PDA

View Full Version : Did you Like Napolean Dynamite?

admo415
01-17-2005, 12:20 AM

admo415
01-17-2005, 12:33 AM
I think it is a love it or hate it movie

deacsoft
01-17-2005, 01:14 AM
You forgot the "I haven't seen it yet" option in your poll. It's one I've heard all about and think I'll enjoy. It's on my list of "things to do" right now.

admo415
01-17-2005, 01:23 AM
True, I hope you enjoy it, I for one love it

deacsoft
01-17-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
True, I hope you enjoy it, I for one love it

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks... I just might.

Vince Young
01-17-2005, 02:15 AM
It's in the top 5 worst movies ever, as well as unfunny comedies ever.

Nagoo81
01-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Vince - If you don't mind me asking, may I ask what are your top 5 funniest movies? Just so we see where you're coming from.

David04
01-17-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's in the top 5 worst movies ever

[/ QUOTE ]
Like anyone could ever know that.

Michael Emery
01-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Napolean Dynamite was pretty terrible. If its on anyone else's "things to see" list I would advise choosing another movie. Vince didnt reply yet with his list of the top 5 comedies. Here is how everyone should see it:

1.) Roadtrip
2.) Kingpin
3.) Anger Management
4.) Caddyshack
5.) All 3 of the American Pie's

Mike Emery

admo415
01-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Your just jeolous that I have been chatting to babes online all day

beernutz
01-17-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Napolean Dynamite was pretty terrible. If its on anyone else's "things to see" list I would advise choosing another movie. Vince didnt reply yet with his list of the top 5 comedies. Here is how everyone should see it:

1.) Roadtrip
2.) Kingpin
3.) Anger Management
4.) Caddyshack

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

These are your top 5 lame comedies? I wholeheartedly agree. Well, except for Caddyshack that is.

SheridanCat
01-17-2005, 03:44 PM
It's too bad they promoted this as some kind of hilarious comedy. It's a set of sketches of quirky people. The sketches aren't hilarious, they're just amusing and sometimes a little sad. There's no plot, really. If you go to it expecting a laugh riot you'll be very disappointed.

Regards,

T

admo415
01-17-2005, 06:01 PM
I think that is a great point, I know that people who haven't seen it yet, but want to see it because their friends all said it was great. But what they think the movie is, and what it actually is is two very different things.

BWebb
01-17-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Post of the early year. Well done.

Michael Emery
01-17-2005, 06:28 PM
Beernutz-

If you can only find Caddyshack out of that list funny you must be an old timer. Have you seen any of the rest? How is Roadtrip not number one on yours or anyones list? But I'm right there with you, Caddyshack is damn good.

BWebb
01-17-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1.) Roadtrip-Haven't seen
2.) Kingpin-Only funny because of Murray
3.) Anger Management-One of the worst movies of all time.
4.) Caddyshack-Classic.
5.) All 3 of the American Pie's-First one, rest sucked, especially Wedding.

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

beernutz
01-17-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Beernutz-

If you can only find Caddyshack out of that list funny you must be an old timer. Have you seen any of the rest? How is Roadtrip not number one on yours or anyones list? But I'm right there with you, Caddyshack is damn good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old timer, sheesh, guilty as charged I guess. And yes, unfortunately I've seen all those flicks and I stand my original assertion. Just to be fair I'll give you an opportunity to take a shot at my quickly constructed top 5 list. In no particular order:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Duck Soup
Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles
Sleeper

Have at it.

mostsmooth
01-18-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1.) Roadtrip
2.) Kingpin
3.) Anger Management
4.) Caddyshack

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]
ive seen a few of those , some are pretty good, but i have a hard time putting them in any order. although ive seen caddy shack literally at least 100 times, so thats gotta be near the top
how about, in no particular order,
-half baked
-harold and kumar go to whitecastle
-jay and silent bob strike back
-supertroopers
-theres something about mary

Michael Emery
01-18-2005, 12:34 AM
Beernutz-

To my total amazement I actually havent seen one of your top five movies. /images/graemlins/confused.gif And I'm a big movie fan. I'm only 21 though and I generally only see what comes out in theaters. I'm guessing most those movies came out awhile ago. I scribbled down that list though and am going to try to get around to see some of them. Mostsmooth named a movie in his top five that I almost included in mine, Super Troopers. If you havent seen that its worth watching.

MCS
01-18-2005, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic. nh.

(But isn't it "even" and not "ever"?)

MarkL444
01-18-2005, 04:32 AM
anyone who liked this movie should be slapped in the face.

jlpadge21
01-18-2005, 05:48 AM
A whole movie designed around a dork putting on a dance show? No thanks.
This movie was pure hype.

Big Lebowski
Friday
Old School

Asforenotyetmentioned.

