PDA

View Full Version : 3/5 200NL Simple Informative Brag Hand From Tonight

fimbulwinter
01-16-2005, 06:36 AM
First off, a lot of you out there won't get much out of this hand, but there are some who need to read it. I've noticed that a large portion of the hands posted here have, of late, become "could i have gotten away from this?", "I obviously made the right play and got sucked out on, what can i do to prevent this?" and "look at this insane, once in a lifetime decision!"

While some of these hands have some meat to them, the real problem comes when people post hands where there are massive technical mistakes and -EV bets being made which turn the bad players we're all used to playing against into people who can't make a mistake. These hands are often overlooked or given short responses because they are so rudimentary for people who have played thousands of hands, but such hands are important because we play so many of them and making even minor mistakes, since they comes up so often, hurts majorly long-term.

that said, here's a very boring hand that I played tonight at a live 3/5 200NL table that normally I would not post as it's very very ABC and somewhat uninteresting. No fancy lines or tricky "just to mix it up" moves, like >80% of the hands I play against opponents I feel are worse than me. If you don't like my line, i'd love to hear, but I do contend that this is the standard play.

Two opponents here just came from a 10/20 limit game and are stuck. the game is somewhat small to them and they're loose, straightforward, macho, weak players. these are the bread and butter NL fish.

I'm in MP with ~350 and A/images/graemlins/club.gifK/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG limps, folded to me, I make it 15 (standard bring in for table) CO (280ish) and Button (150ish) call, blinds fold, UTG folds.

Ok, I'm out of position here and probably have at least some of these guy's outs dominated. I'm not worried about a big PP here and I know that they'll let me know if they flop a set. If the flop comes down bad for me (QJ8, 79T), I will give up or play only the smallest of pots. I know i can't convince them I have an overpair no matter what I do.

Flop(~55):

A/images/graemlins/spade.gif6/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet 50, CO calls (215 left behind now), Button folds

This is a draw-heavy board, so I'm protecting my hand. If he has an ace, I've most certainly got him crushed, but more likely would be an 8 trying to spike a second pair or two clubs or a straight draw. if draws complete on the turn, I'm slowing down, which will also probably slow him down if he has a dominated ace, which is OK by me.

Turn(~155):

Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet 120, he calls (95 left behind now)

Now I am almost positive I am ahead and now i am tied to the pot. I gave him terrible odds to try and complete his draw but still made the bet small enough that he will probably continue chasing a flush or straight and will call with a dominated ace, even at this usurious price. If he just got ahead with AQ, so be it.

River(~395):

6/images/graemlins/heart.gif

At this point my hand is defined and his could still be a myriad of things. The pot is gigantic in relationship to our stacks and none of the draws got there. If i put him in, he calls when I'm beat and folds when I'm not. If he's got a 6, ni han. AQ i'm ok with too. might as well let him bluff away what's left.

I check, he pushes, i call.

He has JT/images/graemlins/club.gif and rebuys.

This is one of the most normal, run-of-the-mill hands we all play. most boards aren't drawless, most opponents aren't smart, tricky and agressive and most boards contain scarecards when you're holding a one-pair hand. If i was deeper and against better opposition, This hand would be one that warranted discussion, but here it's just simple. When you're playing the fish, you will probably pay them off when their T6o turns two pair, but they will pay you off enough long-term in playing those draws to make being aggro with good hands very worthwile. One of your biggest overlays is the fact that you play tighter than your opponents, so be willing to back the few times you do enter a pot with agression. Simple poker led to a big pot taken from a hand that arguably should not have been played in the first place. Take home message is: Don't get tricky, detail-obsessed, scared unless there's a reason.

Remember, poker is eeeeeeasy.
fim

TheWorstPlayer
01-16-2005, 06:43 AM
Fim, for what it's worth I like the way you played it. I posted a somewhat similar TPTK hand on here a few hours ago with the big difference, I think, being that it is three-way. Would you mind letting me know if you think I should have played mine the way you played this one and if not, why not? Thanks. Glad to see you are still playing poker.

fimbulwinter
01-16-2005, 06:46 AM
will do, searching now.

BobboFitos
01-16-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
River(~395):

At this point my hand is defined and his could still be a myriad of things. The pot is gigantic in relationship to our stacks and none of the draws got there. If i put him in, he calls when I'm beat and folds when I'm not. If he's got a 6, ni han. AQ i'm ok with too. might as well let him bluff away what's left.

I check, he pushes, i call.

He has JT and rebuys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong here, but isn't a possible holding of his Ace / weak kicker? And wouldn't he just check behind w/ that? But since he's called all the way down he'll call the rest of his stack?

I wouldn't think someone with only 95 left would bluff at it, given it's a near-certainty you'll call, but then I'd be wrong.

Garland
01-17-2005, 12:24 AM
Well done, fimbulwinter. This is how I'd play it...with one exception.

The blinds structure is $3/$5 and there's a limper from UTG. I would definitely raise to more than $15. I would set a new standard by raising to $20 with no limpers and $5 for each limper, but given that $15 is your table's standard, I would definitely go at least $20.

Other than that, it was nicely done.

Garland

The Armchair
01-17-2005, 12:29 PM
I assume that if he spikes a 9 or club on the river, you call his bet? You're pretty pot-committed there given the chance at him having AT, AJ, or even something like A-rag suited.

I'm a NL noob and this hand was actually very helpful. Thanks.

greg nice
01-17-2005, 01:02 PM
very standard line. i play this hand the exact same way 95% of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed that a large portion of the hands posted here have, of late, become "could i have gotten away from this?", "I obviously made the right play and got sucked out on, what can i do to prevent this?" and "look at this insane, once in a lifetime decision!"

[/ QUOTE ]

good observation.

fimbulwinter
01-17-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong here, but isn't a possible holding of his Ace / weak kicker?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're very right, however I would guess that this player, independant of reads, has a draw more than he has a dominated ace here. I feel he'll make this bluff almost always with a busted draw and may shove it in with a dominated ace. also remember that if we both hold aces, then there are only 2 aces left in the deck, which makes flopping a dominated ace like flopping a set: somewhat hard to do. with those cold callers behind me, esp from a limit game, I'd be more inclined to think they had the "easier" hand to have here, namely a draw.

In reality I had been working on my reading skills after having been inspired by the "how did matt flynn know?" thread and was >90% sure he was on a draw here due to where his eyes were, the quickness of his calls and the almost complete lack of thought that went into them. I decided not to post that because it's not really applicable to the online game where most players are encountering this situation, FWIW.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't think someone with only 95 left would bluff at it, given it's a near-certainty you'll call, but then I'd be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

th point I was making with the whole thread was that obviously a thinking player would probably not bluff here, but these are not thinking players. i made a read of their play and marked them as poor poker players, so I played against them as such by not overcomplicating things and making the mistakes they made very easy for them to make. This is really all one has to do in the vast majority of circumstances, IMHO.

fim

fimbulwinter
01-17-2005, 06:39 PM
yep, you're right.

there are so many possible river scarecards (5,9,/images/graemlins/club.gif,8,6 etc.) and he is probably only holding one valid draw that I feel I'll be ahead most of the time that he bets at one.

the real place I made my money on the hand is on the flop/ turn by offering what is very likely a 1:4 shot ~1:2 odds. If he spikes his kicker/makes his hand etc, I'm not worried about not having protected my hand properly as I want him to call my bet with that hand every time long term.

fim

Allinlife
01-18-2005, 09:29 PM
learning is cool /images/graemlins/cool.gif