PDA

View Full Version : Sportmanship

ThaSaltCracka
01-17-2005, 12:44 AM
As I watched the Sonics defeat the Cavs tonight I noticed something, after all NBA games the players and coached mingle on the court and give each other dats, high fives, props, say hello, whatever. They also do this in football. But they don't do this in baseball? what gives? Tradition? I think they need to do this, I mean little kids in little league do this for crist sake.

also, how did I miss the latest fight in the NBA? Damn, always a good time, especially since both teams are depleted somewhat for upcoming games against my sonics.

Edge34
01-17-2005, 12:48 AM
Kandi Man and Nene doesn't exactly qualify as primetime viewing. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hell, I even turned the game off before that happened, and I'm a big T-Wolves fan. We don't need Kandi too much anyways, since the only useful thing he does is take up space. Hehe, boy were we wrong when we thought we were getting a real playmaker from the Clips.

ThaSaltCracka
01-17-2005, 01:23 AM
he is worthless.

plaster8
01-17-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But they don't do this in baseball? what gives? Tradition? I think they need to do this, I mean little kids in little league do this for crist sake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think part of the reason may be that baseball is the only sport (unless I'm forgetting something -- and playoffs don't count) where you're playing the same team three or four times in a row.

That said, I think it would be a fine idea to do what you're talking about after the end of each series. Kind of like the NHL playoffs -- I think it's just cool how they line up to shake hands after beating the crap out of each other for a whole series.

ThaSaltCracka
01-17-2005, 02:53 AM
hmmm.... after the end of the series, that would be a good idea.

Justin A
01-17-2005, 03:10 AM
This is how it's done at the college level. Most teams at least.

I think not doing it at the pro level is tradition. It would have been really wussy to do it back in the late 18 and early 1900's.

Justin A

Clarkmeister
01-17-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

This is how it's done at the college level. Most teams at least.

I think not doing it at the pro level is tradition. It would have been really wussy to do it back in the late 18 and early 1900's.

Justin A

[/ QUOTE ]

The Cards and Dodgers did it after the NLDS last year. Of course all the retired veteran players[1] said it was terrible and why would you want to shake the hands of a guy who just beat you. Sad.

[1] Ok, not all, but a lot that i heard on the radio. Dibble in particular was vocal against the idea.

Randy_Refeld
01-17-2005, 07:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But they don't do this in baseball? what gives? Tradition?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a specific rule in baseball prohibiting fraternizing on the field.

RR

plaster8
01-17-2005, 07:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a specific rule in baseball prohibiting fraternizing on the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but it's violated all the time. Just show up early and watch BP.

CCx
01-17-2005, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dibble in particular was vocal against the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dibble's also a complete nutjob, if that lends any perspective to the comments.

I think at the end of the series is the best time to shake hands - they make you do it in Little League, why not continue with the good show of sportsmanship all the way up to the majors. The only time I can see it maybe being iffy is if there was a bad brawl in the last game of the series and lining people up to shake hands will only cause more problems. Or if there's not enough juice boxes and chips for one team back in the dugout after the handshakes, it could get messy then too....

GuyOnTilt
01-17-2005, 09:03 AM
I think they need to do this, I mean little kids in little league do this for crist sake.

This isn't really a good reason to do anything. Should their moms take turns handing out snacks after the games? I mean, little kids in Little League do this for Christ sake.

Just giving you a hard time of course, but really, I don't see how it's unsportsmanlike for professional baseball players NOT to do this. It's not just a fun recreational game for them; it's earning a living. Should opposing teams of attorneys have to meet at the bench after the verdict to smile and shake hands and congratulate each other? Should I have to say "nice hand" or "congratulations" every time I lose a pot at showdown? It's fine if some sports choose to do this out of tradition or if opponents choose to do this of their own accord for whatever reason, but it shouldn't be a requirement of every competitive activity.

GoT

Zoltri
01-17-2005, 09:29 AM
Sportmanship?
There is no such thing in pro sports.

I hate it when these athletes will do one of the following:

-talk trash to the fans sitting on the sidelines
-try to intentionally hurt another player
-not give 100%
-go into the stands and beat up the fans
-rape and/or beat up their wifes/girlfreinds
-etc...

Athletes do all that crap and then during a post game interview, what is the first thing they say?

"I would like to thank the Lord Jesus Christ"
Makes me sick.

The Armchair
01-17-2005, 10:15 AM
The reason is entirely practical. Football and basketball players often go down the same path to get from court to locker room. Baseball players do not. Sportsmanship isn't the issue, really, because baseball players are not "forced" to interact due to the placement of the locker room like other sports' players are.

ThaSaltCracka
01-17-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how it's unsportsmanlike for professional baseball players NOT to do this

[/ QUOTE ] That a valid point, but I think it just helps to reinforce to young kids and to fans that what they are watching is just a sporting event and not a "battle" or "war". I suppose this won't happen, but wtf, why not?

ThaSaltCracka
01-17-2005, 11:46 AM
But the team that wins always meets at the center of the diamond to congratulate each other. Footballs players meet in the center of the field, and basketball players meet in the center of the court.

Justin A
01-17-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That a valid point, but I think it just helps to reinforce to young kids and to fans that what they are watching is just a sporting event and not a "battle" or "war". I suppose this won't happen, but wtf, why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

It should also be noted that in baseball the teams are very friendly for the three or four hours before the game starts that they are preparing. Baseball players take ridiculously long batting practice before every game, and it's common for players on opposing teams to chat with each other.

Justin A

ThaSaltCracka
01-17-2005, 04:06 PM
yeah, but they do this in all the sports.