PDA

View Full Version : Never used a Stop and Go - Was this the Right Time?

etgryphon
01-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Hey All...

Details:
Home tourny, 14 people two tables 7 per table, Wicked Blind escalation every 15 mins:
10/20, 20/40, 30/60, 50/100, 100/200, 200/400, 300/600
500/1000 etc.

Started with 1000 chips, top 3 pay, Down to 8 people when down to seven combine to one table. 4 people left at our table. Girl on Button has the chip lead I'm in the SB. I have 1300 in chips after posting. There is a real short stack in the BB with like 200 chips after posting.

Reads:
The girl(Villan) has rivered a few cards to win her chip lead. She plays any Axs, KQs-K9s, QJ-Q9s, from what I can see. She limps all the time rarely raises. She hasn't played much. She has layed down a few to a big raise. She has about 3000 or so.

BB: Life support and is probably going to go allin after posting the blind.

Hero: Dealt A6o.

Preflop: EP folds, Button(Villan) min-raises 400, I call, BB goes calls which is allin.

Comment: I'm thinking I have a good chance is no broad way shows up for the flop. I think I have a good hand agaist the BB. Never seen the min-raise from Villan but I think this a good time to go for the Stop n' Go.

Flop: 10 5 3 (rainbow)
Hero raises allin 1000...

Was this the right time? Good Flop? The blinds where going up to 200/400 next hand. I've never used the Stop and Go before so I'm trying to work out the right time for it.

-Gryph

ReDeYES88
01-16-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She limps all the time rarely raises.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: EP folds, Button(Villan) min-raises 400

[/ QUOTE ]

. . hmmmmmm. . .doesn't look like she limped this time. better holding than usual?

so, with 8 people left the average stack is t1750, and you have t1300 after posting ...blinds at t100/200.. ..you're not quite in bad shape yet.

[ QUOTE ]
The girl(Villan) has rivered a few cards to win her chip lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

. ..sounds like she has trouble getting away from a hand when she's behind, and is more likely to call your flop push than the average player. If she does call and loses, she will still have a slightly less than average stack of t1600. I'm not sure you have as much fold equity here as you think.

[ QUOTE ]
She plays any Axs, KQs-K9s, QJ-Q9s, from what I can see.

[/ QUOTE ]

her possible holdings

KK-77: you have a 27% chance of winning
55-22: you have a 45% chance
AK-A7: you have a 22% chance
A5-A2: you have a 39% chance (big odds to chop)
KQs-K9s, QJ-Q9s: you have a 55% chance at best

considering that I don't think you have much fold equity, are a slight favorite at best (to the all in BB as well as the villian), and you are bluffing to a dry side pot, I think I muck this PF. Yes, you will have t1300 and the blinds will be at 200/400, but there have to be better situations coming up to get your money in the middle, as well as a big enough stack to carry some fold equity when shoved PF.

Also, consider that even if she does fold here and you win the pot from the BB, your cards will be exposed for the others to see because the BB is all in. After your opponents see the play you made with A6o, this very well could increase the likelyhood that future steal attempts by you are called or reraised, decreasing future fold equity.

She called, huh?

Cry Me A River
01-16-2005, 01:29 PM
I really hate limping/calling with weak aces. IMHO, you pretty much either need to raise/push or fold.

If you think you can push her off a hand she likes enough to raise (sounds unlikely) then I'd push PF. Otherwise I fold PF. There's just too much chance you're dominated by AK-A7 here or, as mentioned previously, in some kind of coin-flipish situation against a PP. Really, your best case scenario is you're up against a weak king and even then you're not exactly way ahead...

If you really, really must see the flop, then I'm taking it real slow unless I at least pair up. Making a move against a big stack chip leader who's raised PF is generally suicide. And if she was playing Ax and you were ahead of her weaker ace there's now a 50% chance she's paired her kicker (The 5 or the 3) so you're now way behind and she's probably not folding that pair.

Insty
01-16-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was this the right time?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Never bluff into a pot that has someone already in it all in.
You are going to have to show your cards.
You still have to beat the BB and at the moment, you have nothing.
It's likely either the button or the BB have an Ace and your kicker is nothing to write home about.

Stop and go is mostly useful for winning a big pot because your opponent folds.

This is not a good time.

Why did you think it was?

Absolution
01-16-2005, 02:17 PM
I think you're done here. I doubt you have much fold equity and I've found that the minraise from weak players often represents a strongish hand. AJ wouldn't surprise me at all. You are also likely up against KT-JTs or at least a medium pair.

skoal2k4
01-16-2005, 03:03 PM
I don't like the stop and go here...

1) your hand isn't made. When I use stop and go, I like to do it with medium pocket pair (77-TT) and when my all in would put at least 40% dent in opponent stack. Nobody really likes risking that much unless they have a pretty damn good idea that they'll win.

2) Player you're up against rarely raised, yet she min-raised this pot... that indicates to me that she has something. If she's had to play out to the river to win a couple times before, then she'll probably call you're allin if she feels she's got any chance at all at winning.

Blinds going up next hand... good because you're on the button next hand. No need to make a move here. You have the best spot for the increase. You get to wait the longest before the BB gets to you.. wait for a better spot to make your move.

btw... board doesn't matter for a true stop and go, as you push on any flop

Robbie

etgryphon
01-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Yeah, i was an idiot...

I thought it was the right time because I know if she didn't connect she would fold. The min raise should have sent some warning bells off.

She had pocket Tens and made the set and I'm out. Funny enough the BB made a straight with his 24o and tripled up.

Do you guys think that the blinds were too aggressive. I felt the pressure all the time, but maybe it was just in my mind

-Gryph

etgryphon
01-16-2005, 05:28 PM
I didn't know the BB was going to go allin. I guess when he did I should have just check-folded.

-Gryph

curtains
01-17-2005, 08:06 AM
This isnt the right time, because even if she folds you will lose a large % of the time to the allin player. Also because of the allin player, its a lot more likely she will check, thus giving you the chance to see if your hand is good or to suck out on her.

curtains
01-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Also I would fold preflop, and wait till I have a bigger chance of winning without a showdown

schwza
01-17-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys think that the blinds were too aggressive. I felt the pressure all the time, but maybe it was just in my mind

[/ QUOTE ]

they were fairly fast. that would be a normal speed online (maybe a touch slower than most?), but since you can play twice the hands online as in real life, yeah, these are some fast blinds.