet 500 and get c/r all-in.

Thoughts?

The once and future king
01-17-2005, 10:18 AM
You didnt post your hand.

TylerD
01-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Wondered why I didn't have any replies! I have JJ, too late to edit.

TylerD
01-17-2005, 04:38 PM
No thoughts on this?

bigredlemon
01-17-2005, 04:46 PM
You have t400 left. I don't see how you can walk away from a t3500 pot with your hand.

PrayingMantis
01-17-2005, 04:47 PM
I'd raise more PF, if I'm going to raise with JJ here. There's already a limper in. On the flop I think you can achieve pretty much the same thing with betting significantly less than the pot, which is about 1/3 your stack or so, especially with this flop texture. On the turn it looks you're probably behind: too many players took this hand PF, pretty reasonable there's a big hit here with this action since you have pretty much represented a big pair, PF and on the flop. But it depends on your read of course, if you have one, and the images in play.

I think the main issue here is the bet sizes.

Sam T.
01-17-2005, 05:00 PM
I agree that your PF raise might have been bigger. As you note, it's not a hand you want many callers with, and a bigger bet will help you define your opponents' hands. (And if you just end up with the blinds and the limper's t30, so be it.) A bigger raise would also lead to a smaller pot, which would make life easier post-flop.

Pot bet is a bit large, I think, and the call makes me nervous. I know there are players who don't mind making absurd calls with overcards, but with no draws on the board it it seems like really bad news - I'm going with set or AA.

Are you getting check-raised all-in? Or raised all-in? (Not that it matters.)

Tough decision in any case. I think you're probably behind here, but others have pointed out that at this juncture you've pretty much committed yourself to the pot. He also may read your turn bet as weak (you're putting in over 50% of your stack but not pushing), and put on overcards you'll fold.

PrayingMantis
01-17-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have t400 left.

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks to me he has 600 left, but of course, the sizes of the bets are problematic (pretty much on all streets, IMO), if you consider stacks' and pot's size.

TylerD
01-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Yeah I hated the way I played it. As you say I should have raised more preflop (not much more though) and bet less on the flop. When he called the flop I should have been done with. But I thought there was a chance he had AT, so I bet the turn. He raised all-in and I felt compelled to call. Sure enough he turned over 55 and MHING.