PDA

View Full Version : My experience in the $50,000 party freeroll

ggbman
01-17-2005, 03:06 AM
I remember why multi-table tournaments are so painful now. Party sponsored a $50,000 freeroll for their top raked players, and i figured i would give it a go. I got a lot of cards early, AA several times, KK, QQ a few times, Jacks, and i was hitting a lot of sets. I was chip leader for a good hour and a half of the tourney, which was pretty cool. There were 1716 entrants, and things were getting interesting by the time we got down to the final 100. Everyone was getting a small payday at this point. I have t27,000 which is a bit abover average. I limped for 1500 with JdTd in the cutoff. The button limped and the BB checked. The flop was 8 9 3 giving me the open ender with 2 overs. BB checks, i led out for 3750, button min raised and i put him in for his last 8,000. He thought for a long time a called with 22. A two came on the turn and i got no help on the river. I hate the way he played that hand. However i quickly doubled by up with aces and ran my stack up to about t47000. I limped UTG with Ac Tc and a loose played made it 5,000 to go in the CO. The BB called and was all in, and i called as well. Flop was 889. It went check check. Turn was a ten, and i bet half the pot. The cutoff called and the river was the hideous 7 of spaeds. I checked, he bet 5,000 and i called. He had AJ for the rivered straight. I think the turn bet should have pushed him off that. However a few hands later i call his min raise from the SB with KQ. Flop was KQT, and i took it down uncontested and was back to around t40,000. I missed a few flops,then i found AT suited again on the button, and the short stacked cutoff pushed for about 9,700. I re-raised all on to see his Q 10. Flop was A T x, but he made a flush but his queen of hearts. That brought me down to 20,000 and left me in bad shape. An orbit later, UTG (guy who rivered the straight) opened for 7500. I pushed and he called with AQ. Board came KxxxQ. Horrible way to lose on the river. I really don't know how you multi-tablers do it. I was happy to win $170 for 50th in the freeroll, but i felt so unsatisfied knowing if the cards had fallen a little differently i could have made the final table and a big score. I imagine it feels that way for everyone except one person. The variance is brutal in these things. Just wanted to post my experience here.