PDA

View Full Version : Patriots - Steelers

jdl22
01-16-2005, 08:25 PM
It's about time to get this going. The weather here isn't much of a factor since both teams are cold weather teams but it has been snowing all day in Pittsburgh and there's a nice coat. I think it's supposed to stay cold all week and snow on Saturday and Sunday so it should definately be a snow game.

What do you guys think of the rematch? Pittsburgh absolutely stuffed New England during the regular season. I'm thinking it will be a close game.

NoChance
01-16-2005, 08:27 PM
They posted an opening line at Canbet already. They have NE -3. I grabbed Pitt +3 before it comes down.

Lazymeatball
01-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Belichek can introduce Corey Dillon to the Steelers next week. Let's see how they get on.

Also, I can't wait to see how Big Ben performs under some serious pressure.

daryn
01-16-2005, 09:29 PM
man.. for some reason it just dawned on me. it must have REALLY SUCKED to be an indy fan and to watch that game. hahahahah wow. i was so wrapped up in feeling good, i didn't think about how bad they must feel, which is of course an important part of making me feel good.

Nick B.
01-16-2005, 09:36 PM
It probably felt the same as being a Red Sox fan for the past 80 years.

IggyWH
01-16-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Belichek can introduce Corey Dillon to the Steelers next week. Let's see how they get on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is this Corey Dillon guy? I don't think the Steelers have ever seen him before...

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I can't wait to see how Big Ben performs under some serious pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah yeah yeah... I heard the same stuff prior to Round 1. I heard how Belichek was going to put together this insane defense to confuse the hell out of the rookie. What happened?

I think it's going to be a close game, but I really like the Steelers chances. They did it before when everyone thought New England was untouchable and had their long winning streak. Sure NE didn't have Dillon but Steelers completely dominated that game from the kickoff. I really don't see how Dillon playing could have got NE a win from the first matchup. If the Steelers played the Colts next week I wouldn't feel so confident, but I expect another Steelers W against New England... they just matchup too well.

Zoltri
01-16-2005, 09:44 PM
They have the O/U set at 37.
Im thinking the over may get it this time...these 2 defenses are great but I think they both blew their load with perfect games.

Lazymeatball
01-16-2005, 09:44 PM
My comments weren't meant to be misconstrued as Smack talk. I admire Rothelsomething's accomplishments this year and look forward to seeing if he can keep up his perfect season, or finding out that rookies don't belong in SuperBowls.

sublime
01-16-2005, 09:47 PM
I really don't see how Dillon playing could have got NE a win from the first matchup. If the Steelers played the Colts next week I wouldn't feel so confident, but I expect another Steelers W against New England

two questions:

do you actually know anything about football? like how the presence of a premier running back changes the ENTIRE game.

how the hell can you say you would be more afraid of indy? it makes ZERO sense.

i cant believe the stuff some of you people type. i mean its not even like you misspoke. you actually think it aloud in your head and then type it. amazing

Nick B.
01-16-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I admire Rothelsomething's accomplishments this year and look forward to seeing if he can keep up his perfect season, or finding out that rookies don't belong in SuperBowls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Short term memory problem? Brady was a seasoned vet his first trip to the super bowl. He did have intangibles though.

daryn
01-16-2005, 09:53 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
It probably felt the same as being a Red Sox fan for the past 80 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, it's been tough but i love the sox even when they lose

Lazymeatball
01-16-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I admire Rothelsomething's accomplishments this year and look forward to seeing if he can keep up his perfect season, or finding out that rookies don't belong in SuperBowls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Short term memory problem? Brady was a seasoned vet his first trip to the super bowl. He did have intangibles though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no clue what you mean by any of this. Sarcasm doesn't translate very well to the internet.

istewart
01-16-2005, 10:02 PM
He just meant that Brady performed well as a newbie to the NFL, so "rookies don't perform well in Super Bowls" isn't quite true.

It's amazing how WEEI treats Brady. It's like he's the second coming of Christ. He is quite clutch though.

Rick Diesel
01-16-2005, 10:05 PM
It makes complete sense. As a Pittsburgh fan I am very happy that the Patriots won. The Steelers weakest part of their defense is their banged up secondary. Their strongest part is shutting down the run. Dillon would not have made much of a difference in the first game, and I don't think he will be as big a factor as most people think in the second game.

One of the biggest keys for New England will be the health of Richard Seymour, as they will need all the help they can get in stopping the run. It looks like the weather will be pretty bad, and that will favor Pittsburgh as they have a better running game and run defense.

Pittsburgh is probably the only team that terrible weather would benefit more than New England.

IggyWH
01-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Great, I got the bandwagon New Engerland fan after me again...

[ QUOTE ]
two questions:

do you actually know anything about football?

[/ QUOTE ]

This question takes a lot of balls to ask considering your own claim was "#1 baseball is my favorite sport. by a wide margin. football is second, by a wide margin."

[ QUOTE ]
like how the presence of a premier running back changes the ENTIRE game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Corey Dillon is good, but you must not have watched that game or not understand football at all. New England was outplayed from the gun in the first game. Having Jesus Christ as running back wouldn't have changed how the Steelers offense was clicking early. DOes Corey Dillon play defense now too?

You must also not understand football because it was obvious to anyone who knows football that New Englands gameplan coming into the game was to spread the offense and threw the ball like they did a couple years ago.

