PDA

View Full Version : Omaha Books

PJS
01-16-2005, 10:52 PM
I am fairly new to Omaha, and there is considerably less books to choose from than Hold'em. Any advice on a range of books worth buying.

Also, anyone read "Gambling for a Living" by Sklansky and Malmuth? If so, what did you think and would you recommend it?

BlueBear
01-17-2005, 04:33 AM
I find "The Science of Poker" a helpful read. It approaches omaha from a heavy probabilist (pot-oddish) and mathematical point of view and advocates a very tight style. There are other books too, but their names escape me for this moment.

npc
01-18-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am fairly new to Omaha, and there is considerably less books to choose from than Hold'em. Any advice on a range of books worth buying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Ray Zee's book is excellent. It is must reading at least at some point. I wish I could recommend a really good first book on Omaha8, but I don't think I've read such a thing. I think Tenner and Krieger's book is pretty decent, and I like Boston's book as a reference, but it isn't an appropriate primary book.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, anyone read "Gambling for a Living" by Sklansky and Malmuth? If so, what did you think and would you recommend it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I found it worth reading but I don't think it was either's best work. A full review is here:
http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/gambling/gambling_for_a_living.html

IronDragon1
01-18-2005, 02:17 AM
NOTE: My discussion is taken in the context that you are asking for recommendations for books on straight omaha high. If you mean 8/b as well I would wholeheartdly recommend Ray Zee's book

On this (and the omaha) forum people seem inclined to:
-"Omaha Hold'Em Poker" by Bob Ciaffone
-"How good is your Pot-Limit Omaha?" by Stuart Reuben
-"Pot-Limit and No-Limit Poker" by Reuben and Ciaffone
along with the book the aforementioned book by Mahmood N. Mahmood and strangely enough, the PLO chapter of Phil Hellmuth's "Play Poker like the Pros" is not all that bad.

On a related note, I have ordered the seldomly discussed "Championship Omaha" by T.J Cloutier and Tom McEvoy and will post a review in about a week or two from the time I get it.

PJS
01-18-2005, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Any idea where I can get the "omaha hold'em book" by Ciaffone?

MEbenhoe
01-18-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies.

Any idea where I can get the "omaha hold'em book" by Ciaffone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try amazon or half.com

As Zehn
01-18-2005, 01:49 PM
You can order any of Ciaffone's books directly from the author's website @ www.pokercoach.us. (http://www.pokercoach.us.)

Tom Bayes
01-18-2005, 01:50 PM
You can also buy books directly from Bob Ciaffone. I ordered his omaha holdem book and his NL/PL book and he was very prompt in sending out the books.

MEbenhoe
01-18-2005, 03:08 PM
yeah thats all nice and good if you wanna pay cover price + S/H.

djr
01-18-2005, 03:28 PM
is science of poker a straight high book or hi/lo split?

Womble
01-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Does the omaha holdem book cover starting hands in depthfor HI/LO? This is my biggest problem with the game.

I think I can use the holdem techniques post flop and realise that you need close to the nuts to continue in omaha

partygirluk
01-24-2005, 07:06 AM
What book would you recommend for Omaha Hi only

i) Limit
ii) PL

johnnybeef
01-24-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does the omaha holdem book cover starting hands in depthfor HI/LO? This is my biggest problem with the game.

I think I can use the holdem techniques post flop and realise that you need close to the nuts to continue in omaha

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true to a degree, the thing you must realize about omaha however is that if drawing you must be drawing to the nuts, and in hi lo many times you are drawing to half of the pot. everyone should do themselves a favor and pick up three books that have taught me a lot about omaha and omaha hi lo. They are: Ray Zee's book, ciaffone's omaha holdem poker, and SS2 (lyle bermans section is quite good).

Freakin
01-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Just to clarify, the book by Zee you are all referring to is Hi/Lo split FAP? If so, I think i'll put an order in for that today; I've been looking to improve my O8 game.

Freakin

QuickLearner
01-24-2005, 02:41 PM
I just saw (on Amazon) that there is a new version of Bill Boston's book coming out in August '05.

Gallopin Gael
01-24-2005, 02:51 PM
How is the old version?