PDA

View Full Version : Pretending to have a flush draw.

lorinda
01-16-2005, 11:48 PM
Thoughts?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t1525)
CO (t740)
Button (t930)
SB (t1470)
Lorinda (t760)
UTG (t580)
UTG+1 <font color="#A500AF">(Reasonable Player)</font> (t925)
MP1 (t1070)

Preflop: Lorinda is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 <font color="#A500AF">(Reasonable Player)</font> raises to t60</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls t60, Button folds, SB calls t45, Lorinda calls t30.

Flop: (t240) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Lorinda checks, <font color="#CC3333">Reasonable Player bets t85</font>, CO folds, SB folds, Lorinda calls t85.

Turn: (t410) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Lorinda checks, Reasonable Player checks.

River: (t410) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Lorinda bets t150</font>

Lori

zaxx19
01-16-2005, 11:59 PM
Pretty standard play...isnt it?? Imaginary outs I mean with position..or just a good bluff on the end with postion on a scary board. Take your pick its a pretty useful play that I use several times a tourney. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

skoal2k4
01-17-2005, 12:02 AM
looks like the bet reasonable player had on the flop was just a continuation bet of sorts... If he had something, I think he would bet the pot to take away drawing odds. small bet plus check on turn makes me think he's weak... small to medium pocket pair or AJ/AQ ? I like the stab at the pot when that third club comes... just a rookie's opinion though /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Robbie

jd2b2006
01-17-2005, 12:07 AM
The way you played the hand with the check/call on the flop and check on the turn made it look like you were drawing. Additionally, the smallish bet on the river screams that you made your flush and want to get paid off. Villain's small bet on the flop and check on the turn sounds like they are weak so a bet on the river seems reasonable. Even if they made their flush on the river, you will find out about it with the bet without using too many chips. How did it turn out?

Irieguy
01-17-2005, 03:35 AM
I'd like this play a lot more if the blinds were 50/100, you had 2800 chips and the reasonable player was in second place of 6 players.

Irieguy

Myst
01-17-2005, 05:47 AM
I like this line, but I would have bet out at least 200 on the river. 1/2 pot screams out, I have the flush, and I wanna get called. 150 into a 410 pot looks awfully weak to me.

curtains
01-17-2005, 06:50 AM
As fun as it is to play a hand like this and succeed, I like to avoid these gamble type trying to be a genius situations, especially if its a $30 buyin (Meaning I would just fold the flop).
The river I like more. $150 should make them fold as often as $200 would.
(Forgive me, I don't know what the buyin was, I mistook BB size for buyin. However due to stack sizes it seems it was $30 or under.)

lorinda
01-17-2005, 07:03 AM
$30 buyin.

I would fold this flop at least 9 times out of 10, which is why I thought this hand was interesting.

The circumstances need to be exactly right, and I felt I had the following points in my favor.

1) Maximum chance of hitting the 'flush' that I'm representing. Some limpers have come and gone so there are probably as many clubs as anything else in the deck.

2) Minimum chance that I lose to the hand I'm trying to represent.
The A, K and T of clubs are all accounted for. An EP raiser with QJc is the only hand I fear if I represent, other than a set.

3) Some outs that might be tasty.

I have three gutshots to the nuts and one more to the likely best hand, the fact that the board will read so high if I hit this gives me a large chance of getting paid a stack.

4) I believed he was capable of folding to a "flush" if it came.

Lori

curtains
01-17-2005, 07:12 AM
Points 1 and 2 seem a bit too exotic for me. Point 3 and 4 are the only relevant ones IMO, but ok I'd still just fold, but I understand that sometimes you just want to try to make a move against people you know.

lorinda
01-17-2005, 07:14 AM
I'll concede that 1) is OTT, I think 2 is relevant though.

I'll just clear up that 300 tourneys ago I decided to post some interesting hands.
This is the second /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Lori

curtains
01-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Sorry but I still feel that 2 is irrelevant. I mean if the clubs were lower there is still a very small chance your opponent has a flush draw.
In general I'm not going to just give a preflop raiser any credit for a flush draw, they are just betting because they are supposed to bet.
Mainly Im saying that 2 is irrelevant because it's basically the same case regardless of the cards on the board when headsup with a preflop raiser.