Dillon would have been a factor in the game if New England jumped out to a quick lead. They didn't though and were down big early. Even if Dillon was healthy, he wouldn't have played much in that first game.

[ QUOTE ]
how the hell can you say you would be more afraid of indy? it makes ZERO sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously again it just shows how little you know about football. Steelers secondary is not that good. Our best corner has a broken hand. Our other corner is like 37 years old. Our safety who is a Pro Bowler is a run stopper, not that great a pass defender. Our typical starting CB just came back from injury but he'll be cut at the end of the season. He makes too much $ and sucks bad.

Indy is obviously a pass-oriented offense. That scares me because Manning, given time, would pick apart our really only weakness on the team.

New England has an okay passing attack, but nothing near as volitile as Indy's. As far as New England though, I think the Steelers matchup great with them. I don't expect to see the spread since it didn't work in the first game so I expect them to try to play a more ball-control offense. That to me plays right into the Steelers hands.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-16-2005, 10:07 PM
No way the Pats repeatedly hand the Steelers a short field like the last game. I'm tempted to say that any team that only beats a second-rate squad like the Jets because the Jets choke has no business even being on the same field as the Pats, but - oh - I just said it.

Never mind. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

IggyWH
01-16-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No way the Pats repeatedly hand the Steelers a short field like the last game. I'm tempted to say that any team that only beats a second-rate squad like the Jets because the Jets choke has no business even being on the same field as the Pats, but - oh - I just said it.

Never mind. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

1 bad game... sh!t happens.

Of course I could say any team the Steelers SMACKED during the regular season don't deserve to be on the same field as them during the playoffs... but I won't.

craig r
01-16-2005, 10:11 PM
He lives in Boston. But whatever, you obviously know what you are talking about.

craig

PhatTBoll
01-16-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
man.. for some reason it just dawned on me. it must have REALLY SUCKED to be an indy fan and to watch that game. hahahahah wow. i was so wrapped up in feeling good, i didn't think about how bad they must feel, which is of course an important part of making me feel good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like a true Yankee fan.

Lazymeatball
01-16-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Having Jesus Christ as running back wouldn't have changed how the Steelers offense was clicking early.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.jesus21.com/poppydixon/pillbox/images/jesus_football.jpg

Dude, everyone knows JC plays QB and not everyone can play like Vick.

sublime
01-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Great, I got the bandwagon New Engerland fan after me again...

i have lived in boston my whole life.

This question takes a lot of balls to ask considering your own claim was "#1 baseball is my favorite sport. by a wide margin. football is second, by a wide margin."

so because i like baseball more than football i cant ask you if you have any idea what you are talking about?

Corey Dillon is good, but you must not have watched that game or not understand football at all. New England was outplayed from the gun in the first game. Having Jesus Christ as running back wouldn't have changed how the Steelers offense was clicking early. DOes Corey Dillon play defense now too?

watched the game. okay you got me. the steelers would have won even if the pats had jim brown running. now on to the real question, will it matter that they have him this game? of course.

you watched two teams play today, one kicked the other ass. you want to play the better team. see, thats weird, cuz i would rather see the pats play the jets, or denver since they are not as good as PITT. i dunno, seems kind obvious to me, but whatever.

IggyWH
01-16-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Having Jesus Christ as running back wouldn't have changed how the Steelers offense was clicking early.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.jesus21.com/poppydixon/pillbox/images/jesus_football.jpg

Dude, everyone knows JC plays QB and not everyone can play like Vick.

[/ QUOTE ]

His dogs will be cold playing in Jerusalem Cruisers...

sublime
01-16-2005, 10:22 PM

followed by:

Of course I could say any team the Steelers SMACKED during the regular season don't deserve to be on the same field as them during the playoffs... but I won't.

yup, we got our first pitt whacko. at least yankee fans have a clue.

NoChance
01-16-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you watched two teams play today, one kicked the other ass. you want to play the better team. see, thats weird, cuz i would rather see the pats play the jets, or denver since they are not as good as PITT. i dunno, seems kind obvious to me, but whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't going to get into this again but anyway...one last post.

Before the Indy/NE game today I heard plenty of NE people saying they would rather Play Pitt then Indy. It's the same thing. Also, just because team A beats team B and team B beats team C, it does not mean team C beats team A. We could go round and round on this one. (New England lost to Miami)

Fact is, some teams match up better than other teams regardless of the records. I bet on New England today. I told you that. That means I thought New England would win. I still think Indy would have caused more match up difficulty against Pittsburgh.

Enough from me. I hate these trash talking threads. They get nowhere.

IggyWH
01-16-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

followed by:

yup, we got our first pitt whacko. at least yankee fans have a clue.

[/ QUOTE ]

LAF... you really don't have a clue do you? Kurn made a joke so I made a joke back. All I did was take his joke and twist it into my own joke. Guess somethings are just hard for the challenged to understand...

fatmongo
01-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Last time the Pats and Steelers played it came down to turnovers. Period. I think Brady was picked twice and the team fumbled thrice. And the Steelers fumbled once so were +4 in turnovers on the day. As long as the Patriots fix that problem, I think the game will be close, but favor the Pats in the end.

Toro
01-17-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's amazing how WEEI treats Brady. It's like he's the second coming of Christ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because there isn't an abundance of NFL QB's who are 8-0 lifetime in the playoffs.