PDA

View Full Version : the Pro's Choice

oreogod
01-17-2005, 12:21 AM
Guess there is no real answer to this question, but on a nightly basis, do u think the pros hit the Limit or NL tables. This is just a question of curoiosity and i figured here was the best place to post it.

Figure most NL would be tourney, but maybe the big game is no limit over at the Bellagio.

Anyway thanks.

stinkypete
01-17-2005, 01:28 AM
the big game at the bellagio is both limit and no-limit, though the no-limit usually has a $100,000 cap.

ClaytonN
01-17-2005, 01:37 AM
The big game is limit and NL

limit is comprised of 4k-8k blinds of games including Hold Em, 7 stud, 7 stud hilo, omaha hilo, and triple draw.

the NL and PL games have the same limits with a 100k cap (meaning you can only lose 100k on a given hand) on games like NLHE, PLO, and NL 2/7 lowball.

beyond Bellagio, the biggest games are typically limit HE or 7stud

JoeC
01-17-2005, 04:22 AM
Wait, so 4k-8k blinds with a 100k cap? That seems like it would just be an all-in fest before the flop...one reraise puts you at the cap.

etizzle
01-17-2005, 04:24 AM
4k-8k is the big limit game.

100k max buyin is the big NL game, from what I understand.

Rekwob
01-17-2005, 11:54 AM
the NL is 1k/2k blinds with 1k ante and 100k cap

SDA004
01-17-2005, 02:03 PM
I tend to think the majority of professional poker players play limit poker. Its more structured, and you can probably be pretty certain as to how much money you're going to make in a week. NL you could probably hit some pretty rough patches where you lost a lot of money and the like. I think Limit probably provides a more stable living for the majority of professional poker players.

TStoneMBD
01-17-2005, 02:22 PM
you mean pros like myself? you can find me at the 2/4 tables and the occassional 1/2nl game when my bankroll is up.

Enecoman
01-17-2005, 03:15 PM
If you read Danial Negraneau's Poker Journal he talks about a large group of pros that play at the Bellagio - typically 1500/3000 limit, Stud, and some Omaha HL.

FeliciaLee
01-17-2005, 05:29 PM
I'm not a pro in the sense of the word that I use my winnings to pay bills. I do, however, play full-time and do not work "another" job.

As a much lower limit player than most listed above, I figured I'd just throw in my 2 cents.

I look for good games. I prefer Stud, but it just doesn't always work out. For instance, a couple of months ago when I was in Vegas, the 40/80 Stud was no good. So I played the 20/40, which was better. I was running bad, though, and the table was able to take advantage of that, so I started scoping out the 2/5 blind NLHE table. It was a must-move, but to only one other game. I'm not fond of 4 must-moves, lol.

So I put my name of that list, and when it came up, I moved over. Much better game, lots of action, many new players.

I tend to go for good games. I am always going to prefer Stud games (Stud, Stud 8, Razz) over flop games or draw games, but that is just personal preference. Since I don't get the opportunity to play Stud games often, I tend to endulge myself a little when I'm in a place where they are available, instead of always going for the "best" games.

In general, however, I think that players in the 20/40 to 50/100 range tend to just go for the best games.

I remember someone telling me a story about Ted Forrest once. That the bigger games at Bellagio weren't any good, so Ted went down to 80/160. Everyone thought it was a big joke, and kept asking him about it, but he insisted it was simply because the game was better.

Having played against Ted in a few tourneys, I'd say this could be a true story. He doesn't seem like the type who would be "too proud" to move way, way down in limits just to find a better game.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif