PDA

View Full Version : OMG I now love Boomer Esiason

Clarkmeister
01-16-2005, 08:50 PM
and hate him at the same time.

Just now on the set:

"Manning is doomed to be the Dan Marino of his generation"

Dan Marino is, of course, on that set 2 chairs away.

Then he had to screw it up by following it up with:

"Manning can't win with that defense"

Ummmmm, what more do you want the defense to do? They held it to 6 points for nearly the first 3 quarters. At that point if you blame the defense you are basically saying Manning isn't very good and NEEDS the defense to win the game FOR him.

Clarkmeister
01-16-2005, 08:54 PM
I love Shannon Sharpe now too. Wow was that classic!!! He just lit up Marino for defending Manning.

AngryCola
01-16-2005, 08:56 PM
I honestly don't think there was a whole lot Manning could have done differently in that game.

But that's just MHO, and I'm usually wrong.

[i]*You can tell I'm usually wrong by my record of 1-3 this weekend.

ThaSaltCracka
01-16-2005, 08:58 PM
well, the Colts really aren't that good.

Clarkmeister
01-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Marino: Not Mannings Fault.

Sharpe: How can you say that?

Marino: He didn't have the ball.

Sharpe: That's not the issue. What did he do when he DID have the ball?? Nothing! It's not like the Colts led the league in time of possession! They were 25th or 26th all year! He had the same chances he always does and did absolutely nothing.

Marino:

Lazymeatball
01-16-2005, 09:01 PM
I just love Shanon Sharpe's suits. What a pimp.

sublime
01-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Not Mannings Fault.

peyton probably has anthony robbins on tape repeating this phrase over and over.

razor
01-16-2005, 09:03 PM
nice

AngryCola
01-16-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He had the same chances he always does

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I definitely disagree with that.
The coverages and the Pats pass rush was incredibly effective against the Colts.
I don't remember any other Colts game this season where every part of their offense was completely shut down.
The Pats hurt the Colts in that game.
The Falcons beating the Rams was a blowout.
The Patriots beating the Colts was an ass beating.

CCx
01-16-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just love Shanon Sharpe's suits. What a pimp.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forums.maxima.org/images/smilies/+1.gif

istewart
01-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Rematch, in Indianapolis.

sublime
01-16-2005, 09:06 PM

what?

Clarkmeister
01-16-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't happen because the Colts are a worse team. You see, that's why they play games in the regular season, and the colts lose more than twice as many. You don't *get* the *right* to play at home. They have now beat the Colts 3x in under 12 months. Just lucky I guess.

ThaSaltCracka
01-16-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They have now beat the Colts 3x in under 12 months.

[/ QUOTE ] your sample size is to small.

Clarkmeister
01-16-2005, 09:10 PM
It's excessive. This isn't poker.

sublime
01-16-2005, 09:12 PM
They have now beat the Colts 3x in under 12 months. Just lucky I guess.

one of those *IN* indy

PhatTBoll
01-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Ugh. Well that sucked. For what it's worth, the game really showed the difference in coaching. Tom Moore came out with the worst game plan I have seen in some time. They didn't attack the weak secondary once. Kept running screens and draws that seemed designed for the Pats front 7 to blow them up. Definitely can't blame it on the Colts defense. They played great despite being on the field most of the game.

Belichick is definitely the best coach of this generation, maybe ever. I hope he loses next week, but I don't think he will.

Sigh. Time to root for the Falcons. I guess.

lastchance
01-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Patriots > Colts. All there is to it. I don't know what happened there. Colts normally score 30+ points, and their D was pretty nice, with two pretty big stops in the first half.

Belicheck, Bruschi, Vrabel, McGinest and CO. just shut them down.

Manning's going to be reviewing these tapes for a long time to come.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-16-2005, 10:10 PM
The same Shannon Sharpe that said the Patriots had "no chance?"

The Dude
01-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Come on, Clark. Losing this game wasn't Manning's fault and you know it. He threw the ball fine - he was accurate and made good decisions. It wasn't like last year when he threw ill advised passes and missed his mark. This year the Pats just did an outstanding job of covering the receivers and geting pressure on the quarterback. Also, his receivers dropped an uncharacteristicly high number of passes.

Give credit where credit is due, but losing this game wasn't Manning's fault. You're letting your personal feelings for this guy shade your view of the game.

Clarkmeister
01-16-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Come on, Clark. Losing this game wasn't Manning's fault and you know it. He threw the ball fine - he was accurate and made good decisions. It wasn't like last year when he threw ill advised passes and missed his mark. This year the Pats just did an outstanding job of covering the receivers and geting pressure on the quarterback. Also, his receivers dropped an uncharacteristicly high number of passes.

Give credit where credit is due, but losing this game wasn't Manning's fault. You're letting your personal feelings for this guy shade your view of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 points.

The Dude
01-16-2005, 11:42 PM
I know, it was painful to watch.

ThaSaltCracka
01-16-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

3 points.

[/ QUOTE ]
He is right though.