MikeyEdge
01-18-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

3.) Anger Management

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think anyone actually saw that.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely you must be joking.

Napoleon Dynamite was indeed Dynamite. I'll admit, you need a certain sense of humor to appreciate it, but the movie is hilarious. Not the top 5 best comedy's of all time, but it could crack the top 10 on a good day.

pokerwisc
01-18-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it is a love it or hate it movie

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think you can put it any better than this. i loved it, personally, because it hit my sense of humor. a friend i watched it with hated it and had to leave.

dibbs
01-19-2005, 03:59 AM
I agree with another poster who basically stated this movie was marketed/promoted in an odd way. To put it in the same category as movies like Anger Management,Caddyshack, Dodgeball, Old School etc. etc. just doesn't seem right.
Those who enjoyed this movie most certainly are those who posess a very certain type of humor, and probably in their life have at somepoint known somebody who resembles characters in the movie.
I thought the pure awkward/completely foreign lifestyle and dialogue portrayed in the movie was absolutely brilliant, and the only thing in film recently that really rivals the burning satire of the greater Simpsons writers. Even so, I feel the movie is a very satirical documentary more than a comedy. While the characters are hilarious, it's still a depressing look at certain areas and lifestyles in the US. I don't know, it's different that's for sure.
I loved it, one of the most original films I've seen in a while.

All this being said, I totally see how people hate it so much.

JMO.

MarkL444
01-19-2005, 05:05 AM
my roommate got a Nap Dyn watch as a promo. it was of similar quality to a kids meal watch. when you pressed a button it said "idiot". he sold it on eBay for over $50. people are [censored] stupid.

(i just want to again mention this is one of the worst movies ever. people think its cool because its different. they think that they are supposed to think its cool for whatever reasons. its [censored] not.

DMBFan23
01-19-2005, 03:12 PM
in no particular order:

old school
clerks
supertroopers
the jerk
happy gilmore

with honorable mentions to billy madison and half baked.

napoleon dynamite was funny as hell, not top 5, but f-ing hilarious. I have a vote for Pedro T-shirt. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

EDIT: I havent seen harold and kumar or the big lebowski. so they might oust one of the top 5, probably the jerk.

TripleH68
01-19-2005, 07:10 PM
This movie was a -1 on a scale of one to ten. Really.

Larimani
01-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Pure rubbish

JoeC
01-20-2005, 01:41 AM
Big Lebowski is the most overrated movie of all time.

Haven't seen Friday but it looks pretty funny.

Wasn't a huge fan of Old School, but I just don't get Will Ferrell like most people do.

Sorry to pick on your list... I'm just pissed I finally rented Big Lebowski last week after hearing everyone rave about it, and was just looking for an excuse to bitch about it.

JoeC
01-20-2005, 01:42 AM
2nd guy in the thread to mention Anger Management... it's really that good? I guess I need to rent that.

MarkL444
01-20-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2nd guy in the thread to mention Anger Management... it's really that good? I guess I need to rent that.

[/ QUOTE ]

i consider it the worst movie ive ever seen

JoeC
01-20-2005, 02:25 AM
Now I have to see it.

I seriously doubt it can touch The Cable Guy or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in terms of crappiness though.

pshreck
01-20-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to not rent it. Worst Sandler movie ever, period, and he has made some bad ones.

rerazor
01-20-2005, 01:21 PM
My list:
Dumb n Dumber
Tommy Boy
Kingpin
Stuck on you

I just saw Stuck on You this weekend, and it was surprisingly really funny. Greg Kinnear was born to do comedy like that. I limited my list to 4 cause no other movie does it for me.

I'd like to give a special thumbs down to Dodgeball...it could have been good but the screenplay was just poorly written.

mostsmooth
01-20-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to not rent it. Worst Sandler movie ever, period, and he has made some bad ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
worse than little nicky? is that possible?

KingMedicine
01-20-2005, 03:07 PM
try a little bottle rocket to spice up your life.

if you get bottle rocket, youll get napolean.

you ever take that bike off any sweet jumps?

admo415
01-21-2005, 03:34 AM
The movie is more than just about a dance scene however...

mostsmooth
01-22-2005, 03:15 AM
im watching anger management right now, its not noticeably funny

LondonBroil
01-28-2005, 01:51 AM
Hystercial movie. It's even funnier afterwards when your quoting the lines from it every day. "What would YOU do in that situation?!"

Edge34
01-28-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The movie is more than just about a dance scene however...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, its about a bunch of crappy actors getting together for a crappy movie with crappy jokes and even worse writing...

I would have left if I hadn't been with some friends of mine. I couldn't understand AT ALL what they thought was so funny about it...

AceHighone
01-28-2005, 04:00 PM
No, I don't get the attraction.

