PDA

View Full Version : Move of Honor is a Winner

webmonarch
01-16-2005, 03:58 AM
I play on Pokerstars, and generally on either the .10/.25/ or .50 BB tables.

I used to raise AA anywhere from 5x BB to 8x BB, and on occasions 10x BB. I would routinely get called by one or two players, and man did they tend to get their sets, or they would get a flush or straight draw that they decide to chase after my next rather large bet. I was losing with AA routinely. Probably 50% of the time. I would lose big via the chasers and win small.

I implemented the "Move of Honor" with AA (not KK), and in limited action (about 15 hands) I've had GREAT success. Now I am only called by KK and QQ. And I have won these hands every time so far (I know the law of averages will take over eventually, and I will lose those types on sets), but so far, so good. Since so few call, I am usually in a heads up battle, which we all know is much better for aces.

I get plenty of fold-arounds, but in my mind, the $.20-$1 win is better than the bad beat losses that happen so often at these tables.

Anyway, just wanted to report my thoughts on the matter at the very low limits. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TheWorstPlayer
01-16-2005, 03:59 AM
You're making me very very upset, so I'm just not going to discuss this topic on here any more, I don't think. But thanks for your post.

Kaz The Original
01-16-2005, 04:08 AM
I will respond to your post.

I view hold'em sort of like a tree. Preflop play is the root structure. Your play preflop branches out into different levels... mistakes preflop cause mistakes post flop, good play preflop cause good situations postflop.

Have you never had AA and raised 4x the BB preflop and the flop came down Q84. Then you bet the flop and get called. And you bet turn 2 and get called. And you check the river 10 and KQo checks behind you in a decent sized pot and you take down the winner?

Sometimes Ace's aren't so easy to play post flop. You think, I've got AA, I've got to call this best. I recommend you look at the section in super system under "dangerous flops". For A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif here are some bad flops, especially if the pots are 3+ players.

K /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
K /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif

You will think to yourself... but I had aces... I had you preflop... and you will pay off... and you will be wrong.

Here is my advice to you sir. Believe. Just believe your opponents. They're not bluffing you. And don't take your stolen blinds / occasional KK / QQ pot when you can take AK for 5x the BB 14/15. And KQ. And J5o.

Good luck.

excession
01-16-2005, 04:27 AM
You want to get upset by winning bad play you should try the experiment I did when I first started NL Ring.

Buy into PS with only 40% of table max.
Go all in with any AA,KK,QQ or AK (no really).

Watch as you get called 40% of the time and usually with absolute trash (because you are the short stack gambling it up)- my favorite one was A8o.

I did this 40 times in a row. I got called 16 times (40%).
8 of these I was at least 2:1 favorite, 6 I was on a coinflip or against the same hand, only in 2 of them was I a 2:1 dog or worse.

My EV was obviously far better with these hands than you could expect from 'normal' play... sigh...

webmonarch
01-16-2005, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My EV was obviously far better with these hands than you could expect from 'normal' play... sigh...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep! The players on the low limits are awesomely bad. I see what you other gentlemen mean, but I guess that you are playing with real poker players who understand the game and want to avoid wasting their money. There are significantly less of these in the low limits. I'll keep up my experiment for 100 hands or so, but I bet my overall average win is better this way than it was with the improbable draws and sets I was losing to before.

Sorry if you don't like the discussion, but it is what it is on those tables.

Wayfare
01-16-2005, 06:11 AM
I'm very glad it is working for you. I have heard a lot of positive feedback from the article.