PDA

View Full Version : When bubble play gets annoying

Absolution
01-15-2005, 11:56 PM
I've been thinking about my bubble play lately and have been experimenting with some different styles. It's the most tedious and annoying part of the SnG for me. Assuming a game with competent players and a maniac didn't make it, this part of the SnG can go on for a good 20 minutes sometimes if not longer. I find that a lot of the time it just becomes a luck fest when the blinds finally get so high that we have no choice but to go all in on basically any two reasonable cards. Now, if your the big stack obviously it's not a problem because you can just wait for these blinds to eat up the small stacks as long as you pick a few spots to steal here and there. And, if your the shortstack your forced to play LAG anyway to try and survive.

When it's annoying is when there are 4 of you with about equal chips or 1 big stack and 3 others with equal stacks. This is when the luckfest usually results. I'm not really convinced that super tight play is right here. I mean, if it's going to turn into an all-in game anyway, why not try and force some action/take some gambles to try and either build a big stack or take someone out fast so that the round of 3 can begin? I'm willing to play tight here and wait it out, but I'm not sure if I'm gaining anything. If I gamble it up with 4 left I'm either going to go out fast or knock someone else out fast and have a bigger stack. It will speed up the game and I'll generally go into the money with a bigger stack and a better chance at 1st or 2nd.

skoal2k4
01-16-2005, 12:09 AM
you're just now figuring this out?

SlowStroke
01-16-2005, 12:22 AM
Interesting. That is the part of the game that I like the best. You have to play a little closer to the edge. That is the time when small differences in skill levels have the biggest impact. I believe that this is where most of my profits are made.

I play on Stars where bubble play can go on a very long time. More chances for my opponents to misplay a hand. More chances for me to outplay my opponents. I find the early rounds to be the least interesting. Bubble play and heads up play is where the money is made.

Absolution
01-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Interesting, the first response argues for a prolonged bubble play and waiting for your opponents to make mistakes, while the second is agreeing with my argument (I think).

nebben
01-16-2005, 12:50 AM
What would you say is a reasonable hand?

skoal2k4
01-16-2005, 01:03 AM
i push more of my edges on the bubble... i'm not looking to sneak into the money... i want to win. I play extremely aggressive. during bubble play, i rarely call. It's either raise or fold. I take advantage of the fact that most people are meek on the bubble. Play smart, but extremely aggressive. You'll end up busting out with more 4th's, but you'll also have more 1st and 2nds. A great trade-off

Robbie

Absolution
01-16-2005, 01:15 AM
That's exactly my thinking. I find that a lot of time when you're trying to sneak into the money you either a) end up with a small stack and 3rd place, or b) you end up being essentially blinded out and just wasted 25 minutes playing weak-tight. :/ I think I'd rather concentrate on taking advantage of the weak-tight players. If they happen to luck in with a top 10 hand so be it, otherwise I'm probably at worst going to end up with a 50/50 and at best I'm going to frustrate them into making a bad call. I find the former happens a lot. They will realize that you won't play the weak-tight game and they'll call you down with something like top pair and weak kicker or worse.

Gramps
01-16-2005, 02:05 AM
Often times, the best defense is a good offense.

TheWorks
01-16-2005, 04:08 AM
if you are shortstack you have to play aggresive, that is how you make it ITM, if you are scared to push with marginal hands then you should not be playing at that level.