View Full Version : need advice on books

TStokes
01-16-2005, 01:22 PM
hello everyone I have been playing poker for about a year, but in the last few months I have just now gotten serious. I currently own theory of poker, but I have not finished it. I was wondering if I should purchase hold em poker or if there would be no reason for me to read it? thanks for any advice

yeltzen
01-16-2005, 01:50 PM
Yes.
Also make sure to purchase every single 2 + 2 book there is.

cowboyzfan
01-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Nothing wrong with Hold'em Poker, I have it, and it is good. It is basically the first book written on Hold'em and was written when there was only one blind. There are some footnotes that alter what is in the written text.

The standard reccomendation is to start with Winning low limit hold'em by jones and/or Internet Texas Hold'em by Hilger. After playing for a while, and rereading the books, you need to read Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed Miller.

Also, if you are serious about poker, you should finish TOP

TStokes
01-16-2005, 05:27 PM
thanks I plan on finishing TOP but I was not sure if I should wait and read hold em poker first.

cowboyzfan
01-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Well it would not be a horrible idea. TOP is a tough read and is not going to teach you the mechanics of Hold'em. Most people would start with an introductory book to Hold'em such as Hold'em Poker or WLLH, and then go for TOP.

TOP will help you understand advanced books such as Small Stakes Hold'em and Hold'em Poker For Advanced Players.

TStokes
01-16-2005, 06:08 PM
thanks a lot cowboy im going to look into getting hold em poker now.

deacsoft
01-16-2005, 06:58 PM
It's well worth it. I like to suggest it to new players as a first read. The reason being, it's a much easier read than many other 2+2 books and it will get them accustomed to the 2+2 style of writing. I don't think there's any problem with you reading TOP first, but I wouldn't recommend skipping HP all together.

TStokes
01-16-2005, 07:21 PM
thanks for all the advice I plan on picking it up pretty soon.