PDA

View Full Version : was he right to call my bets

euri10
01-17-2005, 07:13 AM
I wonder 2 things,
1) should I have raised this pot preflop with my hand
2) has UTG+1 the odds to chase me to the river ?
3) would u have played this differently
I'm quite new to PLO btw /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PokerStars Game #1077843074: Omaha Pot Limit ($0.10/$0.25) - 2005/01/14 - 16:13:13 (ET)
Table 'Timandra' Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: UTG+1 ($26.25 in chips)
Seat 2: MP1 ($57.35 in chips)
Seat 4: Hero ($49.80 in chips)
Seat 5: CO ($30 in chips)
Seat 6: Button ($27.60 in chips)
Seat 7: SB ($24.25 in chips)
Seat 8: BB ($25 in chips)
Seat 9: UTG ($30.75 in chips)
SB: posts small blind $0.10
BB: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif]
UTG: calls $0.25
UTG+1: calls $0.25
MP1: calls $0.25
Hero: calls $0.25
CO: folds
Button: calls $0.25
SB: calls $0.15
BB: raises $0.25 to $0.50
UTG: calls $0.25
UTG+1: calls $0.25
MP1: calls $0.25
Hero: calls $0.25
Button: calls $0.25
SB: calls $0.25
*** FLOP *** [T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif]
SB: checks
BB: checks
UTG: checks
UTG+1: checks
MP1: checks
Hero: bets $3.35
Button: calls $3.35
SB: folds
BB: folds
UTG: folds
UTG+1: calls $3.35
MP1: folds
*** TURN *** [T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ] [A/images/graemlins/club.gif]
Hero: bets $12.90
Button: folds
UTG+1: calls $12.90
*** RIVER *** [T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif] [K/images/graemlins/heart.gif]
Hero: checks
*** SHOW DOWN ***
UTG+1: shows [J/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
Hero: mucks hand
UTG+1 collected $37.45 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $39.35 | Rake $1.90
Board [Tc 2h 9d Ac Kh]
Seat 1: UTG+1 showed [Jh 4c 7h Qc] and won ($37.45) with a straight, Ten to Ace
Seat 2: MP1 folded on the Flop
Seat 4: Hero mucked [Ts Th Jd Ah]
Seat 5: CO folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Button (button) folded on the Turn
Seat 7: SB (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 8: BB (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 9: UTG folded on the Flop

BlueBear
01-17-2005, 08:20 AM
Yes, i believe he had sufficient odds to call on both the flop (high implied odds) and on the turn to call you. Your PF play is OK but there is no harm in occasionally mixing up with a pot-sized raise.

nuclear500
01-17-2005, 10:25 AM
I don't think he had odds, should he have continued to call? I wouldn't have, but it looks like he was desparate calling off half his stack on 16 outs.

A weak player who caught, just note it and keep playing.

GimmeDaWatch
01-17-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he had odds, should he have continued to call? I wouldn't have, but it looks like he was desparate calling off half his stack on 16 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why dont you think he had odds? Normally, the odds offered on the flop wouldnt be very good w/just an OESD but he also has the benefit of another caller (giving him 3:1 instead of 2:1) + implied odds and a backdoor flush draw. On the turn, he's picked up a flush draw (which is probably good) so he's got 15 outs. 29 other unseen cards:15 outs makes him just slightly better than the 2:1 he's getting, plus he should have shoved the rest of his stack in on the river which you would have quite possibly paid off considering the amount relative to the pot. Him checking the river is truly terrible. You didnt do anything wrong after the flop, its just a made hands vs drawing hand matchup and somebody's gotta lose.

svenski
01-17-2005, 03:17 PM
You played it good. I like the check on the river. Even though that would be standard play a lot of people become greedy here. Sometimes a preflopp raise is good at a tight table if you think you can get the button. As for the caller I think it is a very marginal call if even correct. The arguments about high implied odds i dont agree with. This is a typical example that the implied odds are not big at all when playing from an early position, specially heads up. What is he to do on the river. Unless the opp is very weak or has a same/better hand he folds for a pot bet or checks behind.

gergery
01-17-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why dont you think he had odds? Normally, the odds offered on the flop wouldnt be very good w/just an OESD but he also has the benefit of another caller (giving him 3:1 instead of 2:1) + implied odds and a backdoor flush draw. On the turn, he's picked up a flush draw (which is probably good) so he's got 15 outs. 29 other unseen cards:15 outs makes him just slightly better than the 2:1 he's getting, plus he should have shoved the rest of his stack in on the river which you would have quite possibly paid off considering the amount relative to the pot. Him checking the river is truly terrible. You didnt do anything wrong after the flop, its just a made hands vs drawing hand matchup and somebody's gotta lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Your opponent had almost enough pure pot odds to call on the flop, with 2 opponents it was certainly reasonable to expect he’d get some add’l $. On the turn, he had enough pot odds by themselves with actual cards, never mind implied odds.

But his play was a tad risky since hitting his hand is obvious to you and might not get paid off, and you could easily have a better flush.

GimmeDaWatch
01-17-2005, 10:44 PM
The arguments about high implied odds i dont agree with. This is a typical example that the implied odds are not big at all when playing from an early position, specially heads up. What is he to do on the river.

He is to move in on the river. The pot odds are such that he is very likely to be called.

svenski
01-18-2005, 12:41 AM
Fair enough, I didnt see that utg+1 only had $9 left on the river. However a $9 dollar call on the river still doesnt count as high implied odds.

euri10
01-18-2005, 04:12 AM
correct me if I'm wrong,
the fact that on the flop there is a third caller (who in fact acts before UTG+1) plus the club on the turn gives UTG+1 the proper odds to call on the turn.
if the same cards falls on the turn but on the flop there were no additionnal caller he wouldn't have had the odds to chase me.

what twodimes says !
Result
http://twodimes.net/h/?z=716914
pokenum -o ts th jd ah - jh 4c 7h qc -- tc 2h 9d ac
Omaha Hi: 40 enumerated boards containing Ac Tc 9d 2h
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Ts Jd Ah Th 27 67.50 13 32.50 0 0.00 0.675
Qc 4c Jh 7h 13 32.50 27 67.50 0 0.00 0.325