PDA

View Full Version : 6-Way chop??? (kinda long, please vote)

hoterdoc
01-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Here is the setting: 50 seat, EXPANDED home game (no longer in a home.)
$75 + $5 (to cover food, drinks, and chair rentals)

Have recently changed to a new blind structure (starting at T$1-$2, instead of in the T1,000 range)

I realize this is really just a semantic/appearance differece, as long as everyone is on the same stack to start, and same blind schedule. The only importance of this is that the new levels (with some in-between blind levels added) may be responsible for drawing this tourney out longer than anticipated.

cutting to the chase, -

After about six hours, (they usually last no longer than 5 hours), we were down from 50 to 6 players, all in the money.
the payout schedule was:35%, 23%,17%, 12%,8%, 5%

As you can guess, EVERYONE CHOPPED - 6 WAYS!!!
Everyone got third place money, a handsome return on the $75 +$5 entry fee.

The rules state that Chopping is allowed, if all players agree. ( I just never dreamed it would be that many.)

Everyone in the side games, including myself at that point, was pretty surprised. I simply put all six envelopes on the final table, told them what 1/6th of the purse was worth, and let THEM divide it up themeslves.

A handful of lookers-on, felt they should have been made to play on, to a final two or three before chopping.

Part of me sides with this sentiment, as I spend a butt-load of time and energy organizing these things. Part of MY payoff, is watching the inherent excitement that surrounds the final 3-way, and head's up action.

Another part of me realizes:
1) It is THEIR money,
2) MY rules permit chopping, if all players agree (the INVOLVED players did)
3) It was 02:00a.m., and it ran longer than expected (probably largely my fault : new blind structure, etc.)

Thoughts and votes please,
Thanks,
doc

guller
01-16-2005, 10:14 AM
As many as want to in this situation. Game went too long, if it was only midnight I would suspect they would have played it down. Change the blinds and the chop rules to 3 players.

ncskiier
01-16-2005, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't change a thing, except maybe to add a pay spot or two. I don't think it would have taken them much longer to play it out, but I wasn't surprised either at their decision to chop. It was a good payday for all.

chesspain
01-16-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Another part of me realizes:
1) It is THEIR money,
2) MY rules permit chopping, if all players agree (the INVOLVED players did)
3) It was 02:00a.m., and it ran longer than expected (probably largely my fault : new blind structure, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to add:

d) After playing for six hours with a crappy blind structure and no end in site, they wanted to try to get their money so weren't stuck there until daybreak.

hoterdoc
01-16-2005, 10:39 AM
OUCH!
maybe it was a little too flat, but crappy?
were you there?

ncskiier
01-16-2005, 11:01 AM
I was there. It wasn't crappy. I believe the T1000 structure was better, though I'm sure doc will argue that it's the same. I haven't made a final table since the change but maybe the blinds just don't exculate as fast as they should at that point. If you stay with this structure just take out a couple of the upper levels or shorten them to 15 min. The lower levels are fine. You're giving the majority, the losers, the most play for their buy-in.
Oh, and add a spot or two to the payouts. LOL.