PDA

View Full Version : Coolest Suicides

Skip Brutale
01-17-2005, 02:43 AM
This isn't theoretical but the coolest suicides people have done. The only cool ones I can think of are Buddhist monks setting themselves ablaze durring Vietnam and musician Elliot Smith stabbing himself in the heart 4 times which is extra cool because his music was so sissy.

I just remembered a Japanese author who's name I can't remember commiting sepukku as a message against Japan's change to the western ways, etc.

Who else has cool suicides?

realwtf
01-17-2005, 02:50 AM
The woman who jumped off the Hollywood sign. Bud Dwyer..Hey Man Nice Shot.

Skip Brutale
01-17-2005, 02:52 AM
That is pretty original to jump off the Hollywood sign. You really have to go out of your way to do that, so I'm guessing it was some kind of a message about the hypocrisy and lies of the town.

Who is Bud Dwyer?

realwtf
01-17-2005, 02:55 AM
Bud Dwyer was a government official in Pennsylvania. He shot himself during a press conference in front of a bunch of TV cameras. Do a search on google you can find the video of it.

Forget to add. He was convicted of Embezzelment i think. He proclaimed his innocence. Some people say he was set up. video is eerie. He hands out some envelopes to this guy to give to some people..then pulls out the gun and does it.

ilya
01-17-2005, 03:01 AM
There was a Russian rock singer who killed himself by grabbing two scalpels and slamming his head down on them, eyes first.

Zeno
01-17-2005, 03:08 AM
Hemingway blew off his head with a shotgun.

Hitler shot himself through the mouth. Himmler took potassium cyanide.

Socrates turned down an escape plan that almost assuredly would have worked and chose to drink the hemlock, a sort of quasi-suicide.

-Zeno

Justin A
01-17-2005, 03:14 AM
Didn't some guy jump to his death in the inside of the Luxor?

I don't think this has ever happened, but it would be cool: You tie some nylon string around your neck, glue your hands to the side of your head and jump off a bridge. If it works right you'll be found with your head in your hands.

Justin A

brassnuts
01-17-2005, 03:14 AM
My upcoming one. Haven't decided on how to do it yet.

Edge34
01-17-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There was a Russian rock singer who killed himself by grabbing two scalpels and slamming his head down on them, eyes first.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite possibly one of the most disturbing ways of killing oneself I can think of, especially since it probably wouldn't be instant like eating your gun. This thread is over right here.

nothumb
01-17-2005, 03:15 AM
A Korean farmer climbed on top of a barricade/fence at an anti-WTO demonstration in Mexico and committed hari kiri... that was wild...

Also, about Elliot Smith, I remember hearing that there was some speculation after this was investigated that he might have been killed... it was from people who had access to the crime scene and evidence... don't remember what happened with that.

NT

jstnrgrs
01-17-2005, 03:16 AM
I haven't read any responces yet, but I just want to say:

SUICIDES ARE NOT COOL

Skip Brutale
01-17-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Socrates turned down an escape plan that almost assuredly would have worked and chose to drink the hemlock, a sort of quasi-suicide.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Zeno but those were all lame. Shooting yourself in the head? EVERYONE does that. Taking poison, blah.

But what is this about Socrates? He was imprisoned? Do tell.

Skip Brutale
01-17-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A Korean farmer climbed on top of a barricade/fence at an anti-WTO demonstration in Mexico and committed hari kiri... that was wild...

Also, about Elliot Smith, I remember hearing that there was some speculation after this was investigated that he might have been killed... it was from people who had access to the crime scene and evidence... don't remember what happened with that.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Elliot Smith was murdered? Time to head to google!

eric5148
01-17-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My upcoming one. Haven't decided on how to do it yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way, mine will be much cooler. I don't know how it'll go down, but I'm guessing it'll be triggered by a flopped set of aces losing to a runner runner flush.

Maybe I could recreate the cover of HPFAP.

ilya
01-17-2005, 03:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Zeno but those were all lame. Shooting yourself in the head? EVERYONE does that. Taking poison, blah.

But what is this about Socrates? He was imprisoned? Do tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Socrates had powerful enemies in Athens, and they got him charged with "corrupting the youth." He represented himself during the trial; the Apology is a reconstruction of the speeches he is supposed to have made on his own behalf. Well, we all know how well self-representation works....and it was no different in this case. Socrates was convicted and sentenced to death. He had many visitors in prison, and some of his students tried to talk him into an escape plan they had devised. But he refused on philosophical grounds.
The death scene is immortalized in a famous painting by the French neo-Classicist J-L David, called, appropriately enough, "The Death of Socrates." You'll probably recognize it once you see it:

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/D/david/socrates.jpg.html

'Crates is pretty ripped for an old dude.

turnipmonster
01-17-2005, 03:37 AM
I agree, I've lost 2 friends in the past year, both of them committed suicide. very sad.