Kenrick
02-01-2005, 04:01 AM
I'm all for most Ben Stiller type of stuff, the tongue-in-cheek, "yeah, we know we're doing a movie" wink-and-a-smile type of thing. Dry humor is my forte`. Napolean had a few moments, but that was about it.

SossMan
02-01-2005, 01:12 PM
yeah, the movie is much more fun to talk about than to actually watch.

FWIW, I can't stop laughing to myself every time I think of Rico hucking the steak at Napolean and knocking him off his bike. Classic.

beernutz
02-01-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Big Lebowski is the most overrated movie of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, for god's sake, put down the crack pipe.

Jonny
02-01-2005, 10:43 PM
[/ QUOTE ]worse than little nicky? is that possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was horrible, but I would say big daddy is even worse than that. In fact, it is probably worse than Napolean Dynamite.

As far as napolean dynamytie goes, I can honestly say I did not laugh once throughout the entire movie. I just sat there and became more annoyed as each second passed. I'm sick of the hype and I'm sick of people trying to imitate stupid phrases from that movie.

Also I think The Big Lebowski is grossly over rated.

As for my list of greats:
Office Space
Meet the Fockers/Meet the Parents
Old School
Dumb and Dumbber

Nottom
02-01-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1.) Roadtrip
2.) Kingpin
3.) Anger Management
4.) Caddyshack

[/ QUOTE ]

The 3rd American Pie movie was terrible. Just a constant series of unfunny letdowns.

Nottom
02-01-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoyed it. I would certainly put it ahead of 50 First Dates, Little Nicky and Big Daddy ... I thought it was about on par with the Wedding Singer. Definately not a top 5 movie, but worth seeing.

The worst Sandler movie ever IMO was Bulletproof with him and Damon Wayens ... you'd think that would have been good, but for some reason they forgot to make it a comedy. My friends tell me Punch Drunk Love was terrible, but since I haven't seen it I won't comment.

Tyler Durden
02-03-2005, 05:29 AM
American Wedding was just okay but the stripper scene was great. Nikki Ziering is smokin'

siccjay
02-03-2005, 07:47 AM
Great movie. For those bashing it, get a sense of humor.

stigmata
02-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Simon Pegg (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0365748/) (Spaced, Shaun of the Dead) rated Napoleon Dynamite as the "funniest film of the year". That's good enuff' for me, because Shaun of the Dead was, actually, the Funniest Film of the Year.

And Spaced was mindblowingly fantastic, but I guess you Americans wouldnt know about that, or even get it.

Edge34
02-03-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As soon as someone explains to me what was supposed to be so funny about the entire thing, I'll laugh.

Probably the only thing I remember laughing at was when Rico threw the steak and knocked Napoleon off his bike.

Maybe this was a love it or hate it movie. I'm pretty sure of where I fit in there.

beernutz
02-08-2005, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Simon Pegg (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0365748/) (Spaced, Shaun of the Dead)
And Spaced was mindblowingly fantastic, but I guess you Americans wouldnt know about that, or even get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what you know. Don't they have filesharing and DVDs over there across the pond?

johnfromvirginia
02-08-2005, 09:05 PM
It's brilliant comedy, but definitely not for everyone. If you appreciate "comic book guy" on the Simpsons or "the lobster" on Futurama or anything on Family Guy, then you'd love this movie. If not, then don't waste your time.

MarkL444
02-08-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As soon as someone explains to me what was supposed to be so funny about the entire thing, I'll laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this. Tell me why it's funny.

johnfromvirginia
02-08-2005, 11:00 PM
It's just not for everyone. Either you get it or you don't. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Gallopin Gael
02-08-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's brilliant comedy, but definitely not for everyone. If you appreciate "comic book guy" on the Simpsons or "the lobster" on Futurama or anything on Family Guy, then you'd love this movie. If not, then don't waste your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant is about as far away from the word to describe this movie as humanly possible. I appreciate all of those and hated this movie. It's pure drivel.

mcteecho
02-09-2005, 11:49 AM
You can't TELL somebody why something's funny - either you find it funny or you don't. Many people found it funny. You didn't. You probably find something funny that the others don't (Family Circle cartoons?). Move on.

ContactGSW
02-15-2005, 05:54 PM
Nice analysis. I think the movie took on a lot more humor to me when I looked at it as a movie made by Mormons. Mormon humor, I'm laughing right now.

KidPokerX
02-15-2005, 08:04 PM
"it's only the greatest movie ever ... GOD!"

$DEADSEXE$
02-23-2005, 03:26 AM
If you don't like Napolean's character which is key to enjoying the movie, then your going to absolutly HATe this film.
I saw it and didn't exactly laugh all the way through but I did enjoy it...however it is a movie that when you talk about scenes etc with friends..you grow to like it more and more and enjoy seeing it there after.

