PDA

View Full Version : Calling station to a mouse

DeeJ
01-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Opponent here is a tight passive 10% VPIP and 4% PFR.

How did I do? I hated the river decision.

Paradise Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 <font color="#A500AF">(Mouse)</font> calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 <font color="#A500AF">(Mouse)</font> calls.

Flop: (5.40 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Mouse checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Mouse raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Mouse bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.70 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Mouse bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB

Harv72b
01-16-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm curious about what hands you think you're ahead of at any point here, especially after the mouse check/raises you on the flop. A 10% VPIP is not going to be playing T7 from UTG+1, so you're looking at either a limped AK (very possible with a 4% PFR), KTs (even that I consider unlikely given his stats), TT, or 77. I think you can safely fold the flop after the c/r, or if not, definitely fold when the turn doesn't bring your Q.

StellarWind
01-16-2005, 02:25 PM
You don't give me anything about his postflop play or the sample size for his preflop numbers. I'll assume you have a pretty good sample and that he remains fairly tight/passive postflop.

Preflop and the flop bet are fine. Once you get checkraised I think you need to see a card so the flop call is correct.

That this player would checkraise a PFR on this rainbow flop is very scary. My top four hands for him on the turn are: TT, 77, AK, and KQ. You have 4, 4, 4, and 5 outs respectively.

Other reasonable hands are KTs (2 possible hands, 9 outs) and QJs (2 possible hands, you are ahead but he has 7 outs, would he make this play?). All other hands seem inconsistent with his preflop stats or qualify as aggressive bluffs.

There is no way that calling the turn and folding the river can be correct with so few outs. To call the turn you must believe that your chances of catching a bluff are good enough to put another 2 BB in the pot. I just cannot see how that can be correct.

I fold the turn.

The bad river card further hurts your chances. I fold the river.

DeeJ
01-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Yeah, sorry my sample size is real small (like only 30 hands) and hence I've only seen him actually play a very few hands; what I have seen leans more towards passive throughout. So I don't really have a strong clue what he is like postflop. He may be tight-passive-aggressive (a TP-A) or even had bad cards throughout /images/graemlins/confused.gif ... thanks for the note. To the content -

Since he's smart enough to be tight I assume he would raise anything like TT or up/AK/KQ(maybe?), and I was guessing that he would limp with Ax suited where x is small or any pair like 44 - 88. Or maybe TJs or JQs. But I really didn't know because of the sample size.

The check-raise confused me, and it could have been to try to win the pot right there or because he had a hand with a T or 7 in it. Or some two pair he wanted to protect. I had no idea. I wasn't folding with my gutshot and Ace for one bet though.

The Jack was kind of a good card, but might easily have given him 2 pair or something else. I didn't want to raise because I could be far behind, or slightly ahead if my Jacks were good. So I wussily called and hoped for a Q /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The river was the hard part. It's either a really cool or scary board for him too, I've given him no real information (the only good part about being a calling station). I expected him to check (and I would've checked behind) with the paired Tens but he bet into it. I figured I was probably good often enough but had no real idea what was about to come. /images/graemlins/blush.gif