PDA

View Full Version : Did I have to get involved?

Deelah
01-16-2005, 10:53 AM
$50 PL tournament, 99 players, 31 left. 9 prizes. Im in 12th place with about 5k in chips.

Blinds 100/200

PokerStars (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero posts a blind of 100.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to 700</font>, Button folds, Hero (poster) calls 600, BB folds.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets 1600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to 2889 allin</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Opponent had 99 for a flopped trips and cripples me.

I had a pretty big stack and felt TT was a hand too good to throw away. I thought the flop was good because if he had AK/AK he missed it and if he has a high pair I have some decent outs, thats why I bet the flop.

Did I really have to get involved in this hand. How good/bad did I play it?

I have started out really good in tournaments lately but I think I need to think about survival in the middle/late stage more than I do now. Is this a hand I can play more soft in any way?

Re-raising preflop is maybe a good idea?

Give me your thoughts, they are appreciated!

TheJackal
01-16-2005, 11:07 AM
This is a tough one, but I don't think the bettor has AK/AQ, if he does, it's probably suited in hearts. Of course I have no idea because I wasn't at the table, but I think only a complete nimrod would raise the rest of his chips in there with ace high on that board. I think I would have played the hand the same way, although I might have bet less on the flop than the entire pot, of course it doesn't make a difference since I would assume the bettor will move all in with his hand anyways. I don't see how you get off the hand, you can't fold for another 1000 since there is already 6k in the pot. It's pretty much a hand where you both played it correctly, you just happened to get unlucky.

Deelah
01-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Sorry for entering this post like a hundred times but the internet connection screwed up on me.

Thanks for your post Jackal, waiting for some more thoughts!

Punker
01-16-2005, 11:42 AM
If you were going to play this hand (which I think is fine), you might as well open jam on the flop to put more pressure on hands like AJ or similar.

jennicide
01-16-2005, 12:07 PM
I would have to agree with the re-raise to PL on this one. If the player comes back over the top of you, call. He probably figures he's going to race, as should you in some situations. Personally, I feel this late into a tournament, if I can't win a coin toss, it's "just not meant to be," and onto the next tournament. Some players even lay down 99 and below here because they think or know they are way behind. I've also run into overpairs with this hand, however, I race much more than that and not upset in the least if I get my money in with the best of it and make the best possible play. I might moan about it for a bit, but there's more hands to be played! (even if it's a new tournament). Tough luck losing to an underpair. Hope this info will help a bit if any.

SossMan
01-16-2005, 01:02 PM
I like the flat call preflop. Let's look at the factors "harrington style"

pot odds: 1000 in the pot. 600 to call. About 1.6 to 1. Decent. probably about nuetral.

Our hand: TT this is a good hand from the SB. Positive.

His range of hands: an open raise in from the CO in the mid stages? We're probably ahead. If it were NL and the stacks were a bit deeper, I think I would try to end this hand preflop. With his stack, and the fact that it's PL, we don't have enough FE to make this play, and making the pot huge preflop doesn't give us any creativity on the flop.
Overall: positive
Position: you will be out of position on the flop. negative.

All in all, I like the flat call. It keeps the pot manageable for some flop play.

On the flop, you have to bet out there. I like a slightly smaller bet if the stacks were deeper, but with the stacks the way they are, I don't think you are getting off this hand no matter what on the flop, so you might as well make him think hard if he has something like KJ (though he's likely not folding anything that you are beating at that point.)

all in all, pretty well played. good job.

SoBeDude
01-16-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm all-in preflop with TT in the SB against a CO open-raise.

-Scott

jennicide
01-16-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you are getting off this hand no matter what on the flop, so you might as well make him think hard if he has something like KJ (though he's likely not folding anything that you are beating at that point.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Soss, if you that's the case, wouldn't you feel aggressive play preflop would be a much stronger move with TT? Particularly if you won't be able to get away from this hand post flop. Personally, I'd be more aggressive preflop with this hand.

jennicide
01-16-2005, 01:51 PM
well..sure, but this is PL...a bit more strategic playing IMHO preflop.

SossMan
01-16-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm all-in preflop with TT in the SB against a CO open-raise.

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot limit

SossMan
01-16-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you are getting off this hand no matter what on the flop, so you might as well make him think hard if he has something like KJ (though he's likely not folding anything that you are beating at that point.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Soss, if you that's the case, wouldn't you feel aggressive play preflop would be a much stronger move with TT? Particularly if you won't be able to get away from this hand post flop. Personally, I'd be more aggressive preflop with this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said that he's not able to get away from this flop (only a Jack overcard and an OESD)
There are plenty of other flops that he can get away from if he keeps the pot small preflop