This movie made a killing at the box office...it cost like 400,000 and made 42 million in BO alone...not counting the huge DVD numbers. Roadtrip is a classic...if you don't like Roadtrip and hate the Stifler type character etc etc your never going to enjoy this movie.
I've never understood people who dont think Will Ferrell is funny but oh well...I'm just glad I'm not them.

Eat your food TINA!

bernie
02-23-2005, 06:44 AM
It's easily the most valuable hour and a 1/2 I won't get back in my life as far as bad movies.

It effing sucked.

Acting was atrociously terrible, the story was dumb, 1/2 the scenes were meaningless.

Only 1 redeemable scene: The guy knocking the guy off the bike with a steak. That was the highlight. yay!

I'm still pissed my bud made me watch it. I'd rather have watched bad home/vacation movies.

b

MyMindIsGoing
02-23-2005, 08:12 AM
It was so bad I turned it off. That only happens once or twise a year.

B Dids
02-23-2005, 11:51 AM
I understand why people wouldn't like it, but I think that's more because they don't understand it. It took me a little bit of thinking after I watched it to kinda wrap my head around it.

Great movie.

smoore
02-23-2005, 04:29 PM
If you show Napoleon Dynamite to 10 people; 3 will hate it, 3 will love it and 4 will say, "Huh?"

theRealMacoy
02-24-2005, 04:57 AM
instant cult classic

the more i watch it the funnier it gets.
the first time i didn't quite know how to take it.
i knew it was funny but it is so flat, which in the end makes it funnier to go back and watch.

love it!

cheers,
the Real Macoy

Phoenix1010
02-24-2005, 06:30 AM
Don't judge it too quickly, let it sit in your brain and swirl for a while and then watch it again. It's great stuff the second time around. It's a type of humor that you really have to be tuned into to get. Some people just won't though. I thought it was hilarious.

sucka
02-25-2005, 12:31 AM
Yeah, this is definitely not a movie for everyone. It's a love it or hate it thing. I know people who have a great sense of humor that just didn't get this one. I loved it.

It's pretty simply - your not going to talk someone in to liking this one if they don't. That's just the way it is...

BarronVangorToth
02-25-2005, 12:38 AM
What the flip! (http://www.collegeslackers.com/board.php?b=napoleon_dynamite )

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

Super Hint: start click LOTS of buttons really fast and repeatedly.

theRealMacoy
02-25-2005, 07:11 AM
thanks Barron,

these sound clips are excellent!
they are right up there with my homestarrunner clips.

cheers,

the Real Macoy

dlk9s
02-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Personally, I thought the movie was friggin' hilarious. But I understand that it takes a certain sense of humor to enjoy that sort of thing. Someone mentioned Punch Drunk Love earlier - I think people who liked Dynamite will like that movie - similar weird humor. I thought Punch Drunk was great and Adam Sandler's performance, in my opinion, was worthy of consideration for one of the million awards that are out there.

As for the criticism of the acting in Dynamite, I honestly think that the "bad" acting was part of the humor. It's not that they can't act, it's that the "terrible" acting style contributes more to the goofiness of the characters.

By the way, check out these (http://imdb.com/name/nm1417647/photogallery-granitz-0) pictures of the cast. There are some pictures of what John Heder looks like normally - weird seeing him not look like a loser. Same with Kip. He's actually a decent looking guy.

ElSapo
02-25-2005, 11:42 AM
I saw this movie last night, by chance, and this thread was bumped up this morning...

My thoughts -- No, I didn't particularly like the movie. It struck me very similar to Punch Drunk Love: A very well made movie from a very poor story. Or lack of story. Both films, however, have gotten great reviews from people I respect and so it's obviously a personal-taste issue.

I did think it was well made, and everyone seems to cite it as "quirky," as if this is enough.

I found little to identify with -- the characters don't seem to take action upon themselves to effect a change, there's little motivation and many characters are simply not likeable anyways. And while you don't, maybe, need "likeable characters" you can identify with to make a movie enjoyable I do think there usually exists similarities in motivation between a movie or character and a viewer.

Ultimately, we see... Pedro elected, through no action of his own, and Napoleon dance, but why? The only two characters who actually seem to change on their own also seem to be the two least-likeable. The Uncle, who begins selling crap products and I guess begins dating a "client." He's a sleazebag living in the past, but he takes the most steps towards changing his own life. And Napoleon's brother (is this right?) who apparently meets his "soul-mate" in an internet chatroom.

There's a lot in the movie to think about, I guess. And parts of it did make me laugh. But no, I didn't like it. It did not appeal to me. But it was very well done.

It also makes me never want to visit Idaho. Or Iowa. I forget which is was.