Skip Brutale
01-17-2005, 03:39 AM
If Socrates was so smart, why did he think it was a good idea to represent himself in court?

Daliman
01-17-2005, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bud Dwyer was a government official in Pennsylvania. He shot himself during a press conference in front of a bunch of TV cameras. Do a search on google you can find the video of it.

Forget to add. He was convicted of Embezzelment i think. He proclaimed his innocence. Some people say he was set up. video is eerie. He hands out some envelopes to this guy to give to some people..then pulls out the gun and does it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The amount and rate of blood that runs from his nose after the shot is simply amazing. Like a turned on full blast for like 90 seconds straight.

ilya
01-17-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If Socrates was so smart, why did he think it was a good idea to represent himself in court?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, for one, I'm not sure it was at all uncommon in Athens at the time.
Procedure may have played a smaller role, making formal training less important.
He was a professional debater, for chrissakes.
He may have cared more about articulating his arguments than about the outcome.
He may have believed he was morally responsible for defending himself.

Basically, who knows.

pshreck
01-17-2005, 03:48 AM
Hope this doesn't sound sick, but can anyone think of other one's where there is photographic/video imagery of the suicide?

I was strangely fascinated by the video and pics on this website:
http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/POLITICS/FOSTER_COVERUP/SUICIDE/suicide.html

WARNING: Highly graphic pictures are on the screen if you just scroll down on that page a bit. Of course view the video on your own discretion.

ilya
01-17-2005, 03:49 AM
I agree, however I think by "cool" the OP just meant "gruesome" or "weird." Not "good."

IronDragon1
01-17-2005, 06:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I just remembered a Japanese author who's name I can't remember commiting sepukku as a message against Japan's change to the western ways, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yukio Mishima, author of The Sea of Fertility tetraology, Confessions of a Mask, The Temple of the Golden Pavillion

The once and future king
01-17-2005, 07:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive wanted to do this in University exams, but with pens.

Duke
01-17-2005, 07:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You tie some nylon string around your neck, glue your hands to the side of your head and jump off a bridge. If it works right you'll be found with your head in your hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is awesome.

I'm trying to come up with a way to get my head in my ass.

~D

MelK
01-17-2005, 08:40 AM
A woman killed herself by jumping into a pit full of crocodiles in front of scores of horrified tourists. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/2186323.stm)

One could also invade a pride of lions an attack them with a stick.

One could buy a large constrictor type snake as a pet, starve it, and sleep in the same room with it.

I've always thought suicide by animal would be cool.

ArchAngel71857
01-17-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You tie some nylon string around your neck, glue your hands to the side of your head and jump off a bridge. If it works right you'll be found with your head in your hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is awesome.

I'm trying to come up with a way to get my head in my ass.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Just keep talking!

PWNED!!!!!!!!!!!

<font color="white"> I kid, I kid. </font>

-AA

Shajen
01-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Suicide isn't cool at all, it's weak.

As far as weakest form of suicide, lately in Atlanta there's been a trend occuring among the suicidal:

Jumping off bridges onto major roadways.

There was a jumper about 4 months ago, who jumped off an overpass into the path of a Semi on 400SB. It happened around 3:30am, and when I got on 400 at 6:30 it was backed up almost to my exit. I got to work (around a 35 minute drive most mornings) at 11:00am. Sucked bad.

I guess the jumpers thinking is they will get their 15 minutes of fame. I'd rather they not kill themselves, but if they must, just eat a bullet in your own home, huh?

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-18-2005, 10:35 PM
a Japanese author who's name I can't remember

Yukio Mishima. He committed traditional seppuku but was unable to complete all three cuts, so his second beheaded him. His second was charged with "killing on request" which at the time carried a 10 year sentence in Japan.

Vince Young
01-18-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's on Faces of Death I think...creepy ass video.

Tyler Durden
01-18-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's on Faces of Death I think...creepy ass video.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was Hey Man Nice Shot by Filter?

lucas9000
01-19-2005, 02:20 AM
the lead-singer of the scandanavian black metal band mayhem (he went by the name "dead") cut himself up and then blew his head off with a shotgun. this is only made unusual by the fact that his bandmates were the first to find him, and some of them ate part of his brains and made jewelry out of pieces of his skull. oh, and they took pictures of the scene, which were later used as the cover of a mayhem bootleg.

the whole scandanavian black metal scene is fascinating. if you find the out-of-print book "lords of chaos," pick it up. it's all about that scene, how it developed, etc. pretty amazing stuff.

M2d
01-19-2005, 04:16 AM
Yoshitsune and Benkei (not technically a suicide, but, effectively, it was one) died with honor (http://www.artelino.com/articles/benkei.asp)