PDA

View Full Version : decision with a pretty good hand.

soko
01-17-2005, 03:45 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney $5+1, Big Blind is t30 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t620)
SB (t630)
Hero (t2355)
UTG (t1645)
MP (t1010)
CO (t1740)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls t30, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, UTG calls t70, SB calls t70.

Flop: (t300) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks.

Turn: (t300) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB All-in, Hero...,

I had to think for a long time here, SB was BSing here no question, I had no doubt he either had a Queen or was on a bluff. UTG is a smart player so I only had to worry about him calling if he beat me, what do I do here? (I had tripled up on the first hand with 3-way all in when I had KK, so I am a significant chiplead)

DemonDeac
01-17-2005, 03:53 AM
got chips to call it looks like. looks like a flush draw and a queen with worse kicker

curtains
01-17-2005, 06:57 AM
The most important part of this hand by FAR is your preflop play. Your raise was a mistake. You need to ask yourself "Why am I raising". With a hand like KQo out of position, you shouldn't be trying to build a pot with your raise, but instead should be trying to make your opponents fold. Once they have put in 30 chips, you shouldn't expect them to fold for just 70 more. I would raise to at least 150-200 here if I planned to raise. (And please note that I would NOT raise here.)
I beleive you should simply check preflop and see what happens. On the turn you should call, because the chances of having the best hand are simply too great, and you aren't hurt much if you lose. If your opponent had a 9 they would likely not move allin, as both of you have shown no strength whatsoever and they couldn't reasonably expect a call.

TylerD
01-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Your getting 3:2 on your money, considering your stack size and read on the player it seems like an easy call. There is no reason to raise this preflop, when you are out-of-position with small blinds.

soko
01-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Well thanks for all your PF comments, although it's just my style of play (I dont always raise here). Anyways, I called and UTG raised all-in, I folded and he turned over the 9s, Sb only had a pocket pair of 2s, just handed away 500 chips, which is why I was wondering if I had to call.

J-Lo
01-17-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well thanks for all your PF comments, although it's just my style of play (I dont always raise here). Anyways, I called and UTG raised all-in, I folded and he turned over the 9s, Sb only had a pocket pair of 2s, just handed away 500 chips, which is why I was wondering if I had to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

even if this is your "style"--- raise more! make a real raise or dont' raise at all.... better than raising barely 3x BB

Skip Brutale
01-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Well that all came from your pre-flop play. Raising enough to keep people in and build a big pot so you could get screwed if you make top pair. That is why this happened. That is just your pre-flop style? It's crappy is what it is.

microbet
01-17-2005, 09:55 PM
I don't think raising more is better than your raise. Maybe, maybe not. Far better, imho, like the others said, is to NOT raise w/KQ this early.

After the flop your read of the guy with the 22 was right on, so that's good and so your call is good.

You should have had to worry more about AQ from the other player if he really is a smart player. I don't think he was smart to call the PF raise with a 9 in his hand unless maybe he had 2 of them.