PDA

View Full Version : Preflop question on vulnerable hands(A7o, A8o, A9o, 66, 77, 88)

Stormwolf
01-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Lets say four people limp including the SB, your on the BB and you have:
1. A7o
2. A8o
3. A9o
4. 66
5. 77
6. 88
What do you do?
Is it possible to raise and profitably play them postflop?I'm having a hard time beliving, lets say I raise with pocket eights, the flop cames something like Qh9h3c, now I bet and its garanteed the at least three people will chase me down because of the size of the pot and *if* I win this pot I endup giving this profit on many other times I have to payoff then when an ovecard cames on the turn and river and many other times the flop will came with something that leaves me with two outs like AQ2, KT7 and I lose my preflop money and the other times I'm betting for the top pair.
The offsuit aces is the same thing, many times your domitated by some fish who wont raise AT and if I hit my kicker people will chase down, overcards may fall and you endup betting for them or paying them off because the pot its too big on the river. Advice?

topspinner
01-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Interesting question. I don't think I would raise preflop with any of these hands against four limpers. You probably won't get anyone to fold and you are out of position and the hands are not that strong. Probably a different situation let's say if you are on the button.

With the pocket pairs,
I think you would be much better off check raising if you hit your set. Otherwise if two overcards come, and there is betting, probably best to get out cheaply.

topspinner
01-16-2005, 10:55 PM
Just wondering...if in the same scenario you are on the button and you have 2 loose limpers in front of you (vpip > 50), which of these hands do you raise?

TStoneMBD
01-17-2005, 06:06 AM
on the button i would raise 88 100% of the time. A9o and 77 also, but those are very borderline. I would raise 88 out of the BB if the limpers are loose and i can expect several of them holding undercards to my 8. there isnt much value to raising this preflop if all the players are holding overcards. if 3 people have hands like A4s, A7o, 56s, there is tremendous value in a preflop raise.