PDA

View Full Version : 10/20 Showing Weakness

ALL1N
01-16-2005, 10:13 PM
This hand involves the guy on my right (call him RHO). I have a pretty weak table image, and in the last few laps I have:
-Isolated BB, my RHO, and folded to a river bet with AK on 543,Q,7 after betting flop and turn.
-Bluffed at a flop from BB, had RHO opponent call, check check turn, and he picks up the pot on the river.

RHO is loose, generally passive and thinking.

The hand:

CO and SB (RHO) limp, I check my BB with T /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Flop A /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I bet and only the SB calls.

Turn 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB checks and I check.

Zele
01-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Despite what has gone on the last couple orbits, I bet the turn against this loose-passive player. He'll likely call you down with any hand he'll bet and call a river raise with; and considering that on one hand he might not bet the river for you, and on the other hand he might be trying for a CR with an A, you're better off playing straightforward.

Trix
01-16-2005, 10:55 PM
He may also decide to check the river to make you bluff as you have been folding to his valuebets if he has some kind of made hand, which is the most likely on a A83r board.

Graham Handler
01-16-2005, 11:14 PM
I think the play of checking the turn and going for the raise on the river is the optimal play not for this hand but for future hands. You need to create a strong table image that let your opponents know that your checks dont automatically mean you are giving up on a pot. It adds deceptive value and I think it will leave your opponents second guessing what hand you really hold. By checking the turn on this hand when you are isolated with the SB or another player who is paying attention you should be able to get to showdown at a pace you set. Also the play should gain the potential to receive free cards when the opponent fears the cr or raise with their weak holdings. But the most important factor in my opinion is creating a table image that illustrates you are a tricky thinking player yourself and checking through on this drawless board is the optimal way.

TStoneMBD
01-17-2005, 06:03 AM
i estimate that you are giving up .5BB by using this play in exchange for metagame purposes. is advertising worth this much to you? in this situation i think not. there are many times when you can check behind on the turn with strong hands to river raise. save it for later. i think in this scenario it is -EV.

ALL1N
01-17-2005, 06:52 AM
In the 10/20 game, this sort of player will frequently call this flop with Kx, bad draws (gutshots/backdoors) and sometimes QJ style hands, especially if they think that I'll give up easily. Those who play that game will be aware that it isn't easy to push them around. If I can get an extra bet out of this range of hands by inducing a river bluff/call without sacrificing any value against real hands, I'll do it.

I can't see him checking any pair on the river after I've shown my weakness (again, this is just the way they play), or furthermore folding any pair to a river raise, so I only lose out if he would have raised the turn or bet the river with a worse hand. Unless my read is wrong, I doubt this occurence.

TStoneMBD
01-17-2005, 08:14 AM
if you think hes calling the flop here with Kx and QJ then your line starts to look much more like a turn check.