Clarkmeister
01-17-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

3 points.

[/ QUOTE ]
He is right though.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 points.

Seriously, if Brady only led his team to 3 points, people would say "see, Manning would never let that happen. Brady just isn't in his league." Manning does it "it's not his fault, the Pats have such a good D", or "not his fault, his defense always lets him down".

I get sick of it. All the excuses.

Elway went to THREE superbowls with no RB, WR's or defense. Manning is surrounded by Hall of Fame calibur talent on O and a quite adequate defense.

He gets way too much credit.

Nick B.
01-17-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Elway went to THREE superbowls with no RB, WR's or defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

lapoker17
01-17-2005, 12:05 AM
I don't like Manning, but intimating that there is some underlying lack of respect for Brady is just silly.

Clarkmeister
01-17-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Elway went to THREE superbowls with no RB, WR's or defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those 80's teams had any of the above?

Edge34
01-17-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Patriots > Colts. All there is to it. I don't know what happened there. Colts normally score 30+ points, and their D was pretty nice, with two pretty big stops in the first half.

Belicheck, Bruschi, Vrabel, McGinest and CO. just shut them down.

Manning's going to be reviewing these tapes for a long time to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Colts didn't play good football today. That's the first point I'm going to make, because you're gonna hate my next one.

Once again, the Patriots got away with murder in penalties that should have been called on key plays. Case in point, Corey Dillon's last long run that set up Tom Brady's dive for a score. One of the Patriots' offensive linemen damn near undressed a Colts defender, and on more than one replay angle was shown to have about 3 handfuls of shoulder pads, outside the shoulder.

The league loves this story. And I'd like to see one of these in Indianapolis, just to NOT see all the horrific calls the Patriots always seem to be getting in their favor.

Colts play better, maybe they overcome the calls, maybe not. But still, this fact can't be denied. I'll be thrilled to see the Steelers thump the Patriots. Again. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

craig r
01-17-2005, 12:23 AM
Wow, there sure is a lot of objective facts in these posts. This is not just about Edge34, either. A lot of the sports post are based on nothing but subjective information. And though subjective analysis is important, it is not the only thing. And some people try to say something like, "team x does such and such" without any stats and another person proves them wrong (with objective facts) the original person either changes the subject or goes for a personal attack. I also understand that people put more weight on certain factors, such as defense over offense, HFA, etc...that is not what I am talking about here. But, to make a statment like: IND is the better team without any stats to back it up is ridiculous. Same with saying NE is better without any stats.

fatmongo
01-17-2005, 12:24 AM
If you're gonna keep whining, go to Pittsburgh next Monday and go thru the trash and find some 'terrible towels' to wipe your tears away. They will have no other use after the game on Sunday.

Edge34
01-17-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're gonna keep whining, go to Pittsburgh next Monday and go thru the trash and find some 'terrible towels' to wipe your tears away. They will have no other use after the game on Sunday.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the same fashion as Rodney Harrison used Mike Vanderjagt's comments, I shall remember this next weekend, whilst waving my Terrible Towel in defiance of the NFL's Evil Empire. The Steel Curtain reigns once again!

And yes, I actually do have one. My mom's from Pittsburgh, so I finally have a use for that old thing she gave me /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Edge34
01-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Craig,

I'd like to think I was fairly clear in my previous post. The very first thing I said was that the Colts didn't play good football today. Too many dropped passes, poor tackling when they should have stopped runners in the backfield, and they didn't get to Brady often enough. They probably didn't play well enough to beat the Patriots even in a perfectly officiated game.

And while I know your post wasn't just directed at me, I'd just like to say I don't know who the better team is. Pats fans will point to the classic "we won" argument, which works most of the time. But when a lot of your major victories are marred by officiating controversy (which Tony Dungy is too classy to bring up after the way his men played), it just brings the entire game down in my book. On key plays, the refs either knowingly ignored clear penalties or were oblivious to them. Either one is not a good thing in playoff football. Does it change whether or not "my team" would have won? Doubt it.

This is the playoffs, and the referees assigned to these games should be held to a higher standard. It turned, in my mind, what could have been a very good game between two great teams into me just wondering what the refs were gonna screw up next.

fatmongo
01-17-2005, 12:45 AM
I don't think missed/bad/whatever calls had any game-deciding effect on this game. It came down to turnovers, more than anything else. Though of course there were other factors. But like the game between the Pats and Steelers back in week 8 or whenever it was, I don't think you can turn the ball over 4 times and expect to win. Same thing happened to the Pats in Miami. Ouch indeed.

realwtf
01-17-2005, 02:48 AM
The 3 Amigos man..can't forget about them!

Clarkmeister
01-17-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The 3 Amigos man..can't forget about them!

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They are only called the 3 Amigos because their careers are so forgettable that almost no one remembers their names.

The Dude
01-17-2005, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They are only called the 3 Amigos because their careers are so forgettable that almost no one remembers their names.

[/ QUOTE ]
Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. You can't get anything by me. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif